Oval chainrings

Christo

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My second year on q rings, never ever seen that problem, used to drop the chain on the drive side until a proper technician set my gears... no problems since ( Ultegra di2 on a scott foil)

do the ovals come with a selection of homeopathic remedies and a free powerband bracelet...

nope. But it did come with a dose of WTF, I wasn't expecting this. It's a tangible difference, Elric. Also purposefully went for the 34t to determine the level of woo factor present in ellipticallicity. Consensus so far? FAR smoother. 

I also want to confirm whether or not I get less bobbing on the climbs. I know that with the 30t I had a positive effect on the suspension when climbing, but my mashing overcame that to a large extent. The smoother action MAY have an effect on overall bob, which may go a way to explain why there's more traction on the climbs. 

But it was a positive experience, that's for sure. 

Edited by Myles Mayhew

nope. But it did come with a dose of WTF, I wasn't expecting this. It's a tangible difference, Elric. Also purposefully went for the 34t to determine the level of woo factor present in ellipticallicity. Consensus so far? FAR smoother. 

I also want to confirm whether or not I get less bobbing on the climbs. I know that with the 30t I had a positive effect on the suspension when climbing, but my mashing overcame that to a large extent. The smoother action MAY have an effect on overall bob, which may go a way to explain why there's more traction on the climbs. 

just taking the piss bru. Was actually thinking of getting one myself. Can you use them if you're running 2x10?

just taking the piss bru. Was actually thinking of getting one myself. Can you use them if you're running 2x10?

AFAIK Rotor are the only ones doing a 2x elliptical ring option. As far as I know none of the others have any shifting ramps or pins, so can't be used in a dual / triple setup. 

Funny story - I built up a cracked Litespeed Orion as my IDT bitch.

All I had lying around was some oooold 7 speed shimano stuff so I banged it on.

I used the bike/trainer combo for 8 months then one day when I was giving it some TLC I noticed the ring was a Biopace. I didn't even notice - after 8 months. Doh!

I'm dead keen to give the modern biopace* a go.

*yes I know. Oval go to great lengths to say that their rings are way better than biopace.

Funny story - I built up a cracked Litespeed Orion as my IDT bitch.

All I had lying around was some oooold 7 speed shimano stuff so I banged it on.

I used the bike/trainer combo for 8 months then one day when I was giving it some TLC I noticed the ring was a Biopace. I didn't even notice - after 8 months. Doh!

I'm dead keen to give the modern biopace* a go.

*yes I know. Oval go to great lengths to say that their rings are way better than biopace.

that's cos the ovality is in a totally different place on the ring... 

really..??? is that a word :eek:

Edited by raptor-22

My second year on q rings, never ever seen that problem, used to drop the chain on the drive side until a proper technician set my gears... no problems since ( Ultegra di2 on a scott foil)

I could also have something to do with frame design around the bb area and the space that's left between the small ring and the bb. So if there is no space for the chain to jam, then it won't happen. So just need to do some modifications when I get the bike back.

Just doing more reading online and seems to be quite common with oval rings on road bikes.

really..??? is that a word :eek:

No, it's not. I was attributing woo to the concept of elliptical chainrings. IE if it WAS just "woo" (like homeopathy) I think ellipticallicity would fit quite well as a descriptor of the cult.  

It should be a word, though. 

Definitively

I am using an ROtar Q as my smaller ring and a normal round as the bigger ring on my 2x10

Edited by Eddy Gordo

I could also have something to do with frame design around the bb area and the space that's left between the small ring and the bb. So if there is no space for the chain to jam, then it won't happen. So just need to do some modifications when I get the bike back.

Just doing more reading online and seems to be quite common with oval rings on road bikes.

The jamming would be a problem on most bikes. The big problem is the chain shouldn't be falling off due to chain suck. That's created by chain ring wear. When an oval ring is worn it creates chain suck typically on the high point.

The jamming would be a problem on most bikes. The big problem is the chain shouldn't be falling off due to chain suck. That's created by chain ring wear. When an oval ring is worn it creates chain suck typically on the high point.

thanks for the info, but it also happened within the 2 weeks of fitting brand new rings so I doubt it's to do with wear on the ring. There has to be a way around this, the product won't be soo popular if it's crap, and the pro's won't be using it at major events if this is a problem cannot be resolved.

their mach's are better trained to the local guys we use, so I guess the locals just need to spend more time on it to get the set up a 100%.