2016 Freedom Challenge RASA & RTR Prep

phones can do navigation way better than a polar watch - I've opened up a new thread on the topic so as not to take away from this one on the race specifically

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/160903-navigation-and-gps-specifically-freedom-challenge/

Good news next year we all will be racing with Nokia 5210 waterproof, shockproof, only sms, call and alarm function, the new way to go.....

:clap: :clap: :clap:

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Might be a simple question, as in "no, that will never work" but with each rider having a tracking device and the public being able to follow a rider is it possible for a support team at home to watch a riders tracking and guide said rider by phone? Perhaps the tracking device is not that accurate but I ask the question because I don't know much about the tracking devices accuracy.

phones can do navigation way better than a polar watch - I've opened up a new thread on the topic so as not to take away from this one on the race specifically

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/160903-navigation-and-gps-specifically-freedom-challenge/

look the way I see it, if you want to cheat you will find a way.  Phones not going to change that.  

But this race is against yourself, so if you cheat you cheat yourself..... 

look the way I see it, if you want to cheat you will find a way.  Phones not going to change that.  

But this race is against yourself, so if you cheat you cheat yourself..... 

All well and good, but if you're going to have rules you should stick to them.

hey..., back to the race

it really looks like tim and mike are being matched totally by tim and theo (and bruce would be there too if you take away his 6hr penalty)

So much talk about cheating!  Why would you want to cheat in this anyway?  It's not like you're going to win anything.  The whole challenge aspect is what appeals to me.  I want to make a wrong turn and get lost - finding your way back on track and navigating the old fashioned way is one of the main draw cards for me.

Having hiked and navigated on foot as well as a bit on a yacht I would also probably enjoy that aspect a lot.

So much talk about cheating!  Why would you want to cheat in this anyway?  It's not like you're going to win anything.  The whole challenge aspect is what appeals to me.  I want to make a wrong turn and get lost - finding your way back on track and navigating the old fashioned way is one of the main draw cards for me.

absolutely - here is the snapshot of my elandsberg excursion...first member of the club

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_h-Tx835tV_g/SI7X8Li2evI/AAAAAAAABDQ/6jsoDRumR1Q/s1600/elandsberg.jpg

tim and mike have just left chesneywold. they will no doubt be doing some night portages later!

liehann is not that far behind, about 7 hours but might stop a bit short today.

tim and theo from the next batch are about to hit lehana's - they're repeating all of tim and mike's moves so far

gary leon and vaughn just kept going up the tina river instead of turning up for vuvu. came in on the road!

VAughn Leon and Gary arrived in Vuvu, despite straying OOB onto the Pirintsu Road -they did traverse the valley - No additional time penalty.

They didn't gain any advantage, in fact I think they have wasted precious time and effort, that's why I think the RD decided not to punish them.

Time penalties or DQ are been decided on the advantage that a rider might achieve through his actions to gain advantage over other riders.

The advantage are being calculated by time and energy expenditure advantage gain, in other words if you gain time with less energy expenditure, you will receive a penalty.

In the case of the Picasso's Gary, Leon and Vaughn they have spend more energy on their route and actually lost about an hour in doing so, which in this case the RD decided not to penalize them.

But beware if in doubt or you know you are at fault, or you might want to make a dot of route, it's best to phone the RD and discuss the matter before you make the decision to act.

:w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

Tim and theo almost cresting lehana's pass.

Tim and mike getting close to kapokkraal.

night moves getting loaded up!

hey..., back to the race

it really looks like tim and mike are being matched totally by tim and theo (and bruce would be there too if you take away his 6hr penalty)

Bruce Hughes was awarded a 3hr time penalty (as per the rules) for receiving a new wheel at Glen Edward, not 6 hrs. 

Archived