Oval chainrings

Christo

yes they're blogs were people discuss their experiences. AS I said the "Science" is a little thin on the ground, only marketing babble is available. I continue my search for credible papers

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yes they're blogs were people discuss their experiences. AS I said the "Science" is a little thin on the ground, only marketing babble is available. I continue my search for credible papers

Nope it is not that thin...

Here is a list of the studies by Christine O' Hara - (who incidentally set out to DISPROVE ROTOR claims).

And NO - it was NON sponsored studies by Rotor...

http://www.rotorbikeusa.com/science.html

excerpt from the last link indicates it comes down to belief.....sort of like a religion

In conclusion, we demonstrated that the use of elliptical chainrings does not increase
sustainable power during a 10 km cycling time trial in a group of trained male
cyclists. Further, no noticeable differences were observed in cycling economy or
heart rate at two submaximal workloads. Nevertheless, considerable variability in
the percent change of sustainable power for the elliptical and circular chainring
settings was observed between participants. These findings indicate that the use
of elliptical chainrings do not enhance cycling performance; however, this should
be determined on a cyclist to cyclist basis.
Practical Application
The margin for victory in professional and amateur cycling can often be measured
in seconds. For this reason, specialized equipment that has the potential to improve
performance should be a welcomed addition to both athletes and coaches. Although
the use of elliptical chainrings did not enhance 10 km cycling performance in our
group of trained cyclists, the between subject variability in performance should
be considered by those interested in using this device. Therefore, we suggest that
cyclists should individually assess the efficacy of using elliptical chainrings to
enhance their cycling performance.

I changed to Kalbo oval on my mtb, dunno if there is a big difference yet, but I like the simplicity and look.

As a suffer of chronic cramping I switched to an Absolute Black oval ting. It has helped tremendously!!!

That's not placebo or in my mind. It's fact.

We get it, you don't like oval rings, but what works for some might not work for others.

Wiggins has won the TdF on oval, although he did go back to round afterwards, I believe. Froome won it on oval rings last year.

Sauser has been riding non-circular rings since 2009 and he is arguably one of the most accomplished mountain bikers of all time. Ariane Kleinhans won this year's Epic on Rotor rings.

Why aren't all pro's using them? Might be down to sponsorship constraints or even just personal preference.

But oval rings definitely work for me and I can not only feel the difference in my legs, I can see it on my Strava PR's.

Plenty of science to back it up

http://www.noncircularchainring.be/

The ring Ariane ran was a 32t round Rotor ring.

Received my 30t absoluteBLACK Oval today, fitted it tonight and will do my "maiden voyage" Friday morning.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Chainsuck... ??? :eek:

DSC_2043.JPG

I see this is what the guys abroad call it. So this is the second time this has happened to me on the Q-rings.

First time it happened just after 2 weeks of the installation so it could have just needed a fine tune, now 2 months later it happened again.

This time it happened while shifting from the small to big ring, and the chain basically gets jammed between the inner of the small ring and the bb, and there is no way to get it out other than removing the crank.

This happened at 5am this morning, thankfully not too far from home so I could just roll back.

So has anyone else experienced something similar and how did you resolve the issue ?

I am thinking of having a plate made to cover the gap between the small ring and bb so there is no place for the chain to get jammed.

I enjoy the Q-rings so don't want to go back to round.

Check on tokencyclingsa website. I think a chaincathers goes for R250 including shipping or cheaper.

My chain dropped 4 times at 94.7 last year(still managed a 2:46 VA) everytime on a climb and I loose the bunch and 3 times at SBR(2.12 full loop). Since installing it I never dropped a chain.

I have moved away from qring now. Was testing bikes last month and found I was faster. So it worked for me to ge my pedalling smoothed out but I will always wonder.

