'Cheap' tubeless conversion - succesfull!!

NotSoBigBen

OD of car valve is significantly bigger than the hole in the rim . Need to first get a puller to see if I can get that valve through the hole using lotsa force .

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just drill out the hole in the rim. Much better. It won't do any harm.

You have to enlarge the inner hole in any case to create enough space for the thicker bit of rubber around the valve stem.

Goodies - 20" BMX tube with the 'thin' type valve. 

Hi BB

I struggle to find the 'thin' valve type tubeOuch, was that tube a conti/giant/etc? According to the LBS does not exist so i guess need to tell them please order "xyz", size 123 Confused

(I want to keep on using same valve across al the bikes, make maintenance easier)

Last part that i need - maybe I can take on the Krakadouw fully loaded this weekend Wink

Hi BB

I struggle to find the 'thin' valve type tubeOuch' date=' was that tube a conti/giant/etc? According to the LBS does not exist so i guess need to tell them please order "xyz", size 123 Confused

[/quote']

My LBS used Conti bmx tubes (thin valve) to do my "Ghetto" tubeless setup. Bike Haven in Muizenberg.

Hi BB

I struggle to find the 'thin' valve type tubeOuch' date=' was that tube a conti/giant/etc? According to the LBS does not exist so i guess need to tell them please order "xyz", size 123 Confused

[/quote']

My LBS used Conti bmx tubes (thin valve) to do my "Ghetto" tubeless setup. Bike Haven in Muizenberg.

I'm also struggling to find. I've asked the guys from Dunkeld Cycles to find me some, preferably with removable core. Will see if they can get.

Hi BB

[/quote']

I'm also struggling to find. I've asked the guys from Dunkeld Cycles to find me some, preferably with removable core. Will see if they can get.

Idea here, double the rim tap, four turns of insulation tap, or of the sellotape self fusing tap.  Take a shrouder value from any tube cut it out with enough flesh left.  Insert in hole, some more tap if you are unsure.  Now you ready to but the tyre on.

Ben' date=' did not read the whole post....... when you place the BMX tube, what happens to the old valve stem as well as the rubber reinforced area around the valve stem.

What sealant do you use, do you use liquid latex or do you use Sludge? Will the Continental Gravity 26 x 2.3 tyres we use on the tandem work??????
[/quote']

BigH be careful with tandems and tubeless.  THere may be too much pressure for the clincher to bite propery.  and then KAboom, burp.  oops

Insired by your article I tried the ghetto form of tubless system.

I used non-UST tyres, stan sealant, 20'' Shrader valve tubes and tape.  I found it's really easy to do.

It took me an hour to do, most of which time was taken up cutting the excess tube around the rim after having put the tyre on.  I did have use of a compressor without which I dont beleive I could've gotten the tyres to seal.

I have now been riding it for a week and a half I think without any problems!

I've already done the tubeless conversion on two of my bikes, yet i was wandering what exactly is the advantage of going tubeless? Apart from the obvious weight loss Question

Big Ben very interesting reading !!! Thanks for sharing with us I am going to give it a try on my spare wheels .

I've already done the tubeless conversion on two of my bikes' date=' yet i was wandering what exactly is the advantage of going tubeless? Apart from the obvious weight loss Question

[/quote']

As far as I know, tubeless has nothing to do with weight loss! Because the tube is removed, there's no more risk of getting snake-bytes, so you can run lower tire pressures, which equals better handling/grip.

hey hog what pressures would you run on the tubless ??? 

I dunno, I still need to do the conversion Wink

From what I've heard some guys even run below 1,5 bar. It depends on your tires, riding style, and preferred handling characteristics though. You'll have to play around! Big%20smile

I bought a New Scott Aspen and imediately converted with  Joe's. No hassle to install with the standard Scot tyres (cant remember the name but it has thread very similar to the Hutchinson) as long as you have compressor around. Flats!! Thats history. I just had to top up the pressure a couple of times after I removed some seriaz dubbeltjies. I am a bulky 90 KGs and run on 2,5 Bar.

as long as you have compressor around

I think a CO2 bomb should do the trick as well. I'll find out as soon as I manage to find either BMX tubes or Joe/Stan rim strips. Apparently they're in short supply. The one shop I phoned said that they've been splitting up the conversion kits in to get rim strips for their workshop, so they're overstocked on sealant.

• 1 month later...
Hey so I did the 'infamous' 20" BMX tube (20ZAR's) tubeless conversion on a wheel tonight! It was in fact pretty easy' date=' photos tomorrow.

[/quote']

Hi BigBen! Where did you get hold of Presta type BMX tubes - no cycle shop I've called in Pta has any in stock!Cry