Pyga or Spez :-)

werner1619

See the photo below? That's what's currently in my garage. PYGA 110, Specialized Stumpjumper, Specialized Enduro.

attachicon.gifIMG_5130.JPG

Those bikes look like they have just been rolled off of the showroom floor! Gorgeous!

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Martin

Was that you on the mountain yesterday afternoon?

Tom

See the photo below? That's what's currently in my garage. PYGA 110, Specialized Stumpjumper, Specialized Enduro.

Over the years, I've also had in my garage bikes from Nishiki, Bluegrass, Diamondback, GT, Cannondale, Kona, Wheeler, Giant, Scott and Intense.

Is PYGA better than Specialized, or the other way round? No. They're different. When you come here and proclaim that the brand you're riding is better than the next guy's, all you're doing is showing your inexperience. You're invalidating your statements by doing that. Do yourself a favour and go ride a few more bikes and then come back with some real-life experiences.

Back to the topic at hand: You can't directly compare a Stumpy to a 110, they're different bikes. The Stumpy has 130mm of travel and a slacker HA, it's a full-on big-hitting trail machine. The 110 is not, but it's more nimble as a result, even though it's pretty damn good at taking big hits due to how progressive the shock rate is. Hammering over gnarly stuff at high speed? The stumpy will win. Floating through the gnarly stuff with some clever line choices and then sprinting to the finish afterwards? You'll have a fighting chance with the 110.

Also, an interesting something I discovered this weekend. The PYGA's rear-end is significantly stiffer than anything outside of a downhill bike, at least as far as the bikes I've ridden go. Believe it or not, it's stiffer than the top-of-the-line Enduro S-Works also in the photo. This gives it superb carving ability when picking the clever lines mentioned in the previous paragraph. Does this make it a better bike? Again, no. It makes it different.

Would recommend you pop in at a Spez concept store (such as Westrand Cycles) as most of them have a few demo's they let you ride for a couple of days. Great service and way to see what you think of Spez.

I second this... being able to ride a demo properly, not just around the block, on a trail you're used and know, is the best way to do it... if possible.

That's how I made up my mind when buying my Camber  last year.

Eben won't have the 2016's in yet obviously, but I honestly think they'll be worth the wait.

Try to ride a Pyga in the meantime.

Was that you on the mountain yesterday afternoon?

I was on the mountain at Rhodes Mem on Saturday (with the Enduro), but not yesterday.

Over the years, I've also had in my garage bikes from Nishiki, Bluegrass, Diamondback, GT, Cannondale, Kona, Wheeler, Giant, Scott and Intense.

Is PYGA better than Specialized, or the other way round? No. They're different. When you come here and proclaim that the brand you're riding is better than the next guy's, all you're doing is showing your inexperience. You're invalidating your statements by doing that. Do yourself a favour and go ride a few more bikes and then come back with some real-life experiences.

Back to the topic at hand: You can't directly compare a Stumpy to a 110, they're different bikes. The Stumpy has 130mm of travel and a slacker HA, it's a full-on big-hitting trail machine. The 110 is not, but it's more nimble as a result, even though it's pretty damn good at taking big hits due to how progressive the shock rate is. Hammering over gnarly stuff at high speed? The stumpy will win. Floating through the gnarly stuff with some clever line choices and then sprinting to the finish afterwards? You'll have a fighting chance with the 110.

Also, an interesting something I discovered this weekend. The PYGA's rear-end is significantly stiffer than anything outside of a downhill bike, at least as far as the bikes I've ridden go. Believe it or not, it's stiffer than the top-of-the-line Enduro S-Works also in the photo. This gives it superb carving ability when picking the clever lines mentioned in the previous paragraph. Does this make it a better bike? Again, no. It makes it different.

Why are those bikes so clean? Do you ever ride them?

Why are those bikes so clean? Do you ever ride them?

I most definitely do, but I'm also pedantic about keeping stuff in perfect condition so they get washed and maintained meticulously.

Anyway, back to the reason for my post (looks like it turned into an unintended hi-jack), I wanted to point out that it is in fact possible for PYGA and Spez bikes to live and be enjoyed under the same roof. Who knew!

Edited by Martin Hattingh

See the photo below? That's what's currently in my garage. PYGA 110, Specialized Stumpjumper, Specialized Enduro.

Over the years, I've also had in my garage bikes from Nishiki, Bluegrass, Diamondback, GT, Cannondale, Kona, Wheeler, Giant, Scott and Intense.

