Bike fit - worth it?

I will be going for my fitment this afternoon.  Been batting (make that agonising) with Hot Foot and ITB plus pain on my right leg as well as hunched shoulders.   I will let you know what was done and if there is any inprovement in a few days.

The guy I am going to is Clayton at Cycle Symmetry in Durban North.  Highly recommended to me and has all the gizzmo's apparently.  Cost?  R450 for a full setup.  Where do these other guys get off charging R1500+?

Let's see how it goes.

Please let us know if you feel any improvement please.

The fitment offered by CycleFit is very hightec with a computer, lazers and stuff. Hotspot in Pta now offers something very similar.

I had my bike been set-up, but it was not pro at all. That said, apart from my left hand getting a little numb, I don't have any other issues.

My wife complains about knee pain as well as hot foot.

I don't have a problem paying R3k, but then I want a definite improvement.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A proper bike fit is exponentially worth more than a new wheelset with a fraction of the outlay. 

It's probably the most important part of your riding, how you interface with your bike. Be it for competition, fun or casual riding. 

Still find it amazing that people wont think twice on dropping a few k on a set of handlebars, wheelset or bling. But balk at spending less than that on a proper bike setup. 

I have the same question. I am contemplating to do the fit offered by Cyclefit, but that is R 1 500.00.

Since me and my wife are both cycling everything that I do, she must as well, so everything is x2.

This is a very hightec fit. Is it worth paying that much when you can do a non/less hightec fit for half the price.

Did anybody perhaps did the fit from Cyclefit and did it improve your performance and/or pains?

1 word.... "Negotiate" - you might find this worth while....

Thanks for all the replies guys, I'm going to update my initial post with the answer: "YES!"

Had a fitting last week at Cyclefit in Northcliff. Discovered that my saddle was flexing badly and was too high and to far back. Bars to low.

Total cost R695 which included cleat setup.

Need money to buy a new saddle now. Even without it, knees and back now pain free

ErgoFit. Its worth it. for sure.

the results are saved online on their site. You can request they print it out for you. You can have all your bikes adjusted to that ErgoFit.

Its not just R800 though. You may need a different handle bar, different stem. perhaps even a different saddle and seatpost. And the extreme is a crankset with a shorter/longer arm length.

Its worth it ,but it wont fix an injury if there is already something wrong. May need to see doc to sort the injury first and then only will the correct fitment prevent further bike setup related problems.

This has all happened to me so I speak from experience.

Edited by ridin dirty

Back from the fitting.  This what was done:

• Saddle raised 12mm and leveled. 
  • 2 shims on right foot, 1 shim on left foot
  • Cleats aligned properly over pedals
  • Need new stem.  Current one is 120mm, need 100mm.

Total cost R450.  No charge for shims on 2 pairs of shoes plus will fit new stem for me when I get it.  No pressure to have to buy from him.

The equipment is fairly basic and straightforward using an IDT, laser level and an angle measuring thingy.  Not really sure what else you could possibly need.

The proof will be in the next few rides.  More feedback after the weekend.

I did a bikefit lots of times in CT.

Im not satisfied with any.. Even they didnt know how to make my saddle right. Hahaha...

But i know fitting is very important. That's why i keep trying..

Im still looking for the right position... :'(

I have mixed feelings on it. Did one of those fancy ones with videos and measurements taken and things you sit in and all sorts of stuff. Changed my stem and did loads of adjustments. It was total rubbish.

Then I went to Gary Beneke for an assessment and a training plan. He watched me on my bike set up on a trainer and made a bunch of adjustments. Much better. At the next assessment he made a few refinements. Best fit I have ever had. He did it by eye. Go figure.

I have had the computer bike setup done on both mtb and tt bike.could not feel a difference and did not see any difference on garmin connect.

then a while ago went to do fitment which left out all the computer stuff and worked around my own individual biomechanics(broken legs ankles and feet).huge difference in both the feel on the bike and the results.

the most high tech and expensive bikefits are not always taking into account the individual imho.

as for having the right fit on the bike yes definitely.to get it done correctly and at a reasonable price -hit and miss.

First ride this morning after the fitting and first ride in months with no pain in my right knee, ITB or thigh. Still a bit of "hot-foot" on my right foot. Going to add one more shim.

Can't comment yet on improved performance as we were riding flat circuits in a pretty fast bunch, so pace was high anyway.

100km ride on Saturday will be the big test!