Oval chainrings

Christo

You just pedal. Let your legs do the work. "Spinning in circles" is largely a myth in MTB

Thanks, sounds good!

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am just happy to have found someone who sells Q rings in SA. I ride Q rings on my Tri Bike and will never go back. Bike shops battle a bit with the install and I sometimes drop my chain. After a couple of tweaks it stops.      

My experience - all on AB chainrings

1. Delivery has been pretty quick - 2 to 3 days at most

2. I'm using 2x10 oval rings on one bike and 1x10 oval on the other. The 2x10's have a chain pickup and a regular tooth profile. The 1x10 is a wide/narrow profile and no pickups - make sure you order the right model.

3. The feel is much better - easier climbing, stronger acceleration. Setting a lot of pbs at the moment.

I use AB and Rapide ovals. I can feel that the AB is slightly more oval, and I prefer this, but it does not justify the almost double price tag. I will replace the AB with a Rapide oval when its worn out.

Has anyone tried the csixx oval?

Why does it say "TT"

I'm currently on a 1 X 10 setup with 32T front and 11-40T rear.

What size oval would I go to?

34T Oval. Depending on how oval it is will give you an equivalent of +/- 32T up a climb and +/- a 36T on flat sections.

huh...

it also has a fixed number of teeth which determines your cadence.  34t oval = 34t round

huh...

it also has a fixed number of teeth which determines your cadence.  34t oval = 34t round

Yes and no, its not only about the number of teeth, at the top of the arc you're pulling the chain in a straighter line and marginally further than a round 34.

Whether you can actually tell the difference, or if its any better, who knows

Well I fell for the coolaid and rode with the AB 32 this morning for the first time. My pedal stroke is pretty good as I have spent a lot of time working on it. I actually felt that the oval ring was interfering with it. I will give it some time and see how it goes. No miracles or huge performance gains to be seen. Only rode for 90 mins with 550m of climbing so I wont judge it just yet.

Well I fell for the coolaid and rode with the AB 32 this morning for the first time. My pedal stroke is pretty good as I have spent a lot of time working on it. I actually felt that the oval ring was interfering with it. I will give it some time and see how it goes. No miracles or huge performance gains to be seen. Only rode for 90 mins with 550m of climbing so I wont judge it just yet.

Which one did you get?

Most of them can be adjusted. Find the position that suits you