Pyga or Spez :-)

werner1619

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On a new Note, I have noticed that the Classified section is like a Spez graveyard ... many for sale ... Anyone have some insight into this ?

A lot of PYGAs been up for sale recently too...

Is a dropper worth it ?

Personal choice. Had one. Never used it. Sold it. Thought I'd try it again. Loaned a demo from the LBS, gave it back. Never purchased another. I'm not saying they're not good. It just doesn't add to my cycling experience. Quite possible that I'm not riding the steep descents some folks do or don't have the skills or balls to ride certain things. But the point is it isn't for some, it is for others. This blanket, 'yes it will change your life' answer doesn't sit well with me. Try and get your hands on one to try and make up your own mind.

Can't live without my dropper. Chances of smashing your twins on the back of your seat when going down the steep stuff are completely eliminated.

Tom

If you like taking it fast down steep bumpy stuff you'll love having a dropper post, it's a no brainer. The other 2 options is manually dropping the post before each brutal section or just riding the post at full height and getting slammed in the nether regions/going over the bars. If you are a man that appreciates the value of a bunny hop you will likewise appreciate a dropper post.

In my opinion, if your riding style doesn't make a dropper useful, you don't really need to ride a PYGA.

Jeez. Don't know what is was thinking keeping mine (PYGA that is) for so long then... ;)

Probably wise I sold it.

Haha, I knew there was no way to say that without it sounding like a jab in your direction Ryan. No offense meant, I promise!

In all seriousness however, up until now (meaning pre the release of the Stage models) every single PYGA in the range was intended to be ridden just a little bit more rowdy and over a little more involving stuff than the average marathon bike on the trails. If the type of trails you're riding don't at some point (even if it isn't all the time) make the dropper a sensible thing which improves either speed or fun, then the benefits of PYGA geometry quite frankly aren't really necessary. A 110 is no better on a non-technical piece of jeeptrack or dirt road than 90% of the steeper angled less laterally stiff competition, making the investment in what is undoubtedly a more expensive and purposeful bike a bit of an iffy affair. It's only when the going gets steeper and scattered with obstacles and features that I'd without doubt prefer a 110 over something like a Scott Spark or an Epic, or a hardtail, or (insert here), the rest of the time I wouldn't really mind what bike I'm on. It's exactly these scenarios in which a dropper unequivocally provides advantages and where the reasoning for my statement comes from.

Haha, I knew there was no way to say that without it sounding like a jab in your direction Ryan. No offense meant, I promise!

In all seriousness however, up until now (meaning pre the release of the Stage models) every single PYGA in the range was intended to be ridden just a little bit more rowdy and over a little more involving stuff than the average marathon bike on the trails. If the type of trails you're riding don't at some point (even if it isn't all the time) make the dropper a sensible thing which improves either speed or fun, then the benefits of PYGA geometry quite frankly aren't really necessary. A 110 is no better on a non-technical piece of jeeptrack or dirt road than 90% of the steeper angled less laterally stiff competition, making the investment in what is undoubtedly a more expensive and purposeful bike a bit of an iffy affair. It's only when the going gets steeper and scattered with obstacles and features that I'd without doubt prefer a 110 over something like a Scott Spark or an Epic, or a hardtail, or (insert here), the rest of the time I wouldn't really mind what bike I'm on. It's exactly these scenarios in which a dropper unequivocally provides advantages and where the reasoning for my statement comes from.

No stress. I was just having a laugh. It's your opinion, as is mine.

Having owned a PYGA and ridden quite a few of the models I've got to ride with (and still do) quite a few other PYGA owners. We ride everything from Cascades to Karkloof, from one day classics to Enduros to stage races. Some guys have droppers and use them for trail rides and ditch them for stage races. Some guys have them on permanently. Some not at all. Each of them love riding their PYGAs. I do see your point though of PYGA probably being the one brand where a dropper applies well to the whole stable. What do I know though - I bought myself a steel HT and sold the PYGA. Maybe one day I'll come around - to a dropper that is...

I wasn't really making a case for or against a dropper, more telling the OP to try one himself.

Cool, will give a dropper a try ...

Liking the Pyga thus far :-) 

Planning a good trail ride this weekend. Will give some feedback.

I saw the new stumpy in the U.S. Last month. It is a complete redesign,an awesome bike. I own a 2013 Stump fsr and love it, and if you not too worried about having the 2016 you could pick up a 2015 at a good discount.

Top of the range Spez = R149k (Epic XX1 RS1)

This top of the range Pyga @ R95k (Stage XX1 RS1) will make any Spez fan drool.  :rolleyes:

post-10303-0-04383100-1435778860_thumb.jpg

Me think you must be  :stupid: not to select the PYGA. Or you must be part of the "Elite".

KTM or BMW GS? I've just upgraded my motorcycle. Same problem there. On paper and in action the KTM blows the GS away, yet everyone rushes off to BMW to buy a GS. I bought the KTM but I do ride a Spez. Oops. :-)

Archived