Some handy info on the Giant Contact Switch Dropper Post

Skylark

NEW one is amazing.  I have the 2015 one on my Trance, and I just picked up a 2016 or my wife's bike.

Travel is 150mm on her 450mm post (just manages to get into the frame deep enough).   Action is much smoother (not that it's a problem on mine), but the seat clamp is now machined as the same as the post, with two bolt adjustment - it really is fantastic, and without an offset (my gripe, especially for climbing).

Was R2500 or so at the Giant Store in Durbanville.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wish they would give some refund on the old one.

Around 50%. :whistling:

Please Dragon Sport, have a heart for the one that is a bit "unhappy", with the old design hick ups.

I wish they would give some refund on the old one.

Around 50%. :whistling:

Please Dragon Sport, have a heart for the one that is a bit "unhappy", with the old design hick ups.

Apart from the seat clamp the old version ie 2015 and before seems pretty solid?

Apart from the seat clamp the old version ie 2015 and before seems pretty solid?

Not only the seat clamp, it is also the 1 bold saddle clamp design, that you constantly have to over tighten.

The dropper it self, is very strong, and well made. Nothing wrong with the rest.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

pics taken

Hairy, what did you use to tie the cable tie together? Looks like rubber bands? Battling to route my cable nicely and when the post drops, the cable goes forward protruding out by the handlebars instead of going down nicely.

This is neat what youve done.

Hairy, what did you use to tie the cable tie together? Looks like rubber bands? Battling to route my cable nicely and when the post drops, the cable goes forward protruding out by the handlebars instead of going down nicely.

This is neat what youve done.

I used a plastic ferrule from a hear cable and cut off the end with the small hole. Fished a cable tie though it to make a loop and then tightened.

Browsing from my cell now, so not certain where in S.A. you are. ....if in ct I can make one for you.

What I found in time was that the cable has now been trained or shaped to this profile and the guide is no longer required.

If you could post pics of your setup with the cable routing out would be interesting to see why the cable pushes forward at the handle bars

Unfortunately for me i am in JHB. The reason why the cable pushes through is because it it attached to the brake cable by these clip on things (phots will explain) but i tried to secure the cable by the post but it just doesn't go down well.

Went through a whole packet of cable tires before giving up.

I have attached some pics so you can see.

post-57045-0-07736200-1463590166_thumb.jpg

post-57045-0-81737900-1463590183_thumb.jpg

post-57045-0-99288200-1463590204_thumb.jpg

post-57045-0-68538300-1463590223_thumb.jpg

post-57045-0-29141300-1463590249_thumb.jpg

post-57045-0-44718000-1463590275_thumb.jpg

Please see attached and pardon the handwriting.

Sweet. Thanks for that. Only reason i routed the cable on the right side of the steerer is because i have the remote on the left and it just looked like the cable was a bit lost there but i think i need to shorten it a bit more.

I will your suggestion, thanks

Just some feedback on the routing. I routed the cables as you suggested, with the brake cable, and lookks much neater and works better.

Didn't have a ferrule or similar to make the guide but i came across a clamp that had a built in guide and works perfect.

You will notice i put the clamp the othet way because that way the cable guode moves a little closer to the back of the post Not so much to the side. I guess its ok to have it this way round, i hope.

My experience with connecting the cable to the bar remote(ergonomics on the stock 2016 remote is pretty good in my eyes) do not cut the cable inner to length until it's feed through the remote and lock screw portion, if you do its neigh impossible to feed the short length of cable through the hole without all the cable strands coming undone. What a mission!

Archived