Nissan Trialseeker Gauteng - Bundu Bash 30 May

Cas_1

it was Tamaryn Kietsman, i saw you with her

I too passed you and another guy standing with her. Saw the warmer tied around her leg and assumed the 3 of you had it under control.

Did a 2:54 from B Batch. Legs are sore today. AMPED for Van Gaalen's...!

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Loved the race, great event and all that good stuff.  Did the 40.  I am no podium finisher but worked hard to finish within my personal best only to get stuck at the finish.  Could not even get to the timing thingy for people stopping to take selfies and chat.  Lost a few minutes in the huge crowd with all the disciplines coming in at the same time.  Perhaps they can encourage people to clear the finish area.

It is one of the announcements made most often at these events. Once you have finished, get your medal and cold drink and get out of the way. The problem is people do not listen and hang around and cause chaos in the finish area.

Does one's time get captured by the overhead scanners when you go through the finish line or my the manual operators? I always thought the manual scan is just a double check to ensure your time got captured by the first scanner, but I am not sure...

There was a scanner at the finish, either overhead or directly in front after you crossed the line - I only noticed it when I waited for some friends at the line and I heard is going crazy scanning people coming accross the line in big batches. I think you are correct that the manual scan is just a double check, i only got scanned a minute or 2 after I crossed the line and my time from my gps and what is on livetime is only a few seconds apart. Also one of my friends wasn't scanned by the manual operator and his time was also on livetime.

There are two overhead scanners on the gantry, then we have a backup scanner later on in the chute and the backup scanners at the water table. Your first scan will be your finish time, but because there are so many participants, we just had a few back-ups. 

Livetime does all the timing for Advendurance events. As soon as you finish you can view your results on www.livetime.co.za

Hi...............I is KOOS..............and I likes walks in the bushes

Wearing a jean pant....wif a belt...since they can like to be being twice

I too passed you and another guy standing with her. Saw the warmer tied around her leg and assumed the 3 of you had it under control.

Did a 2:54 from B Batch. Legs are sore today. AMPED for Van Gaalen's...!

Were you on a white bike, with black and red kit?

Yeah, there by the dump site we were supposed to turn right, unfortunately there wasn't a route marker, and we made a left turn. Only after we did the extra loop, they fixed the markings for the 40k. Bit of a unnecessary mistake that cost a few guys podium. But its the first time I ever encouter a problem like this at a Trailseeker. Other than this, it was a great event!

It would be really useful if the organizers could post a .gpx file for these events on the web site. This would go a long way toards solving problems with route marking. It is very easy for a marker to get knocked over, go missing or be interfered with. It would also give competitors the opportunity to practice navigating using a GPS as is becoming more common in the stage races.

It would be really useful if the organizers could post a .gpx file for these events on the web site. This would go a long way toards solving problems with route marking. It is very easy for a marker to get knocked over, go missing or be interfered with. It would also give competitors the opportunity to practice navigating using a GPS as is becoming more common in the stage races.

This request was raised last year as well, but the issue comes in with using private land as well as last minute changes to the route. If people have a gpx file of the route they might go and try and ride it as a practice ride upsetting private land owners. 

With Sani and JHB2C this year they made last minute changes to the route on some days but they then used proper marking and warned us at race briefing that our GPS's is going to shout at us, just follow the arrows. So there are ways around it I guess

To those who had to ride extra laps and are still saying: "great race" - kudos to you!  It's that kind of spirit that I like most about the MTB community.

I started in D, finished the 70 km in 3:24, which I'm happy with. 

As for injuries and First Aid - have you ever considered carrying a small kit with?  Even if you only carry a coule of triangulars, it will help a lot when trying to help someone. 

looking at the 40km seeding, all I can say is I am glad I don't have try fix it.  

Some people that average 45 seeding for every race this year now have a 20 something seeding in the mix.  Allowing them to jump from C batch straight into the A batch.

I feel for all the kids caught up in this fiasco, all because of 1 missing marker board.

I said it last year after Hakahana when the marshal was waving everyone down the same route at a 40/70 split. A simple confirmation marker 20m after the turn will sort it out.

Hell use the motorbike marking system on the corners, double dayglow sticker before and after the turn

Hell use the motorbike marking system on the corners, double dayglow sticker before and after the turn

This. They did this for PEPlett last year. It works unbelievably well. The route marking was fantastic.

Were you on a white bike, with black and red kit?

Yeah, white Tallboy with red, black and white Cargo/Qed Kit.

Tamaryn went to hospital and had to stay overnight on Saturday for surgery on sunday to clean out the wound. Fluid on the joint. Not sure if she is out but hopefully she is by now. 

Tamaryn went to hospital and had to stay overnight on Saturday for surgery on sunday to clean out the wound. Fluid on the joint. Not sure if she is out but hopefully she is by now. 

Home and in good spirits.

Rain predicted for later this week! A soggy mudfest at Van Gaalen is a big no no. My son lost a derailleur in the mud there last year.

post-40088-0-46198900-1433188542_thumb.jpg

Archived