Review: CycleOps PowerSync Indoor Trainer

Matt

I use to have a conti sport on the training wheel and did experience some slippage, have been running a trainer tyre fore the last month and regularly get over 260W without such slippage.  In fact have had no slippage since using the trainer tyre.  Are you also adjusting the tension knob correctly?

Thanks, will maybe have to get a trainer tyre. I have adjusted the tension knob a few times and tried different tyre pressures also as suggested from some other posts online.

Still no luck.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently purchased a used Powerbeam pro, and experiencing some tyre slip when putting down the power. Anything over about 260w or a 6% gradient on a route and it starts to slip.

What can be done to solve this ? Will a trainer tyre help, I am using a old gatorskin at the moment.

I was running an old tyre and had similar slippage. A new tyre helped, but I've found it's usually decent tyre pressure (7-8 bar) and proper tension adjustment (until the click) that sorts it out.

When the bike is on the trainer for a while you often don't think to check tyre pressure. I found as it deflates over time / slow leaks the slippage gets worse.

Thanks, will maybe have to get a trainer tyre. I have adjusted the tension knob a few times and tried different tyre pressures also as suggested from some other posts online.

Still no luck.

Am using a Conti trainer tyre at 7bar

Clean the tyre and roller with Meths or thinners, just do not wipe the black sticker on the roller...it has probably picked up a bit of oil or snot from an outdoor ride...Make sure your tyre is correctly inflated and the clutch knob is tight enough - clicks twice...

cool, will give it a wipe down now and have another go.

I always had this issue with my powerbeam. It has become really bad lately. As soon as gradient goes over 4% it is almost impossible to ride and the Watts drop below 120. Irritates the crap out of me. Will try using a new tyre but in future I will not buy a wheel based trainer again. If the hammer is cheaper than the kickr I might try that

not good to hear... I had the fluid2 before this and could get a much better session in. Used the powerbeam twice now and it also frustrated me so just packed it up.

But there must be a solution to this. Will give the guys at BicyclePower a call tomorrow.

Hey guys what SkinnyOne said usually sorts the problem out.....

We find that normal road tires are actually better than IDT tyres from a "grip" and sound perspective. 

Please give us a shout if you don't come right. 

Edited by BicyclePower

Hey guys what SkinnyOne said usually sorts the problem out.....

We find that normal road tires are actually getter than IDT tires from a "grip" and sound perspective. 

Please give us a shout if you don't come right. 

I gave both the rollers and tyre a wipe down with thinners. Did some intervals in slope mode up to 380w and it seems to be fine. Will have to try it out on a route or in Erg mode to make sure all is fine.

Thanks all for the tips.

Great, just be careful with thinners that you do not remove the black colouring off the square black tape on the actual resistance unit roller (part where the bike tyre runs against the trainer).

Great, just be careful with thinners that you do not remove the black colouring off the square black tape on the actual resistance unit roller (part where the bike tyre runs against the trainer).

I am really impressed with your feedback and personal messages on the issues you see here. This is really good service!!!!

I am a cycleops fan owning a powertap, powercal, and powerbeam so it is really good to see you guys react like this. Kudos bud!!!

Edited by Jaco-fiets

Thanks Jaco.... We hope to spread the CycleOps love a little more with our new "smart" trainers.

We are grateful for all the feedback we get from hubbers, good and bad. You guys motivate us to improve our service offerings.

Keep an eye out more exciting things to come from us over the coming weeks.