Some handy info on the Giant Contact Switch Dropper Post

Skylark

Next to the PNP/Makro?

Did you get a Cajees "special" markdown? I was in there on Tuesday and it was priced at R2950. I did pick up a Contact SL stem for R250 though  :whistling: .

Thats the one! Clearly they made a mistake with me then, coz like I said, 2250. They had to special order it for me though. Maybe just try haggle the guys, usually works with them... 

Not to derail the thread  :offtopic:  

Cajees prices are marked high, as soon as you speak to a sales person they will automatically drop the price, they will always give you a different price than on the sticker, haggling shouldn't even be necessary, just ask - I am sure you can get it for at least R500 less probably even more

If I can get one in Gauteng for around R2000-R2500 I will definitely be getting one after I have read everyone's feedback

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have the invoice from Dragon, my LBS did not mark up at all....

I dont think as many Lbs are as kind as yours, what about the fees to get it to Dragon, lbs handling fee etc?

After all thats added in around R700+ seems about right?

What's up with the white lines on the side of the post? I always thought they were scratches when I saw some in classifieds, but it looks like part of the design in that photo!

On my standard Giant Contact post I've found my seat, mid-ride, nose up trying to burrow its way into my asscrack. Giant's torque settings must be way off as this seems to be a common complaint; I had to really ratchet it down hard to stop it from tilting.

I'm still busy trying to decide if I want a Giant or a RS Reverb. At 1.93m, 125mm drop seems to make more sense, but, the Giant's price is so attractive. Also, the offset on the RS appears to be 0mm while Giant's is 12/23mm; I think I need offset.

I have the old "crap" silver one. Its identical internally to the new black one AFAIK and is pretty good. The issues with this dropper are few but here they are:

1. The cable/outer can get contaminated from wheel spray at the seat post end. This makes the stock lever almost impossible to use at times. Its a perfect candidate for a l/h shifter conversion to actuate it. Cable is easy to change tho.

2. Dirt causes the  mechanism that pushes on the activation knob of the cartridge to malfunction. This made mine refuse to stay locked up - it did however stay down. After a clean up its mostly 100% now;

3. The seat clamp does as you say and if you bounce on the edge of the seat eg landing a jump hard, the whole seat can tip up. I tighten mine regularly using a long allen key and so far so good.

Anyone used locktite on the "knuckle" clamp yet to prevent it, or at least assist in reducing the saddle movement?

Carbon paste might also be a consideration.

I used Wurth bearing sealant which cured the problem of the seat tipping. Loctite should do the same.

Here's a diy guide on how to go stealth on an external routing giant dropper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdT06EF_H6E

I don't think there's a better value dropper on the market.

If your frame have a 30.9 post diametre and all you need is 100mm drop I really don't see the point in spending double on the hydraulic actuated alternatives.

pics taken

I was lucky enough to have a gap between my post clamp and frame which I used as a guide. I think this gap is only available on certain quick release clamps. Mine was the standard giant one. Never bothered changing to a bolt on after I installed the dropper.

I also had a small frame and the cable was long enough to route the cable all the way down my seatube and under the BB shell along the bottom tube and up to the bar. 

It worked out quite nicely and neatly and I didn't have this cable bulge behind my seat when it was dropped. It bulged ever so slightly underneath the bb shell. Not even enough to notice behind the cranks

I dont think as many Lbs are as kind as yours, what about the fees to get it to Dragon, lbs handling fee etc?

After all thats added in around R700+ seems about right?

Maybe you should be using my LBS..... You in Cape Town as well?

I have the "crappy" silver dropper post and it is the honestly best mod I have put on my bike to date.

However it seems that the seat is developing a bit more play, if you grab the seat and wiggle it there is movement.

Firstly how much movement is normal and is this something that can adjusted maybe something is loose and can be tightened?

Maybe you should be using my LBS..... You in Cape Town as well?

Nope not yet, hopefully in the next year or so. :drool:

I have the "crappy" silver dropper post and it is the honestly best mod I have put on my bike to date.

However it seems that the seat is developing a bit more play, if you grab the seat and wiggle it there is movement.

Firstly how much movement is normal and is this something that can adjusted maybe something is loose and can be tightened?

Apparently there is some play on the Giant which is normal, the RS Reverb has left to right play when they are brand new out the box. The play on the mid range KS post I used to have is even worse than the Reverb, not sure if the higher end KS posts have play.

Not to hijack the topic but from what I read the 2nd gen has resolved the sagging issue then?

I have a 1st gen but it suffers a bit from a 3-8mm sag when the post is fully extended, oddly it is rock solid when dropped just a bit and lower :huh:.  I combat this by having the seat post out about 5mm extra for when it sags but it is inconsistent so would like to invest in a proper dropper post now.  Bought this one for next to nothing to see if a dropper post is for me or not, needless to say I don't know why I haven't gotten myself one way sooner besides the price...

Maybe a new cartridge will sort it out, perhaps even the lastest gen version will work, ask the lbs?

It seems the cartridge contains pretty much all basic functions of lifting and dropping the post so a new cartridge can pretty much sort anything out apart from physical damage to the post itself..

Maybe you can put a spacer on the cartridge shaft to reduce the range of the post by 10mm and keep it within its currently functional range, should work?

Also read people mentioning the cable length/tension causing funny issues with the post dropping slightly. Also strip the post and clean the insides and the cartridge, apparently the place where the cartridge is switched by the cable can get dirty and that can make the post drop a few degrees involuntarily.

• 1 month later...

Anyone able to recommend where to get one of these babies (the giant dropper post) for a decent price?  I'm based in JHB  but happy to use a courier if necessary.  Cajees has been mentioned - anywhere else? 

Anyone able to recommend where to get one of these babies (the giant dropper post) for a decent price?  I'm based in JHB  but happy to use a courier if necessary.  Cajees has been mentioned - anywhere else? 

I emailed several retailers on Giant's website and Raymond from City Cyles was the only one to respond.  They have them for R2800 in the 375 and 400mm lengths. Apparently the shorter one is suitable for S & M frames and the longer is better for L and XL frames.  

Archived