Review: CycleOps PowerSync Indoor Trainer

Matt

I saw this destroyed roller (silver metal part on one of the top photo's) and wondered what happened. Byt see a "Semi slick" tyre was tested...eish

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw this destroyed roller (silver metal part on one of the top photo's) and wondered what happened. Byt see a "Semi slick" tyre was tested...eish

I think that's just a bit of dirt and reflection, the roller is in perfect shape. The semi-slick contact surface is no different from a road tyre.

• 3 months later...

I need some help. Recently bought Cycleops Powerbeam Pro. This is a bluetooth model not Ant +. A question, how come the Powerbeam would connect via Bluetooth to my smartphone and Ipad. However the Cyclops would not connect to my Garmin 810 which is also Bluetooth?

I'd appreciate feedback.

X man why would you want to connect it ,,,forgive the blonde question

Thanks for the reply. To track my cadence and Heart Rate etc..

I was told I need to purchase a Bluetooth Heart rate strap if u want to monitor Heart rate.

I'm currently connecting and recording with Ipad and Samsung Galaxy

You need the blue tooth strap, if you have that you pretty much sorted, you can sync the training rides, races or routes that it automatically uploads to say strava

Edited by DIPSLICK

I need some help. Recently bought Cycleops Powerbeam Pro. This is a bluetooth model not Ant +. A question, how come the Powerbeam would connect via Bluetooth to my smartphone and Ipad. However the Cyclops would not connect to my Garmin 810 which is also Bluetooth?

I'd appreciate feedback.

810 only has bluetooth to upload rides via the cellphone....unfortunately it can't receive fitness data via bluetooth, only via ant

• 2 months later...

i'm looking at getting a cycleops.

are people using their garmins purely for cadence/hrr with this set up, or will the results of a ride done on the cycleops reflect on the garmin. i like to keep the result of all my training in one place, so would like to have this reflected on my garmin

if it is purely for cadence/hrr, is getting the bluetooth cycleops with a bluetooth hrm and cadence sensor not a better option, as you wont need the ant connection?

Bluetooth (BLE) CANNOT connect TO the Garmin, the Garmin does not listen in BLE (cannot pick up the signal from trainer/HR) it only talks in BLE to your smartphone. You still need a smartphone/tablet/PC to operate the trainer, either in BLE OR ANT+. CycleOps are apparently working on a dual band trainer but right now you have to choose between the two. 

Some Samsung phones and tablets have ANT+ built in and thus can be used to control an ANT+ trainer, the Garmin accessories can then be used as is and the data can be captured by the Garmin as well...

Apple products only have BLE so to then use the ANT+ trainer and accessories you would need a Wahoo key to pick up the ANT+ signal. 

If you have a BLE trainer and accessories then you cannot use the Garmin for anything. 

There is no difference between ANT+ and BLE in terms of connectivity and functionality, they are slightly different frequencies in the same band. Also ANT+ needs a code to connect (all done automatically) whereas BLE does not.

Have a look at their site for compatibility charts:

http://www.cycleops.com/virtualtraining/compatibility

Most apps that are used to control the trainers (CycleOps Virtual Training, Zwift etc.) will all transfer the data of your ride to Strava etc. anyway, so if you are uploading your Garmin data to Strava then don't fret... the app will do it for you.

Bluetooth (BLE) CANNOT connect TO the Garmin, the Garmin does not listen in BLE (cannot pick up the signal from trainer/HR) it only talks in BLE to your smartphone. You still need a smartphone/tablet/PC to operate the trainer, either in BLE OR ANT+. CycleOps are apparently working on a dual band trainer but right now you have to choose between the two. 

Some Samsung phones and tablets have ANT+ built in and thus can be used to control an ANT+ trainer, the Garmin accessories can then be used as is and the data can be captured by the Garmin as well...

Apple products only have BLE so to then use the ANT+ trainer and accessories you would need a Wahoo key to pick up the ANT+ signal. 

If you have a BLE trainer and accessories then you cannot use the Garmin for anything. 

There is no difference between ANT+ and BLE in terms of connectivity and functionality, they are slightly different frequencies in the same band. Also ANT+ needs a code to connect (all done automatically) whereas BLE does not.

Most apps that are used to control the trainers (CycleOps Virtual Training, Zwift etc.) will all transfer the data of your ride to Strava etc. anyway, so if you are uploading your Garmin data to Strava then don't fret... the app will do it for you.

Thanks. I understand the differences in connectivity.

if i get the ant device, i will need the ant + iPhone key to use my ipad to control the trainer. will my cadence and hr be picked up with the ant+ iPhone key, or will i need to have my garmin on to get this information

if i go with the Bluetooth, then i don't need the ant adaptor, as my ipad will connect via Bluetooth. but then for cadence and hr, i will need Bluetooth devices to get this information to my ipad.

810 only has bluetooth to upload rides via the cellphone....unfortunately it can't receive fitness data via bluetooth, only via ant

if i get the ant device, i will need the ant + iPhone key to use my ipad to control the trainer. will my cadence and hr be picked up with the ant+ iPhone key, or will i need to have my garmin on to get this information

if i go with the Bluetooth, then i don't need the ant adaptor, as my ipad will connect via Bluetooth. but then for cadence and hr, i will need Bluetooth devices to get this information to my ipad.

The Wahoo KICKR and KICKR SNAP has both Bluetooth and ANT+ and can work simultaneously to communicate to multiple devices. 

Might be a solution? 

if i get the ant device, i will need the ant + iPhone key to use my ipad to control the trainer. will my cadence and hr be picked up with the ant+ iPhone key, or will i need to have my garmin on to get this information

Keen to find this out as well. I know the trainer can connect to my Garmin Edge 520 and give power stats and such (this would then combine cadence, speed and power into one activity), but can the trainer still be controlled by my Tablet at the same time, provided it has a Ant+ dongle? Or will the trainer software also pick up my existing Garmin cadence sensor (I gather it measures speed internally, but if not, there's always the Garmin speed sensor as well)?

The Wahoo KICKR and KICKR SNAP has both Bluetooth and ANT+ and can work simultaneously to communicate to multiple devices.

Might be a solution?

This is the reason I'm considering the Kickr Snap, though many people on this forum say that the Cycleops unit is better.

Might be a solution? 

soooo, i have another question for Christian - what deal can you make for us on the hub on a kickr/kickr snap? this will answer my questions, and add flexibility.

also, what software will i require? does wahoo have something like the cycleops virtual training, or can you use the cycleops virtual training with a wahoo?

soooo, i have another question for Christian - what deal can you make for us on the hub on a kickr/kickr snap? this will answer my questions, and add flexibility.

also, what software will i require? does wahoo have something like the cycleops virtual training, or can you use the cycleops virtual training with a wahoo?

I believe the CycleOps VirtualTraining software does support the Wahoo trainers, I've seen quite a few workouts on the site listed with the device as "Wahoo Kickr".

I use a Tacx smart trainer with CVT, works fine as well.