Review: Garmin fenix 3

Matt

Best looking sports watch out there. With optical HRMs improving every year I think I'm going to wait until a high end model has one integrated in the strap. It apparently works really well in the FR225, which seems to be Garmin's way of testing it on the market. Hopefully it makes its way up the chain to the FR620 series and maybe even the Fenix eventually. When that day comes I'll sell a kidney.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes used everything except a cadence meter... which in my opinion is useless in mountain biking. Other than that everything was on.

It's only useless if you push your bike a lot  :ph34r:  :whistling:

So you have been behind me before....  ;)

Once I think yes but that was when I was lapping you....

Hehe no seriously I quite like it especially on the long rides / straights or long climbs.

And using that in conjunction with Wattbike data gives you a good indication of what you are doing and should be doing.

But I agree that on trail type riding it's not really of any use except for giving speed in wooded areas when GPS reception might not be so good.

I just bought one to go with my Fenix3 but have not fitted it yet.

Hehe no seriously I quite like it especially on the long rides / straights or long climbs.

And using that in conjunction with Wattbike data gives you a good indication of what you are doing and should be doing.

But I agree that on trail type riding it's not really of any use except for giving speed in wooded areas when GPS reception might not be so good.

I just bought one to go with my Fenix3 but have not fitted it yet.

Hi Izak, its been a week :)

I cannot let my toys stay unused for that long!

Edited by antonj

.... only for now my friend... hehehehe

But I have used the cadence function on the watch when running... and still figuring out how the data is going to assist me in training. The watch iz very much to cleva

Hi Izak, its been a week :)

I cannot let my toys stay unused for that long!

Trust me Anton I am so frustrated!  Haven't even had time to get a magnet yet alone fit and go for a ride and not looking good for the next few days either.

Hopefully on Sunday afternoon!

• 1 month later...

Are there any "tricks" with getting the Fenix 3 to read the data from the gym's Watt Bike at VA?  I cannot get my Fenix 3 to do this.  Thanks

Are there any "tricks" with getting the Fenix 3 to read the data from the gym's Watt Bike at VA?  I cannot get my Fenix 3 to do this.  Thanks

On the main screen there is a menu option called ANT Channels.  Select that and select all the sensors you want to see.

Once you do this you will see a code at the bottom of the Wattbike screen which is unique to that specific bike.

When you the Add Sensors from the sensors menu on your watch it will pick up all available sensors and you simply select the ones corresponding with the code of the bike you are on.

On the main screen there is a menu option called ANT Channels.  Select that and select all the sensors you want to see.

Once you do this you will see a code at the bottom of the Wattbike screen which is unique to that specific bike.

When you the Add Sensors from the sensors menu on your watch it will pick up all available sensors and you simply select the ones corresponding with the code of the bike you are on.

Thanks a lot!  I'll give it a go...

Im thinking about the Fenix3 for the longer battery life than my current watch.

Still not 100% between it and the 920 though.

Im thinking about the Fenix3 for the longer battery life than my current watch.

Still not 100% between it and the 920 though.

Have you looked at dcrainmakers reviews? Very insightful. Also review the comments below each review. Always helpful info there from real users.