Oval chainrings

Christo

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Going from a 30 to 34 is a big jump, even if it is oval.

Wouldn't your transition have been easier if you switched to a 32T?

Undoubtedly. But I didn't and it's not a bad choice as of yet...

This debate is similar to the 1x debate. People get quite emotional. My stance is ride whatever you want to and let others do the same.

If oval works for you then cool if not then maybe it's just you or your lbs didn't fit it properly.

I still love my front derailleur, doesn't make me a bad person! I have one oval and one round ring on my setup... Works for me!

Glad to hear so many positive things about kalbo, support a fellow saffer if you can!

Edited by Monark

This debate is similar to the 1x debate. People get quite emotional. My stance is ride whatever you want to and let others do the same.

If oval works for you then cool if not then maybe it's just you or your lbs didn't fit it properly.

I still love my front derailleur, doesn't make me a bad person! I have one oval and one round ring on my setup... Works for me!

Glad to hear so many positive things about kalbo, support a fellow saffer if you can!

You have a front derailleur!!!! :eek:  :eek: :eek:  

I still have 3x on my bike but i want to "test" a oval ring so i want to get a 32T oval, will i be able to put it in the middle without changing anything else on my setup?

Okay so I fitted the Rapide 32 oval yesterday and took it for a ride last night , and can definately say that it helps especially on the climbs . I have come from a Kalbo 32t round . Only way I can describe it , is that you spend more "time" in the powerstroke of the chainwheels revolution , the "deadspot" passes quicker and then youre in the powerzone again . Hope you make sense of this .

Only thing I'm badgering are the claims that these rings give you 36t gearing for flats and 32t gearing for climbs. That's just bogus claims.

I don't dispute that they smooth your perceived pedal stroke. But they have no scientifically verified benefit to making anyone go faster. Maybe go longer but that at this stage is only a perceived benefit.

So we get that some people like oval rings but stop selling them off as a miracle cure to poor technique or fitness

I had shifting problems on a ride and climb a hill in 36 and 11 back at 43kmph. D

I still have 3x on my bike but i want to "test" a oval ring so i want to get a 32T oval, will i be able to put it in the middle without changing anything else on my setup?

This what I also would like to do.  Might not be possible due the "ramps" required?

Keep us informed if you get it right?

Or maybe it just doesn't do anything other than make you feel like you're different/special

That's worth a few watts. Just like having your children cheer you on suikerbossie when your legs are blown and that oval ring ain't helping shyte.

Only if you get one of the rotor rings or similar with shifting ramps

And then you need to ensure that you adjust the fd so that it'll clear the slightly raised max height of the ring.

Edited by Myles Mayhew

And then you need to ensure that you adjust the fd so that it'll clear the slightly raised max height of the ring.

pfft so alot more expensive than kalbo or rapide rings...

Not sure how much this differs from the 2x10 setup with regards to clearance on the FD. But I just fitted my Rotar Q without having to make any adjustments.

Not sure how much this differs from the 2x10 setup with regards to clearance on the FD. But I just fitted my Rotar Q without having to make any adjustments.

Sweet

Or maybe it just doesn't do anything other than make you feel like you're different/special

That's worth a few watts. Just like having your children cheer you on suikerbossie when your legs are blown and that oval ring ain't helping shyte.

post-35569-0-40072900-1463124215_thumb.jpg

Wow, really constructive posts.

I think we all know you don't agree with the oval rings. Maybe you should move along instead reiterating the same old story.........

Okay so all this oval talk has made me order one :thumbup:

Some day soon I'll give some "snake oil" or "I'm like totally a  Quinata on the climbs now" feedback.

I am quite interested so see if the "more traction" claims are true - climbing really steep rocky stuff has traditionally been a weakness of mine.