2016 Freedom Challenge RASA & RTR Prep

so no more going to look at the aeroplane ?

and as per your questions, is this route allowed ?

Yip. it was used for the first time last year, Theo scouted it and consulted with organisers before using it. It's been discussed as an option for yonks, but no one had ever had gone to the point of scouting it out.

Main route is still the one in red. 

They're right up together again!  

Wonder if they'll have a sprint finish?

no sprint finish. they're riding the last stage together, hence the big sleep last night.

ho hum

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply

winner winner

second by a ball hair

I got a bit fooled here. It used to be that if you finished within 15mins of another rider, then you both got the same time. this was because people ride in groups and also to stop a sprint finish. you don't really want a sprint finish in this sort of thing (both for safety reasons and logistics) - if you can't win by more than 15 mins, then it's a tie.

Now, according to Rule #9 

9. Determination of the winner

The object of the Freedom Challenge is to determine which Challenger can cover the race route in the shortest time.

I'm not sure when this changed, and how I really feel about it (but it's not up to me, so doesn't really matter!).

Well done to Theo, I spoke to him last year at the dinner for quite a bit. He was damn determined to really go for broke for this year's event. Clearly that passion never wavered and you have to salute hard work getting it's just reward.

Well done to Bruce too, you can look at time penalties he got along the way, missing the Cambria gate, rockblasting and see he could have gone a bit quicker. It was probably his decision to concede to Theo ("maybe, I'll show you the quick way up stettyns if you let me win?!!") and that's his to live with. I don't fully agree with it, but I'm here at my desk, not in the saddle.

Will no doubt be back, and we'll all be the richer for it.

ok so that is that out the way, lets get to the real freedom challenge ....

where is Mr Dirt Rider and when is this bad weather going to get to him.

Congratulations to Theo and Bruce for racing the way they did.

The finish was the epitome of true sportsmanship.

OPINION – FLIRTING WITH DANGER

“ its all sh*ts and giggles until someone giggles and sh*ts”

Yesterday saw a very quiet day from the race office online, the one reason was there were to be few finishers at Diemersfontein and birthday needed to be celebrated, but the other one was that someone was left in the Kloof. Now I have no special insight or facts there other than that which was communicated in the daily update last night and thankfully the news was good, rider 257 was “safe and sound”. In mountaineering and rescue parlance that means ‘stand down’ and the situation has been resolved – no further action needed. Those terms are not used lightly and speak of any immediate danger having been avoided. This post is not about those circumstances, but it was quite clear to those following that from Saturday afternoon when the experienced group split off from one senior rider who was new to the Kloof that there was the potential for a rider to be placed in an uncomfortable if not difficult situation.

The purpose of this post is simply to highlight the fact that the Freedom Challenge is an extreme adventure race and that this was the second time this year in which the farming community was asked to aid a rider, the other being a rider found suffering hypothermia and disorientation in the River – again experiencing difficulty (mechanical) and having been left by a group overnight to fend for himself.

RASA is not Race2Rhodes – you have no foresight into the weather and have to be prepared for anything, it is an individual race and one cannot expect assistance, although it may well be offered – at times it is every man or woman for themselves. As such everyone should be properly prepared. As with what happened with trail running when it flourished – I have a concern that riders are going lighter and faster – thereby discarding ‘unnecessary’ weight in favour or speed and convenience. Years ago the RASA packs were bigger and riders carried more – I have a fear that this lighter and faster is not good. One seldom hears of riders now carrying a full spare tyre, a basic heating/ firemaking device or an emergency meal. It’s all about how little I can take – which is all fine, until the quote above rings true and in RASA the sh*t happens.

Regarding the leaving of a fellow competitor alone out there – in the mountaineering community and environment (where a cyclist suddenly finds themselves) this never happens, the group does not split unless it is big enough for others to go and seek help for the person in trouble. But RASA is a race and each person does or should know that they need to be individually self-supporting. So help may indeed be offered and the rider in trouble may insist that the others proceed and leave them to make their ‘own way slowly’, that is a choice made by each party based upon the circumstances. However there do seem to be some competitors who are prepared to enforce their lack of preparation on others or unduly request assistance – this not only unfair, but it is irresponsible. The purpose of this post is that riders should carefully consider their own actions and ability and decide if they could support themselves in either the River or the Valley bearing in mind that the Cape of Storms is not only cold, but very wet too – it may take a lot to survive outside for a night.

To put it in perspective – one of the best prepared (sleeps anywhere) and most experienced riders went left Trouthaven at 8h55 and arrived at Diemersfontein at 01h44 some 17 hours later, just think what might have happened if he dumped some kit and food at Trouthaven in expectation of a quick passage through the Kloof.

