mega mica East gate

singleslick

Hi does anyone know about the cycling shop at East gate the one in mega mica called mega cycles are they and good is worth going there?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been in there to browse around but thats all.

Limited stock really and no one there to really assist you and gaving a bike shop in a hardware stire seems a little odd.

I went there once. Was looking for a standard 68mm threaded bb. Asked for it. They asked me what bike it was for, am I sure, they don't think they have one, they dunno, who knows etc... I left after 20 minutes of frustration.

I go there frequently, yes the sales service isnt great-which I agree needs to be improved. But they do have a great mechanic and they are reasonbly priced and actually do have a solid selection of stock.

It's crazy how many bike places there are within about 2km of each other in Eastgate/Bedford.

Cajees at Parkmeadows, Impey Cycles by Newscafe, Compleat Cyclist across the road and Mega Cycles at Megamica. Certainly are spoilt for choice around around there. 

Went to the mica for something and just walked through, Saw they are a thule dealer, Want more thule stuff for the new car so just asked out of interest. The salesman was helpful and although his knowledge wasn't what you would get from a cyclist at a LBS he did try and made the effort to get prices for what I want as they didn't have the exact aero bars I wanted in stock. The price wasn't too bad(only about R300 more than from thule woodmead). Also noticed they have quite a few tools for sale and ended up buying some.

• 4 years later...

Highly recommended - amazing service from Danger Dassie at Mega Cycles. Went out of his way to assist my friend with a bike. Friendly and obviously passionate about what he does. Thanks!

Edited by ridr

Highly recommended - amazing service from Danger Dassie at Mega Cycles. Went out of his way to assist my friend with a bike. Friendly and obviously passionate about what he does. Thanks!

Why does Danger Dassie sound so familiar? They're a user here, aren't they?

It's crazy how many bike places there are within about 2km of each other in Eastgate/Bedford.

Cajees at Parkmeadows, Impey Cycles by Newscafe, Compleat Cyclist across the road and Mega Cycles at Megamica. Certainly are spoilt for choice around around there. 

and out of those I'd support (and have supported) Tony Impey.

Why ? Because he is a non franchise store, he needs all the support he can get to survive against the bigger guys.

• 2 weeks later...

and out of those I'd support (and have supported) Tony Impey.

Why ? Because he is a non franchise store, he needs all the support he can get to survive against the bigger guys.

Well in the immediate area is Tony, Complete and Mega. Cajees moved to Edenvale a while back. All different offerings so there is something for everyone. 

Not aware of many franchise bike shops other than the Lab, Cajees and Specialized Concept/Elite stores. But even those are actually all owner run. Some of whom have been around as long as Tony, almost.

Known Tony for years, I remember as a laaitjie goinf with my parents to his store in the corner of the old Bedford Centre. Tony is one of the longest serving LBS dealers around and commands respect, he's seen cycling when winter REALLY was a struggle.

Fyi, Mega Cycles was actually Eastgate Cycles waayyy back. One of the original Cannondale dealers and attached to a Mica store. The current owners are a family who bought the business over.

Edited by danger dassie

Thanks so much, really happy to hear! Any new bike day is a good day. Even better when riding.

To clarify, I've partnered with one of the owners (MD) of the Mega Mica which contains Mega Cycles. I still have my outside commitments but as we progress our agreement is involvement on a consultancy basis. Albeit more hands on at times :) 

The cycling retail and workshop has been running for the last four years or so. Unfortunately along the way things have not always worked out with those responsible running it, for whichever reasons.

So the service/stock hasn't always been what it should be. Consequently turnover is affected which in the greater enviroment is problematic. There are 180 odd staff who need attention over and above just the cycling.

But the potential is clear and has significant value for the store as a whole as well as the customer base. Plus it's a market differential for them (us)

Theres been some commentary about being within the Mega Mica enviroment and assosciation with a hardware store. There there are some important considerations;

- The store serves everything related to homes from gardening, maintenance, diy, construction, upgrades, homeware and more.  For both private and contractors. So it is more than just a hardware store.

- Cycling is a natural fit for a number of reasons, and more importantly can open up cycling to more people. Wether we as riders and industry like to admit it or not, cycling has an association with snobbery and being outrageously expensive. It doesn't have to be, it can be far more accessible.

- A lot of the existing clientele are cyclists themselves and/or know cyclists at varying levels. Be it social, casual, competitive.

- Many of the brands are associated with cycling in various forms of sponsorship. dormakoba, Valley Electrical, Plascon Micatex, Bora etc ...

- It's not an uncommon association. Look at Westdene Cycles, Olympic and so forth. Mega Mica was actually Eastgate Cycles and Mica inside Eastgate over 20 years back.

We're currently resolving legacy issues with stock etc (who tf orders 27.5' tyres??) which has tied up a lot of capital. Also reconstituting the floor space, clearance stock, presentation of stock and doing a recon of past and current stock holding.

