Oval chainrings

Christo

How popular are oval rings? I see one in 20 or 30bikes at events with an oval ring.

How many pros are really using these rings? I don't have quantitative data on that but it also appears to a very small number. If it's as good as is claimed what aren't more pros (road and mtb) using oval rings ?

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny story - I built up a cracked Litespeed Orion as my IDT bitch.

All I had lying around was some oooold 7 speed shimano stuff so I banged it on.

I used the bike/trainer combo for 8 months then one day when I was giving it some TLC I noticed the ring was a Biopace. I didn't even notice - after 8 months. Doh!

I'm dead keen to give the modern biopace* a go.

*yes I know. Oval go to great lengths to say that their rings are way better than biopace.

<sarcastic_font> 8 Months and you didn't kill your knees?  :ph34r: </sarcastic_font>

Was keen to try the rotor rings, but am having 2nd thoughts now about the durability of them and also about the gear change......

to clear one of the climbs that normally results in me huffing and puffing like an asthmatic paedo in a kindergarten.

That's gotta be the metaphor of the month !

No, it's not. I was attributing woo to the concept of elliptical chainrings. IE if it WAS just "woo" (like homeopathy) I think ellipticallicity would fit quite well as a descriptor of the cult.

It should be a word, though.

Ovality

Ellipticalcity

The word you're looking for is eccentricity I believe

And yes I agree elliptical rings are like a cult. No science just cold hard blind belief

Glad they work for you. I also find that a significant lowering of my cadence due to taller gearing makes climbing smoother. When the placebo wears off my knees hurt

Please don't take this personally. I consider oval rings to be like snake oil

Edited by raptor-22

34T Oval. Depending on how oval it is will give you an equivalent of +/- 32T up a climb and +/- a 36T on flat sections.

Snap

How popular are oval rings? I see one in 20 or 30bikes at events with an oval ring.

How many pros are really using these rings? I don't have quantitative data on that but it also appears to a very small number. If it's as good as is claimed what aren't more pros (road and mtb) using oval rings ?

Roadies I can think of: Julich, Porte, Froome, Wiggins, Millar. Apparently they were used extensively by Caja Rural in 2014/15. The guys who do use them swear by them. Not sure why they arent more popular though.

Edited by pe3nguin

Ovality

Ellipticalcity

And yes I agree elliptical rings are like a cult. No science just cold hard blind belief

Glad they work for you. I also find that a significant lowering of my cadence due to taller gearing makes climbing smoother. When the placebo wears off my knees hurt

We get it, you don't like oval rings, but what works for some might not work for others.

Wiggins has won the TdF on oval, although he did go back to round afterwards, I believe. Froome won it on oval rings last year.

Sauser has been riding non-circular rings since 2009  and he is arguably one of the most accomplished mountain bikers of all time. Ariane Kleinhans won this year's Epic on Rotor rings.

Why aren't all pro's using them? Might be down to sponsorship constraints or even just personal preference.

But oval rings definitely work for me and I can not only feel the difference in my legs, I can see it on my Strava PR's.

Plenty of science to back it up

http://www.noncircularchainring.be/

Edited by Ricky G

Ovality

Ellipticalcity

Hi Raptor

Incidentally there are quite a few scientific studies regarding Oval Chainrings...

Suggest you read some of them.

They might not "work" for everyone but there efficiency cannot be disregarded.

Here is one link: http://www.rotorbike.com/tryQ/pdf/WhitePaper_non-circular.chainrings.pdf

More especially when I switched from oval back to round I was faster on round.

As mentioned already, we are not all the same so something may not work for you but work for me.

We not here to argue about what's best, but rather to find solutions to any problems that may arise.

I got my bike back, replaced all cables and had everything set up again, will give it another go tomorrow.

Hi Raptor

Incidentally there are quite a few scientific studies regarding Oval Chainrings...

Suggest you read some of them.

They might not "work" for everyone but there efficiency cannot be disregarded.

Here is one link: http://www.rotorbike.com/tryQ/pdf/WhitePaper_non-circular.chainrings.pdf

"Science" sponsored by the manufacturer is marketing in my book.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/product-news/osymetric-chainrings-do-they-work-28044

http://nsmb.com/long-term-review-absolute-black-oval-chainring/