Couldn't agree more with you Martin. Each bike handles differently and depending on spec even bikes of the same kind could wind up being ever so slightly different in handling characteristics. The real trick is to know what you want out of a bike and get one that fits that performance profile, but to know that means riding as many different bikes as you can.

Hey Hubbers,

I am thinking of getting either a Pyga OneTen 29 or Specialized FSR Stumpjumper.

I do some longish rides, 40 - 60km, but mostly local trails on weekends.

Also do the odd event race for fun.

Has anyone ridden both ? or have some opinion on the better option for the best all-round bike ?

Replies appreciated,

W.

Do as others have said in this thread, ride them and decide based on which bike made you feel warm and fuzzy.

For tests try:

Spaz - A spaz Concept store.

Pyga - Give Jason or Sean at the trailhead a shout.

Alternatively follow Hakahana trails on facebook and look out for the Pyga trail days.

I most definitely do, but I'm also pedantic about keeping stuff in perfect condition so they get washed and maintained meticulously.

I'm the same! seeing my bikes clean, gives me almost as much joy as riding them.....almost ^_^ 

Do as others have said in this thread, ride them and decide based on which bike made you feel warm and fuzzy.

For tests try:

Spaz - A spaz Concept store.

Pyga - Give Jason or Sean at the trailhead a shout.

Alternatively follow Hakahana trails on facebook and look out for the Pyga trail days.

Thanks Les :thumbup:

We have a large 110 available for test rides and the Spruit is right on our doorstep.

As a 'post-service bike tester' I get to ride a lot of bikes. All I can say that in this modern mtb era, in this budget range, there are no crap bikes. Test them all and Ride the bike you like. It's an emotional purchase. The visual aspect: lines of the frame, colour plays a big part.

I've also ridden the Pyga Stage & Stage Max. The Max to me hits that real sweet spot of a 'do it all' bike.

Edited by Robodog

I see when ever there is a thread about a long travel 9r is seems mostly the Pyga and spez is the weapon of choice . The trigger seldom seems to get a mention. Yet to me it is such a versatile bike. The 130/80mm dyad is nothing short of brilliant and only imho of course ( if that's what you are looking for )the small bump compliance is awesome.

I have the trigger 2 so unfortunately it doesn't have the lefty on it ,and to be honest the fox lets the bike down. ( did have a lefty version of this bike but sold it biggest mistake I ever made hence why I bought another one) But is soon to be remedied by a 150 mm mrp .

If this bike has a downside to be its that the 130mm travel is still quite stiff and not as plush as a normal 130 mm shock. But when the steep loose rock climbs come, flick the switch to 80 and it doesn't feel like a long travel trail eating 9r anymore.

I love this bike and am a little concerned that when I have finished with the fork and also the new wheel upgrade I won't want to ride my 6r and more.

Have also ridden a 110 and thought it was an excellent all round bike,but didn't quite grab me. Would be keen to try a spez,never ridden one .

As for long rides,I find the geomtry works for me so well.

Just met 2c worth as another option.

post-51529-0-36760000-1435041397_thumb.jpg

Edited by Aka pikey

Mate of mine had the trigger just like the one Aka pikey has as another option this bike is very capable.

I would say this is a good option against the 110 29.

I am most probably the "most recent buyer" of a Pyga 11029. Why? I am still building the bike! I am thus going to give my 2 cents as to why I decided on the Pyga.

Being EXPENSIVE, I did my research thoroughly! You just don't spend money on anything if not well informed.

I have always drooled over a Specialized! Some other brands also "triggered" me, but not as much as a Specialized.

I can go into all the detail, but the bottom line. I don't believe in and do not support a "monopoly". You cannot buy a Specialized outside of a Specialized Concept Store in SA. Normal LBS cannot stock any Specialized items. Specialized Stores cannot stock any other brand.

Go online to places where you can buy ANY brand. UK, Specialized items - can only be sold in the UK! US, Specialized items - can only be sold in the US! Germany, Specialized items - can only be sold in Germany! What a load of bull.

Even if it is THE BEST bike, I will not buy it. I now look at Specialized riders almost in the same way as to a smoker. "You have been caught by the hype". After my investigations, I am now almost anti Specialized. Believe me, I am not bad mouthing their bikes. 

Second bottom line. Top range bikes are all awesome! You simply just don't get crap at the top of the spec. You thus need to consider a lot of factors.

I have ridden a Camber, a Stumpy and an Epic and it felt good. When I got on the Pyga 110, I smiled.

What do you mean wrt the comment on service, that they box you in? Do they require you to have it serviced by them only?

Yes if you get the rig serviced by a non spez dealer you lose warranty. Know this was a BIG issue in last Joburg2C