2016 Freedom Challenge RASA & RTR Prep

My 2 cents:

The rich pickings of the abandoned boxes is not as it was - riders are more prepared and less wasteful generally and I think some of the support stations do collect some of the leftovers before next riders get there - no problem with that.

The food at the SS are more than adequate - I got by with no boxes and ate what was on offer, but you cannot afford to scrounge for maps or narratives - so if you like go sparingly on the food as there is enough, but make sure you have the maps.

One useful suggestion would be to ask riders to label tablets/ medicine if possible, this is of the most abandoned item and some of the support station hosts can really benefit from the stuff, but were advised to toss it unless they know exactly what it is and how to administer it. Its hard to see them chuck a pack of tablets which not only cost a lot, but are scarce in some parts.

Talking about abandoned things - was the bike recovered?

Thanks for the suggestion about labelling.

Yes, it will be a requirement in future (if I have my way) Proper labelling of all meds, powders, liquids, etc. And proper labelling of the 2l tubs (i.e. printed, stick-on labels at both ends, possibly supplied as part of your entry)

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the suggestion about labelling.

Yes, it will be a requirement in future (if I have my way) Proper labelling of all meds, powders, liquids, etc. And proper labelling of the 2l tubs (i.e. printed, stick-on labels at both ends, possibly supplied as part of your entry)

Great!, its hard to describe the humility it takes for a lady host to sheepishly come to you to ask if there is anyway this is a 'headache' cause they really dont want to just flush it and you stand there thinking how crass some of our wasteful behaviour is, even though this race really has a heightened sense of community we can still do more by just being more aware.

My 2 cents:

The rich pickings of the abandoned boxes is not as it was - riders are more prepared and less wasteful generally and I think some of the support stations do collect some of the leftovers before next riders get there - no problem with that.

The food at the SS are more than adequate - I got by with no boxes and ate what was on offer, but you cannot afford to scrounge for maps or narratives - so if you like go sparingly on the food as there is enough, but make sure you have the maps.

One useful suggestion would be to ask riders to label tablets/ medicine if possible, this is of the most abandoned item and some of the support station hosts can really benefit from the stuff, but were advised to toss it unless they know exactly what it is and how to administer it. Its hard to see them chuck a pack of tablets which not only cost a lot, but are scarce in some parts.

Talking about abandoned things - was the bike recovered?

Did they recover the bike?  :whistling:

so 8 days till entries open. decisions, decisions....

What are you unsure about . I am sure we can assist you . There are really only two decisions to be made . Chocolates or salty cracks .

Did they recover the bike?  :whistling:

i hope so...might end up in the river if it stay there too long.

What are you unsure about . I am sure we can assist you . There are really only two decisions to be made . Chocolates or salty cracks .

Is that even a question?  Who chooses salty cracks over chocolate?!

Is that even a question?  Who chooses salty cracks over chocolate?!

depends who's salty crack it is...

it's the 3 weeks off work that's the problem. The again, I could just do it in 12 days.

Ok now I am finished .

Great read!  

Did you not have your own ice-cream boxes loaded with sweets?

The whole thing just looks awesome!

Great read!  

Did you not have your own ice-cream boxes loaded with sweets?

The whole thing just looks awesome!

:w00t:  For some reason I only had two bars of chocolates in each box . For some reason this year I just could not stop eating the stuff . I swapped biltong for candy bars  :eek:

• 2 weeks later...

Was thinking about the right backpack for this. Looking for one that can lie flat and zip open completely (like a suitcase) instead of only being able to access your stuff from the top. Any ideas?

Was thinking about the right backpack for this. Looking for one that can lie flat and zip open completely (like a suitcase) instead of only being able to access your stuff from the top. Any ideas?

i used a salomon minum 30 backpack, really great pack. Bought it at the Salomon store in Canal Walk.

Archived