ZTR Crest Rims...disposable one day race wheels?

NielC

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Until not so long ago I was way over that weight limit and my Crests are still fine. I don't ride that bike often but still .... even at my 'lightest' I will still be at the weight limit and I'll keep on riding them. I've had them since late 2011 .....

The guy is talking absolute nonesense. I weigh 100kg and got a set of those wheels with stans hubs on my Silverback storm. They are 4 years old, running true and I would not change them for any other set.I ride trails, xc and enduro with them. Smile and enjoy those babies!

Crests are lightweight XC rims.  Because they are lightweight they are not as durable as say the Arch EX and Flows.  On 29" wheels you should stick to 32 spokes to reduce the rim flexing which eventually causes cracking around the nipple holes (although Crests are not as prone to this as say Blunt SL's)  The other area which may be problematical is the clincher bead is very shallow so if you hit a something hard with a tire that is not inflated enough you can end up with a dent going through to the double section of the rim which is not possible to knock out.

I love my Crest wheels

I have cracked a frame..but the wheels are still true..

This oak is talking rubbish , there is a set of crest golds that are designed as race only wheels but those are only similar to the normal crests in profile

.......spelling "race" and doing it is two different horses.........so you will be holding onto them forevaaaaaaaaa ;-)

sssshhhhhhhhh, you been around long enough to know I ride, not that other "r" word.

But I would use that "r" word if someone gave me a set of ZTR crests cause they were throw away race day wheels :)

I weight 130kgs. ride on crests. Now I know that the limit is 85kgs, but I did not have the money to get stronger ones. I have ridden mine now for over a year, XC, enduro, single track etc, not one issue.

I have trashed Crest rims but I weigh just over 100kgs. I know many people in your scenario who ride them all the time. I think you are safe.

WOW.   Immediately taking my bike back to the LBS - it came with ZTR so the bike must then also be good for one race only

Might go in for a chain, and walk out with one of those help-my-trap attachments

you mean side wheels ? :nuke:

Hi fellow Hubbers,

So, I would like to have your thoughts and comments on this interesting issue as I'm a bit perplexed by this recent opinion that I've received on the ZTR Crest rims that I have on my MTB! I've very recently been told by someone, apparently in the know, that the ZTR Crest rims that I have on my MTB are actually made as 'disposable, one day race rims' and that I should rather purchase a different set of rims for my MTB. I was advised that I should get a set of rims that are more durable and which are not disposable. Strangely enough, the person that advised me had different rims at his bicycle shop that are, according to him, more durable and would be 'better suited' for me. I was also told that the ZTR Crest rims have a weight limit of 85kg.

To briefly explain my position in this picture - I do cross-country riding with my MTB, which is a hardtail, and I am well below the weight limit of 85kg as I weigh 74kg. I have, despite some research on the google-machine, never heard that ZTR Crest rims are designed to be disposable. I asked this person whether it would be correct to state that, if I've done a race, e.g a marathon, it would be advisable to dispose of the wheels after the race. I was advised that this is exactly what the ZTR Crests were designed for - race, dispose.

Just so you know, I have not bought the 'more durable' rims from the bicycle shop and will continue riding the 'disposable' ones for now. Until I can dispose of them, I will keep them :thumbup:

Your thoughts, questions and comments of these 'disposable race day rims' will be most welcome!

Ciao

Hi fellow Hubbers,

So, I would like to have your thoughts and comments on this interesting issue as I'm a bit perplexed by this recent opinion that I've received on the ZTR Crest rims that I have on my MTB! I've very recently been told by someone, apparently in the know, that the ZTR Crest rims that I have on my MTB are actually made as 'disposable, one day race rims' and that I should rather purchase a different set of rims for my MTB. I was advised that I should get a set of rims that are more durable and which are not disposable. Strangely enough, the person that advised me had different rims at his bicycle shop that are, according to him, more durable and would be 'better suited' for me. I was also told that the ZTR Crest rims have a weight limit of 85kg.

To briefly explain my position in this picture - I do cross-country riding with my MTB, which is a hardtail, and I am well below the weight limit of 85kg as I weigh 74kg. I have, despite some research on the google-machine, never heard that ZTR Crest rims are designed to be disposable. I asked this person whether it would be correct to state that, if I've done a race, e.g a marathon, it would be advisable to dispose of the wheels after the race. I was advised that this is exactly what the ZTR Crests were designed for - race, dispose.

Just so you know, I have not bought the 'more durable' rims from the bicycle shop and will continue riding the 'disposable' ones for now. Until I can dispose of them, I will keep them :thumbup:

Your thoughts, questions and comments of these 'disposable race day rims' will be most welcome!

Ciao

What rubbish!

I weigh close to 100kg, ride a hard tail in XC and marthaton races. Close to 4000km on my Crests and not drama to date. Not even needed to be trued yet.

To be fair, I did go one size up in the spokes but great wheels and a great price.

Ride on!

I'll listen to anyone's 'advice', I just wish some people would supply the toilet paper for me to clean my ears after they've talked so much of *** in my ears. It should be compulsory!

Crests rock!!!!

Archived