Edited by Zatek

excerpt from the last link indicates it comes down to belief.....sort of like a religion

In conclusion, we demonstrated that the use of elliptical chainrings does not increase
sustainable power during a 10 km cycling time trial in a group of trained male
cyclists. Further, no noticeable differences were observed in cycling economy or
heart rate at two submaximal workloads. Nevertheless, considerable variability in
the percent change of sustainable power for the elliptical and circular chainring
settings was observed between participants. These findings indicate that the use
of elliptical chainrings do not enhance cycling performance; however, this should
be determined on a cyclist to cyclist basis.
Practical Application
The margin for victory in professional and amateur cycling can often be measured
in seconds. For this reason, specialized equipment that has the potential to improve
performance should be a welcomed addition to both athletes and coaches. Although
the use of elliptical chainrings did not enhance 10 km cycling performance in our
group of trained cyclists, the between subject variability in performance should
be considered by those interested in using this device. Therefore, we suggest that
cyclists should individually assess the efficacy of using elliptical chainrings to
enhance their cycling performance.

Perhaps allow them to do that without constant badgering  :whistling:

Perhaps allow them to do that without constant badgering  :whistling:

Cleary he cannot understand that, or this which is also in the post.

Raptor, we get it that the product didn't work for you, suck it up and move on.

++

These findings indicate that the use of elliptical chainrings do not enhance cycling performance; however, this should be determined on a cyclist to cyclist basis.

++

Only thing I'm badgering are the claims that these rings give you 36t gearing for flats and 32t gearing for climbs. That's just bogus claims.
I don't dispute that they smooth your perceived pedal stroke. But they have no scientifically verified benefit to making anyone go faster. Maybe go longer but that at this stage is only a perceived benefit.
So we get that some people like oval rings but stop selling them off as a miracle cure to poor technique or fitness

Edited by raptor-22

I went over to oval about 5 months ago, and the real benefit for me is smoother power delivery meaning more speed more consistently. I wont say my top end speed has increased only due to the oval ring as I have been putting in a lot of hours.

The smoother delivery of power has definitely helped me ride technical sections better as I have much more traction than before.

I can also state that my 34t does not feel like a 32 on climbs as I still *** off when it gets really steep!!! The oval helps to put down the power more efficiently but I still have to turn the 34 over....

Only thing I'm badgering are the claims that these rings give you 36t hearing for flats and 32t fearing for climbs. That's just bogus claims.

Agreed with you there. There's a consistent tooth count and circumference between the 2 - 32t round circ. = 32 oval circ. otherwise there'd be some serious chain compatibility problems.

Where I think they're coming from is from an RPE perspective - it SEEMS as if it's easier than it should be, as the shape smooths out a bad / mashing / whatever pedalling action and therefore results in a lower perceived effort. 

I went over to oval about 5 months ago, and the real benefit for me is smoother power delivery meaning more speed more consistently. I wont say my top end speed has increased only due to the oval ring as I have been putting in a lot of hours.

The smoother delivery of power has definitely helped me ride technical sections better as I have much more traction than before.

I can also state that my 34t does not feel like a 32 on climbs as I still *** off when it gets really steep!!! The oval helps to put down the power more efficiently but I still have to turn the 34 over....

I can buy into this as the choppiness of your pedal stroke is reduced through changing the pedals circumferential velocity through the pedal stroke.

Whether an individual likes this or not will depend on how you like to pedal. I tend to spin even through technical sections. I prefer the quicker acceleration of a round ring. Others will enjoy the more consistent pressure feeling of an oval.

First impressions going from a 30t normal to a 34t kalbo elliptical.

It's *** hard on my local loop. But that was to be expected by going up by 13% on the front. Legs felt it for sure.

However - And this is a rather large however - there was a tangible smoothing of the power delivery. My mash became a puree, and the crossover between legs was noticeably less pronounced, to the point of being indistinguishable apart from the legs going up and down.

Traction is vastly improved on technical and loose climbs. And even though it was physically more taxing pushing a bigger gear, I managed, with far more ease, to clear one of the climbs that normally results in me huffing and puffing like an asthmatic paedo in a kindergarten.

So. Is it worth the money to upgrade, even though my existing 30t showed hardly any wear?

Upon initial (and rather short) test, I have to say yes. No doubt about it. I'll know more after this weekend's Enduro at Simonsberg (which has loads of climbing I'm told) but for now, the benefits are clear.

Going from a 30 to 34 is a big jump, even if it is oval.

Wouldn't your transition have been easier if you switched to a 32T?