[Event] 20th Barberton XCM MTB Challenge 2016

Barberton XCM MTB

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Before I forget ....

Big up to the organisers for a great route,superbly marked, fantastic waterpoints and a proper friendly team

Would far rather do races like this than the big name races in Gauteng

Guys who done the ultra, what did you measure the total ascent to be? My Strava said in the region of 2600m, but that sounds to much??

Guys who done the ultra, what did you measure the total ascent to be? My Strava said in the region of 2600m, but that sounds to much??

No it's def correct. Mine is also 2689

Wow, what an event! I did the 48k and I'm totalled. This was the hardest 48k I have ever done, but it was great! The wife complained that there was nothing for them (three kids included) to do, not even a jumping casle for the 7 year old. Well, I've done what I came here to do.. Thanks to the person who borrowed me a bolt to tighten the one clip on my shoe..

Wow, what an event! I did the 48k and I'm totalled. This was the hardest 48k I have ever done, but it was great! The wife complained that there was nothing for them (three kids included) to do, not even a jumping casle for the 7 year old. Well, I've done what I came here to do.. Thanks to the person who borrowed me a bolt to tighten the one clip on my shoe..

Nex time......and I'm sure there will be a next time;

There are under ground mine trips, in old mining areas where the kids get to ride on the underground bikes that run on rail with a tour guide

Barberton Geo-trail takes you out of town towards Belembu border post, very well laid out and safe, total trail ~10km of driving, starts at the four way stop by the school

Barberton Musium

Gold panning

Bavarian restaurant and Micro Brewary

Diggers retreat, with a huge pool, jungle gym and swings (best chicken pies in the world)

Battery Creek Falls

Plenty to keep the kids busy, while you do the 48 next year in 2:30

Next time we must organise a Hub Tent where we all can meet and have beer together.

Awesome idea

My cheap ass Garmin only gave me 2200 odd meters of ascent - I worked damn hard for those other 400m

Awesome idea

My cheap ass Garmin only gave me 2200 odd meters of ascent - I worked damn hard for those other 400m

Go and do a Elevation Correction on strava. It will show 2600 odd metres..

I took part in the Ultra, 

10 out of 10 for route markings 

10 out of 10 for water points and support

but

1 out of ten for single track

0 out of 10 with regards to the last 30km (very much an after thought)

How do I do that? Sorry, only just started using Strava so don't really understand the finer workings yet :huh:

Click in your ride where it shows all ride data for the Ultra. Then in the top right Corner it will show Elevation. Click on it and it will ask "Elevation Correction" just click yes and refresh the page and voila. Correct Elevation.

Sorry to have missed this year, been off the saddle for the last six weeks (injured my leg, went overseas, bike needs work, skint,  excuses, excuses...). It's a real mtb event this, I would say as good as it gets folks. We are spoilt. Thanks organisers for keeping it going.

There is also the whole unique geological aspect of that area as well. Those red sedimentary rocks up there on the top were laid before there was even oxygen in the atmosphere. And the other part of those mountains are in Australia. They are really old. Something like that.