Cycling Cecilia cork tree trail

Toby Adams

TMNP is not going to be happy about this - their problem is that 10 to 1 they did not have a representative at court maybe thinking that people would pay the fine.

I dare anyone to go and ride Cecelia - just be aware that they could throw the book at you and also confiscate your bike on the spot. They are going to want to save face on this one. I've read the regulations regarding national parks and it makes for some scary reading.

If the dog walkers hear about this they are going to have a field day - there is a horde of them that have been fined and the fines have ranged from R1000 to R2500.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

TMNP is not going to be happy about this - their problem is that 10 to 1 they did not have a representative at court maybe thinking that people would pay the fine.

I dare anyone to go and ride Cecelia - just be aware that they could throw the book at you and also confiscate your bike on the spot. They are going to want to save face on this one. I've read the regulations regarding national parks and it makes for some scary reading.

If the dog walkers hear about this they are going to have a field day - there is a horde of them that have been fined and the fines have ranged from R1000 to R2500.

yeah, if they do decide to follow this through, they have some pretty strong regulations to back them up.

Unfortunately in this case, I think it's a factor of staffing and budget - more problems at the moment than being in court over something so small... 

Still, bad form. By all involved. 

I feel a Blur song coming on

Sharp, very sharp.

Personally I think Madness should be their house band.

i am keen to know where the other +- 50 cyclists are who were fined on the same day as i was fined

There must have been a hearing on a day before my court hearing day as TMNP did not even have a representative in court when i was there

I have never been to court before in my life and when the state prosecutor simply discarded the green piece of paper in my hand i wasn't going to hang around and discuss the matter

I was in the lift foyer waiting for the lift within 30 seconds of her dismissing the case

i am keen to know where the other +- 50 cyclists are who were fined on the same day as i was fined

There must have been a hearing on a day before my court hearing day as TMNP did not even have a representative in court when i was there

I have never been to court before in my life and when the state prosecutor simply discarded the green piece of paper in my hand i wasn't going to hang around and discuss the matter

I was in the lift foyer waiting for the lift within 30 seconds of her dismissing the case

Can't say I blame you in your situation I would have resembled a scene from 'The Flash', possibly setting a land speed record in the process.

If the wait for the lift was too long I would have been considering window options.

I was there a couple of years back getting a parking fine thrown out on the very reasonable grounds that the vehicle in question was described as a red Mercedes and was parked outside a ladies hairdressing shop in Woodstock. My car being a white Landy and me not frequenting either Woodstock or ladies hair salons really played in my favour. But damn that court is a depressing place.

Say that again?!?! How many?

Thats right Deon, +- 50 cyclists fined on the 1.5km long 'cork tree trail' on the day i was fined.

On that fatefull day i was in a line of about 5 cyclists all receiving the same fine at 09h00 and when i returned to the 'cork tree trail' at 11h30, after cycling to Rhodes Memorial, there was still a long line of cyclists receiving the same fine. Do the maths yourself, this was not a 'one off' event

Last Saturday we were cycling the legal Black Hill route when we came across 3 local cyclists that had just been attacked by some thugs, thankfully the cyclists were prepared and moered

the thugs who fled into the fynbos, where were the TMNP field rangers?

On Sunday i hiked the pipe track above Camps Bay and there were so many people on the track it would have been foolhardy for thieves to attack anyone, they would have been moered as well

I say get more people into the mountains, we should be safer in numbers

Thats right Deon, +- 50 cyclists fined on the 1.5km long 'cork tree trail' on the day i was fined.On that fatefull day i was in a line of about 5 cyclists all receiving the same fine at 09h00 and when i returned to the 'cork tree trail' at 11h30, after cycling to Rhodes Memorial, there was still a long line of cyclists receiving the same fine. Do the maths yourself, this was not a 'one off' eventLast Saturday we were cycling the legal Black Hill route when we came across 3 local cyclists that had just been attacked by some thugs, thankfully the cyclists were prepared and moeredthe thugs who fled into the fynbos, where were the TMNP field rangers?On Sunday i hiked the pipe track above Camps Bay and there were so many people on the track it would have been foolhardy for thieves to attack anyone, they would have been moered as wellI say get more people into the mountains, we should be safer in numbers

That is pretty much Rob Vogel's message. More people on it the safer it will be.

