131 members have voted

1. 1. What are you going to go with?

• Sram GX
    • Shimano XT 1x11

just received my orders:

GX1000 1X GXP from CRC

XT 1x11 upgrade kit from Evo - Shifter, Cassette (11-40) , Chain, derailleur

Hope they work well together - chainring has 'Sram chain only' printed on it

Just some of their (Shimano are incl on this as well) BS. 

Doesn't matter what chain it is, as long as it's 11sp. KMC, Giant, Shimano, SRAM etc. 

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rode XT for years and got tired of everytime the conditions were bad after 50 or 60 k`s my XT would become a single speed.

Changed to Sram X9 then X0 and now X01 and have never looked back.

Do like the idea of the Shimano 11 speed cassette without needing a adapter but as I said got tired of waiting for it to arrive.

The new GX 10 - 42t is a monster :)

Yup.

Wife rides full XT, almost brand new, I ride 2013 XO (2 x 10)

On the Darling Brew event we rode together and her bike was a SS 35km into the race while mine was fine.

She's got a nicer (read dual sus trail) bike than mine, so I sometimes take it for a spin, but I always miss the precision of my XO.

I won't easily go back to Shimano.

medium will be best.

better tension and smooth shifting

Thanks man, any idea if I will have issues using my current XT 785 24-38 crankset in my 2x11 config?

Thanks man, any idea if I will have issues using my current XT 785 24-38 crankset in my 2x11 config?

No, but just make ABSOLUTELY SURE that the medium cage has the capacity to handle your 45t spread on gearing. Seriously. If you were going 1x I'd say medium all day, but 10-42 /11-42 and a 24-38? That's long cage territory, I'm sure of it.

What's the capacity of the med cage, cos with his setup he'll have a spread of 43 teeth, which I think puts it in the long cage territory

Sram med RD can go 42no problem-i am running this and never a days problem :)

Shimano's 11-speed offers more progressive shifting than most wide ratio 10-speed offerings. 

one ratio less - with all the rest identical. I worried about this a lot before I went 1x10 and honestly it is a non-issue.

don't get me wrong: I am very excited that 1x11 is becoming more affordable

No, but just make ABSOLUTELY SURE that the medium cage has the capacity to handle your 45t spread on gearing. Seriously. If you were going 1x I'd say medium all day, but 10-42 /11-42 and a 24-38? That's long cage territory, I'm sure of it.

Thanks, not going to use the shimano 11-42 cassette, going 11-40 so hopefully medium cage will suffice.

Ordered the stuff yesterday, I will give feedback once I have it installed and have run it for a while.

Chainworx in Durban is busy fitting my XT 11 speed upgrade kit to my 2014 Anthem. I am keeping my old 2x10 crank and blades. I hope that it works!

Running 10-42 single or 10-42 double? 2 very different propositions

You are absolutely correct. When running 1x11 tooth difference can be used to spec rear dérailleur, but with 2x11 it is different.

What is important is the play that the dérailleur needs to be able to take up between the smallest wrap around (say 24-10) and largest (38-42).

So SRAM 2x11 GX 1400 crank uses 24-36 and cassette is 10-42. My new proposed SRAM shifter-dérailleur, shimano cassette and crankset setup set up uses 24-38 crank and 11-40 cassette.

Assuming that the distance between the BB centre and rear hub centre is constant, the play for each setup can be calculated as it is purely a function of cog and chainring diameter. These can be worked out as the distance between teeth is standard at 12.7mm.

So did the calcs and my 24-38/11-40 setup results in 12mm less play than the SRAM 24-36/10-42. So in theory my setup should work at least with respect to the rear dérailleur.

You are absolutely correct. When running 1x11 tooth difference can be used to spec rear dérailleur, but with 2x11 it is different.

What is important is the play that the dérailleur needs to be able to take up between the smallest config (say 24-10) and largest (

Yeah. Exactly. So while the medium cage is fine for a single ring setup, it gets tight when you go beyond that AND have a wide range cassette. 

Yeah. Exactly. So while the medium cage is fine for a single ring setup, it gets tight when you go beyond that AND have a wide range cassette.

I had posted before I finished typing (fat fingers moment), but I edited it. Read again and you will see that I reckon my setup will work.

I had posted before I finished typing (fat fingers moment), but I edited it. Read again and you will see that I reckon my setup will work.

What bike is it? Reason I ask is that I've just found SRAM's compatibility sheet 

https://sram-cdn-pull-zone-gsdesign.netdna-ssl.com/cdn/farfuture/sTuwP23_VJzJytn50DxOK5EgP33HK-ODDtsZRDGHK9Y/mtime:1430932938/sites/default/files/techdocs/gen_0000000004917_rev_c_compatibility_map_2016_mtb_components.pdf

and it says use the med cage on 2x11 on hardtails only. 

If you use it on a full sus, and your bike has chain growth, it may all come to pieces if you are not very careful. 

It'll be fine if you don't go into big ring and 1st, but if you do and there's chain growth, it'll probably take it past it's max operable dimensions and destroy it. 

Question regarding ratios. If I go to XT 1 x 11, 11/40 rear and 32 front, how much top end ( as in big blade) do I lose compared to original XT 2 x 10?

Question regarding ratios. If I go to XT 1 x 11, 11/40 rear and 32 front, how much top end ( as in big blade) do I lose compared to original XT 2 x 10?

I presume your existing big blade is 36, in which case 11%

How I got there...

(36-32)/36

Same small cog, so you need to know what the drop represents in terms of percentage.

You'll effectively lose 11% of your speed at the same cadence as on your old combo, or have to spin 12.5% faster to achieve the same speed.

Archived