This means tightening up on stock/brand lines and suppliers.  

On the plus side there are accounts with just about every supplier, ALL accounts are in the black. There is an existing infrastructure to plug into. The store itself is family owned and run, in fact all Mica stores are owner run. 

Suppliers are amenable to deal with and an honourable mention must go to Cytec (Merida and Titan Racing) who are an absolute pleasure to deal with.

We have a really good mechanic in Mike with over 11 years of experience and has been handling both the workshop and floor.

There is a floor sales position vacant, so feel free to refer people or DM me for specifics. Please note, it is a floor sales position, NOT a manager. Seems like that one needs to be repeated!

Apols for the long winded post, wanted to clear any speculation and add clarity. Nip it in the bud so to speak.

As mentioned this isn't my primary thing, but it's also no vanity project. Shap shap mense.... 

Well in the immediate area is Tony, Complete and Mega. Cajees moved to Edenvale a while back. All different offerings so there is something for everyone. 

Not aware of many franchise bike shops other than the Lab, Cajees and Specialized Concept/Elite stores. But even those are actually all owner run. Some of whom have been around as long as Tony, almost.

Known Tony for years, I remember as a laaitjie goinf with my parents to his store in the corner of the old Bedford Centre. Tony is one of the longest serving LBS dealers around and commands respect, he's seen cycling when winter REALLY was a struggle.

Fyi, Mega Cycles was actually Eastgate Cycles waayyy back. One of the original Cannondale dealers and attached to a Mica store. The current owners are a family who bought the business over.

My old man used to cycle with Tony waaaayyyy back in the day, so I'm partially familiar with his pedigree.

As to the franchise vs other, I'm not clued up on how it works in the cycle industry, but with other franchises there is often buying power from the franchisor as well as subsidized advertising other other promotions, vs a one man show that has to do everything on their own.

You second post was informative about mega mica and I may just pop in for a visit out of curiosity. 

Thanks so much, really happy to hear! Any new bike day is a good day. Even better when riding.

To clarify, I've partnered with one of the owners (MD) of the Mega Mica which contains Mega Cycles. I still have my outside commitments but as we progress our agreement is involvement on a consultancy basis. Albeit more hands on at times :)

The cycling retail and workshop has been running for the last four years or so. Unfortunately along the way things have not always worked out with those responsible running it, for whichever reasons.

So the service/stock hasn't always been what it should be. Consequently turnover is affected which in the greater enviroment is problematic. There are 180 odd staff who need attention over and above just the cycling.

But the potential is clear and has significant value for the store as a whole as well as the customer base. Plus it's a market differential for them (us)

Theres been some commentary about being within the Mega Mica enviroment and assosciation with a hardware store. There there are some important considerations;

- The store serves everything related to homes from gardening, maintenance, diy, construction, upgrades, homeware and more. For both private and contractors. So it is more than just a hardware store.

- Cycling is a natural fit for a number of reasons, and more importantly can open up cycling to more people. Wether we as riders and industry like to admit it or not, cycling has an association with snobbery and being outrageously expensive. It doesn't have to be, it can be far more accessible.

- A lot of the existing clientele are cyclists themselves and/or know cyclists at varying levels. Be it social, casual, competitive.

- Many of the brands are associated with cycling in various forms of sponsorship. dormakoba, Valley Electrical, Plascon Micatex, Bora etc ...

- It's not an uncommon association. Look at Westdene Cycles, Olympic and so forth. Mega Mica was actually Eastgate Cycles and Mica inside Eastgate over 20 years back.

We're currently resolving legacy issues with stock etc (who tf orders 27.5' tyres??) which has tied up a lot of capital. Also reconstituting the floor space, clearance stock, presentation of stock and doing a recon of past and current stock holding.

This means tightening up on stock/brand lines and suppliers.

On the plus side there are accounts with just about every supplier, ALL accounts are in the black. There is an existing infrastructure to plug into. The store itself is family owned and run, in fact all Mica stores are owner run.

Suppliers are amenable to deal with and an honourable mention must go to Cytec (Merida and Titan Racing) who are an absolute pleasure to deal with.

We have a really good mechanic in Mike with over 11 years of experience and has been handling both the workshop and floor.

There is a floor sales position vacant, so feel free to refer people or DM me for specifics. Please note, it is a floor sales position, NOT a manager. Seems like that one needs to be repeated!

Apols for the long winded post, wanted to clear any speculation and add clarity. Nip it in the bud so to speak.

As mentioned this isn't my primary thing, but it's also no vanity project. Shap shap mense....

Good luck Dino, any lbs that can continue is a winner for everyone. Those guys helped me with a fork issue a few years ago and were a pleasure to deal with.

Waayyy back when it was still in eastgate on the lower level just around the corner from CNA was where my toppie bought me my first 26inch mtb. It was a cignal. We spent a lot of time/money at that shop. He bought a few bikes there. In those days it was eastgate cycles or Alan van Heerden that we frequented.