2016 Freedom Challenge RASA & RTR Prep

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Question regarding weight distribution on RTR.

Want to strike a balance between backpack & Revelate saddle bag.

Everything on back ... sore saddle.

Everything on bike ... heavy on shoulders for all the portages.

My gut feel suggests everything on back, HTFU the sore bum & have easier push/portages. Or does one split load between backpack/bike?

What do you suggest?

Think a balance would be nice . Last year had everything on the bike . No problems from saddle at all but the portage sections did become very difficult . I would do it again like that but will then make sure I can hook the saddle bags onto camelpack or something similar (current bags does make provision to do that) . This year I will go the other xtreme and have everything in backpack . Will let you know how that have worked for me and can then maybe give a more informed view on the subject . 

My gut feel suggests everything on back, HTFU the sore bum & have easier push/portages. Or does one split load between backpack/bike?

What do you suggest?

Pack everything into a grand piano and then burn the whole lot down to ashes.

What do you suggest?

I have load split. Remember on balance to Rhodes you spend much more time in the saddle than pushing/portaging bike.

From the narratives:

Toekomst to Kleinpoort 90km

Kleinpoort to Bucklands 30km

Bucklands to Hadley 42km

Could be 19+ hrs

... the race director should know - maybe you could ask? :P

Toekmost to Hadley took us 16h30 last year. Hadley was only another 3 hours from Bucklands and easy riding. The Bucklands exit could be tricky in the dark but is easy in daylight and we had sunset after we hit the main dirt road to Hadley so no navigation issues.

From the narratives:

Toekomst to Kleinpoort 90km

Kleinpoort to Bucklands 30km

Bucklands to Hadley 42km

Could be 19+ hrs

Try and get hold of the progress Excell(or send me your mail) it will give you an Idea of times people take.

Toekomst to Bucklands is a day I left at sunset, had a roadside nap and got there when night fell. Toekomst all the way to Hadley is a long long day But not impossible my ride partner went gegun to Bucklands. We left Bucklands at first light and got To the entry of Osseberg before lunch time, we were out the other side 4 hours later(not many will go much faster then that though). Its about ten hours Bucklands to Cambria If you know the way. If you are not in a Rush I would recommend Toekomst to Kleinpoort, Kleinpoort to Hadley and then next day the beautifull little river splash.

What do you suggest?

Don't portage, push let the wheels take the load, there is not much real carrying on the route.

I've been told that they are now both manicured and mown, not sure how up to date that is though?

There are traffic lights at the river crossings. There will be little dingy's to take you across. And ladies waving palm leaves to cool you down from the heat. 

Slight inaccuracies might be present in this post.

Anyone been through Stettyn's this past few months? Any idea how thick/overgrown bush is this year for RASA. 

Same goes for Grootrivier into Cumbria.

Shouldn't be a problem, just follow the river it will lead you to safety......

I have load split. Remember on balance to Rhodes you spend much more time in the saddle than pushing/portaging bike.

Truth you are going to carry it anyway on your shoulders or on your bike, combined weight will remain the same, but if you can't sit you can't pedal.....

:thumbup:  :thumbup: :thumbup:  

Agree..........!

There are traffic lights at the river crossings. There will be little dingy's to take you across. And ladies waving palm leaves to cool you down from the heat. 

Slight inaccuracies might be present in this post.

Really? Where?

Really? Where?

Once hypothermia and dehydration set in or you eat too many leaves from the trees they magically appear from the undergrowth

Archived