What am I doing wrong? Tubeless fails...

ByronH

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

what is most surprising is that it actually did quite well! The sidewalls didnt really buckle going around corners. only the steep cornering descents were too much for it...

yes those Saguaro's are awesome.

i'm 98kg and run 1.8 front and back on Giant PXC2 29er's with no issues.

i thought something could have been wrong with your pump or something since "the guy whose name we can't mention" at Summit Cycles put mine on and said he was surprised how easily they went on.

really strong side walls that stand up to a lot BUT running them at 1bar obviously was a little too much (or too little should I say  ;)

glad you got it sorted - many happy miles...

yes those Saguaro's are awesome.

i'm 98kg and run 1.8 front and back on Giant PXC2 29er's with no issues.

i thought something could have been wrong with your pump or something since "the guy whose name we can't mention" at Summit Cycles put mine on and said he was surprised how easily they went on.

really strong side walls that stand up to a lot BUT running them at 1bar obviously was a little too much (or too little should I say  ;)

glad you got it sorted - many happy miles...

Interesting that, Im a little lighter at 89kg's and been having burping issues at 1.8bar on Rons with the same rims. Think Im going to have to give the Sag's a go next time.

But by measuring it, don't you change the outcome? :P

I also need to get me on of those though!

Yes, but by a measurable amount. It's not a subatomic particle. Or a cat.

If you really want to get it right, connect - reading 1 - disconnect - connect - reading 2, then p = p1 + (p1-p2) and you'll be closer than you ever need to be.

/geek hat off/

If you really want to get it right, connect - reading 1 - disconnect - connect - reading 2, then p = p1 + (p1-p2) and you'll be closer than you ever need to be.

/geek hat off/

If p1 = 1.9 & p2 = 2.1 then your formula calculates p=1.7????

Yes, but by a measurable amount. It's not a subatomic particle. Or a cat.

/geek hat off/

So whats the correct P to pump to, on said pump, without having to measure? i.e new base line? :P

Do the gauges not have a deflator button? Surely the thing to do is to over inflate slightly then lower the pressure to the precise amount with the gauge.

If p1 = 1.9 & p2 = 2.1 then your formula calculates p=1.7????

If connecting the gauge forces air into the tyre, then yes.

p1 - p2 gives you the pressure drop caused by the amount of air that escapes into the gauge, adding this to the first reading gives you the pressure before you connected... on a tyre this will be so small you probably won't even be able to measure it.

It could be the rim not combining with the bead of the tire properly to create a seal.

What you could try is the stans or joes conversion with the valve attached to the rubber rim tape/strip. it usually lies well over both edges of the rim, and when the tire is inserted, you should see the small edge/sliver of the rubber rim tape sticking out between the rim and the tire bead. then with the correct shaking action (look for a Joes installation video) which allows sealent to cover the junction of the tire and rubber strip, a proper seal can be formed, which you literally have to peel apart should you want to remove the tire later.

This should stop the burping, and let you ride at the pressure you want.

A proper tubeless rim makes a much better connection with a tubeless specific tire bead.

edit: ok just read the bit about a faulty pump. sigh*

one thing though, a lot of peeps dont take the time to watch proper tubeless installation videos, and they just chuck he tire on and go riding. The old
Joe's and Stans installation videos on their websites have so many great tips and procedures to getting the tubeless installation right. the correct way does take time, and I suppose not everyone has the patience to learn how to set it up correctly.

Glad you got the problem sorted.  I'm surprised you battled to get the tyre off the rim.  I recently fitted a Vittoria Saguaro and it was fingers only (and I am not Mr Steel Finger).

I almost buy my tyres by weight; must be more than 700g for puncture resistance; but not too much.

Not to derail the thread :whistling: , but where did you get the digital gauge for R200?  I am looking at buying one at the moment, and they are all in the vicinity of R400 to R450?

I got mine almost 2 years ago on Take-A-Lot....it was on special  :clap:

No clue about current pricing, but well worth the money spent!

Do the gauges not have a deflator button? Surely the thing to do is to over inflate slightly then lower the pressure to the precise amount with the gauge.

It does have a deflate button, and to over pump and then drop to the desired pressure is the way I do it and it has always worked for me. Beats having to connect the pump repeatedly!

I got mine almost 2 years ago on Take-A-Lot....it was on special  :clap:

No clue about current pricing, but well worth the money spent!

Awesome, thanks for the info! Will definitely be getting one very soon

So whats the correct P to pump to, on said pump, without having to measure? i.e new base line? :P

Once you know what the pressure drop is, it's pretty constant. I've got to do this all the time on suspension, because the amount of air that escapes into the valve chuck when it's connected is around 10psi, which will make quite a difference...

Once you know what the pressure drop is, it's pretty constant. I've got to do this all the time on suspension, because the amount of air that escapes into the valve chuck when it's connected is around 10psi, which will make quite a difference...

Yip figured that out on my first ride as well! Though the shock was leaking air! Now I also pump it a few psi more and disconnect quickly.

+1 for Saguro's, been riding them for over a year and never stopped on a trail to repair. And I'm 83 kg when I eat pies, 78 when I don't.

Archived