The point of all of this is that it may well be photos of zamaleks, high fives and ‘I don’t need maps, a compass, or rain gear’, which is all fine until the giggles suddenly stop. As they say “adventure guaranteed”, but it is unlikely to be on your terms when it arrives.

This:

However there do seem to be some competitors who are prepared to enforce their lack of preparation on others or unduly request assistance – this not only unfair, but it is irresponsible. The purpose of this post is that riders should carefully consider their own actions and ability and decide if they could support themselves in either the River or the Valley bearing in mind that the Cape of Storms is not only cold, but very wet too – it may take a lot to survive outside for a night.

To tubed, I believe its a choice most know they will have to make and take seriously. Myself I had to make that choice several times last year. You talk with the other riders put the cards openly on the table and make a choice.

I got to the Bottom of Aasvoelberg with Johan beiing on a misssion to try and catch the group he lost which was going to Hofmeyer. When we got to Aasvoelberg they had already gone over. It was raining quite a bit and visibility because of fog maybe a 100m at the top clearly  a lot less. We found two bikes and one rider at the bottom. The rider was talking of abandoning, the other was knocking of what I knew was empty farm doors for a place to sleep. They tried to cnvince us to bail back To Romansfontein Johan asked me Crazy you think we can make this I said Commander we need to get going soon but I ve been here before and am quite sure we can and If not I will tell you when to turn around to get back down before the light goed. The two asked If we would take them(I have to say they where fitter then us). We said ok but on our terms as light is running out, you get five minutes to put on the kit you need and then we go we won't stop and you follow behind me so I can double check with spoor. I got really annoyed when one of them started to track in front of me putting confusing tracks down. We got to the top 25m visibility I found my fences took a short cut and we sailed down the other side just before light ran out. 

At Bucklands I was joined by JT we only met twice before when he woke us up in Grootdam and the 5minutes we spend together at the Kleinpoort farmstall. He was uneasy about Mordor and not keen to go in by himself. As I had recced it we agreed to go in on my timeframe. On the clear deal that I would wait fo him as long as he could reasonably keep up, we agreed on 15min on the campsite and 5m on each crossing. As I knew we would have some spare time but wasn't wanting to sleep out there for someone else. Jacques was a true gentlemen and we had a blitz passing through mordor. He waited the next day for me to wake from my beauty sleep to go on together. I charged out of Willowmore injured and popped 20k from PA although I told him to leave me behind he slogged at my walking speed and got me home.

Although sometimes you need to say no. I was also asked to take two guys over Lehana's over the alternatice route at night. But as I had made a mess of it on my recce trip I didn't. I was confident to make it on my own but not willing to risk the responsabilty for two other human souls. They chose to go on and spend a cold night in the container, making it to Rhodes only just in front of me.

Think about it before hand and prepare for the worst. Those thick pants and gloves can save you one day. Don't agree about mountaineering though, many people have left to die on a mountain sadly. 

On this years events the guy with bike issues could have gone back to Hadley, he can't expect a whole group to risk sleeping next to the river or do a night trek for him, his choice his problem. I am not in favour of fetching people with cars or going to look for them. On the other hand sometimes we have to we don't want anyone to get badly hurt or killed on the trail, as doctors are few and far between.

Maarten:

"Johan asked me Crazy you think we can make this I said Commander we need to get going soon but I've been here before and am quite sure we can and If not I will tell you when to turn around to get back down before the light goed."

Those who have ridden with Maarten know a few things about him:

1. He's not crazy

2. He's not German

3. He is the kind of person you can rely on when the sh*t hits the fan

4. He's one of the few foreign members of the DWK

Dirt Rider appears to be pushing through Montague.

Is this a wise move as he will make Mcgregor later tonight, or maybe tomorrow and then just keep going ?

anyone know the distances ?

what is the cut off time to enter the kloof ?

As far as I know there is no cut off into Stettyns - only decided by how crazy you are!!

Thanks Suzi

I am wondering about Pierre's plans for the next few days.

There is bad weather on the way with lots of wind - not to much rain - but it is enough and the temps drop to the low's, especially friday and saturday, they dont get much above 12 the entire two days.

Will he overnight tonight before the kloof, or push on through.

Thanks Suzi

I am wondering about Pierre's plans for the next few days.

There is bad weather on the way with lots of wind - not to much rain - but it is enough and the temps drop to the low's, especially friday and saturday, they dont get much above 12 the entire two days.

Will he overnight tonight before the kloof, or push on through.

I think Pierre has plenty of crazy in him so who knows? But realistically he is still probably about 20km from McGregor and its 108km to Trouthaven from there.  I would say he is aiming for Trouthaven today - a good rest and then to start on the last hurdle tomorrow morning early.  That will get him into Driemersfontein by Thursday evening, so he will make his cut off and the dinner with plenty of time to spare.  Its not necessary for him to attempt to push on.

Archived