Thats right Deon, +- 50 cyclists fined on the 1.5km long 'cork tree trail' on the day i was fined.

On that fatefull day i was in a line of about 5 cyclists all receiving the same fine at 09h00 and when i returned to the 'cork tree trail' at 11h30, after cycling to Rhodes Memorial, there was still a long line of cyclists receiving the same fine. Do the maths yourself, this was not a 'one off' event

Last Saturday we were cycling the legal Black Hill route when we came across 3 local cyclists that had just been attacked by some thugs, thankfully the cyclists were prepared and moered

the thugs who fled into the fynbos, where were the TMNP field rangers?

On Sunday i hiked the pipe track above Camps Bay and there were so many people on the track it would have been foolhardy for thieves to attack anyone, they would have been moered as well

I say get more people into the mountains, we should be safer in numbers

Your three main points in the post are as follows:

1. “50 cyclists fined on the 1.5km long 'cork tree trail’”
  2. “Black Hill route [attempted mugging].. where were the TMNP field rangers?”
  3. “I hiked the pipe track above Camps Bay and there were so many people on the track..”

My comments on these points are as follows: 

1. 50 cyclists caught in an area where they should not be cycling. (Assuming you want to know actual facts about this, I'm open to discuss this in more detail should you wish.)
  2. The current Black Hill track is not on Table Mountain National Park land. This is a CoCT initiative and safety is a factor I did try highlighting at the start of the construction process.. I do get your reference however, you are insinuating that people being fined in Cecelia is more important than muggers being chased by Table Mountain National Park rangers. (linked to point 1 regarding access, also open to discuss in more detail.)
  3. More people on the mountain = less muggings. A concept shared by all reps not just those saying it - it is pure logic, an increased number on the mountains pushes criminal element out by reducing opportunity. Not to say it is the absolute solution but does contribute heavily towards safety - Added to numbers, cleaning up areas and developing a facility to physically accommodate more people welcomes the public in in a controlled, enjoyable and sustainable manner. It does however require a process to identify and meet the requirements, a process currently underway.

What I do want to state is that any attempt to bypass the process required by several conservation acts, and also from a user fairness point of view cannot offer any long lasting results. Tokai reps have tried for years and it was only when we embarked on following process that we started seeing results. It is the law and one the employes of this National Park are required to follow. Think of it as someone's job, not doing it is as much a problem as not getting what we want through trying to circumvent process.

1. Don't want to discuss it any more

2. It was the TMNP area around the dams, not the 'current Black Hill track'

3. Agreed

After 7743 views and 236 replies to this tread we've got no closer to a solution

It will be quicker and more enjoyable to go back to the Richterveld National Park and cycle there, again, for 5 full days without an Activity card or any official waiting for an EMP

SANParks officials at Richterveld National Park will welcome us with open arms   

I ran this trail today and there were plenty cyclists on the route... And not to mention the actual track looks pretty 'ridden in'.

............It will be quicker and more enjoyable to go back to the Richterveld National Park and cycle there, again, for 5 full days without an Activity card or any official waiting for an EMP

SANParks officials at Richterveld National Park will welcome us with open arms

If you go there, you will have to pay a daily conservation fee (read entry fee)or you will need a Wild Card. Either way, you will pay. Also, you will be restricted to public roads, the same place the 4x4s go, nowhere else! If you do stray off the roads, you will be in the wrong. Richtersveld is not the same thing as Table Mountain National Park. An EMP is not necessary to allow a vehicle (bicycle in this case) on an existing public road in the Richtersveld National Park. It would in fact be EXACTLY the same thing as if you rode your bike on the tar road from the park entrance above Smitswinkels to Cape Point. Cecilia Forest has NO public roads. Period. To ride or drive there you need permission. That will hopefully be forthcoming if the few don't screw it up for the many.