Review: CycleOps PowerSync Indoor Trainer

Matt

Thanks. I understand the differences in connectivity.

if i get the ant device, i will need the ant + iPhone key to use my ipad to control the trainer. will my cadence and hr be picked up with the ant+ iPhone key, or will i need to have my garmin on to get this information

if i go with the Bluetooth, then i don't need the ant adaptor, as my ipad will connect via Bluetooth. but then for cadence and hr, i will need Bluetooth devices to get this information to my ipad.

That is correct yes, the Garmin speed/cadence will be picked up by the iPhone key and be displayed on the screen in the app, there is no need for the Garmin head unit to be present.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the reason I'm considering the Kickr Snap, though many people on this forum say that the Cycleops unit is better.

I would recommend reading up on a couple of independent reviews on the web. DC Rainmaker is one I like a lot. Wahoo is definitely a solid brand.

I believe the CycleOps VirtualTraining software does support the Wahoo trainers, I've seen quite a few workouts on the site listed with the device as "Wahoo Kickr".

I use a Tacx smart trainer with CVT, works fine as well.

You are correct, the KICKR is supported. 

soooo, i have another question for Christian - what deal can you make for us on the hub on a kickr/kickr snap? this will answer my questions, and add flexibility.

also, what software will i require? does wahoo have something like the cycleops virtual training, or can you use the cycleops virtual training with a wahoo?

:) No selling on threads, against the rules. But you know where to find me and who to ask for. 

Wahoo has multiple apps available for the KICKR. You are free to choose. It works with VirtualTraining, TrainerRoad and apps like ZWIFT for some gamification. Last time I checked there was about 25 compatible Apps for the KICKR. 

Hi

I just bought a Vortex Smart trainer. Works perfectly with Virtual Trainer and Tacx Trainer on my ipad via bluetooth (no ANT+ dongle). Currently using my garmin edge and HRM strap for HR information. I would like to have the trainer information and HR information all in 1 place and upload to strava.

Will I be able to just get a bluetooth HR strap and pair both HR strap and trainer to the ipad via bluetooth? Or will i need a ANT+ dongle and bluetooth HR strap? Or could i just get a ANT+ dongle for my current HR strap?

Hi

I just bought a Vortex Smart trainer. Works perfectly with Virtual Trainer and Tacx Trainer on my ipad via bluetooth (no ANT+ dongle). Currently using my garmin edge and HRM strap for HR information. I would like to have the trainer information and HR information all in 1 place and upload to strava.

Will I be able to just get a bluetooth HR strap and pair both HR strap and trainer to the ipad via bluetooth? Or will i need a ANT+ dongle and bluetooth HR strap? Or could i just get a ANT+ dongle for my current HR strap?

Are you getting power data on your Garmin computer?

Are you getting power data on your Garmin computer?

No - I get distance, speed, power, cadence, KJ on my ipad. Information comes from tacx break via bluetooth. I only need to use my garmin for HR information. But I would like to get HR on my ipad as well by only buying 1 device (either bluetooth HR sensor or ANT+ dongle).

No - I get distance, speed, power, cadence, KJ on my ipad. Information comes from tacx break via bluetooth. I only need to use my garmin for HR information. But I would like to get HR on my ipad as well by only buying 1 device (either bluetooth HR sensor or ANT+ dongle).

The ANT+ adapter probably costs the same as a dual ANT+/Bluetooth HRM, plus depending on the ipad model, you'll need another adapter just to be able to use it.

If you get a dual type HRM, you can use it on the ipad AND Garmin (should your Garmin's own one ever fail).

The ANT+ adapter probably costs the same as a dual ANT+/Bluetooth HRM, plus depending on the ipad model, you'll need another adapter just to be able to use it.

If you get a dual type HRM, you can use it on the ipad AND Garmin (should your Garmin's own one ever fail).

Correct, you require an 30pin to lightning adapter to make the ANT+ adapter work. 

• 2 months later...

If you get a dual type HRM, you can use it on the ipad AND Garmin (should when your Garmin's own one ever fail).

I had to fix this....

• 5 months later...

Can a Garmin 520 be used to control the trainer for power intervals?

Hi Carrera4s,

Unfortunately the CycleOps PowerSync is not ANT-FEC so will not link up with the likes of Garmin.

Our new Hammer direct drive trainer and Magnus (wheel on) trainer will be both ANT-FEC and BLE compatible so these will integrate with your Garmin. ETA on both the Hammer and Magnus is towards the end of the year. 

I recently purchased a used Powerbeam pro, and experiencing some tyre slip when putting down the power. Anything over about 260w or a 6% gradient on a route and it starts to slip.

What can be done to solve this ? Will a trainer tyre help, I am using a old gatorskin at the moment.

I recently purchased a used Powerbeam pro, and experiencing some tyre slip when putting down the power. Anything over about 260w or a 6% gradient on a route and it starts to slip.

What can be done to solve this ? Will a trainer tyre help, I am using a old gatorskin at the moment.

I use to have a conti sport on the training wheel and did experience some slippage, have been running a trainer tyre for the last month and regularly get over 260W without such slippage.  In fact have had no slippage since using the trainer tyre.  Are you also adjusting the tension knob correctly?

Edited by shaper

Clean the tyre and roller with Meths or thinners, just do not wipe the black sticker on the roller...it has probably picked up a bit of oil or snot from an outdoor ride...Make sure your tyre is correctly inflated and the clutch knob is tight enough - clicks twice...

Edited by Skinnyone

I always had this issue with my powerbeam. It has become really bad lately. As soon as gradient goes over 4% it is almost impossible to ride and the Watts drop below 120. Irritates the crap out of me. Will try using a new tyre but in future I will not buy a wheel based trainer again. If the hammer is cheaper than the kickr I might try that