• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not falling is the number 1 preventative measure you can take.

Not falling at high speeds should be it. So keep riding at 15km/hr and you should be fine.

how can you prevent this happening...chest/shoulder guard?

Step 1: Don't fall.

Step 2: If fall occurs, keep all limbs close to body (assume foetal position), tuck and roll. Outstretched arm (normal reaction) increases risk for break.

Step 3: Wear Camelbak or similar to absorb impact of tuck and roll manouvre.

Step 4: Keep on rolling until dust settles.....slow decrease in momentum.

Clavicle acts as trip switch to protect shoulder joint. Huge momentum and abrupt decrease in motion.....crackle, snap, pop.

Effective way to prevent clavicle fractures?

This was me a year ago...problem with this...its a lot more dangerous than flying down a single track at 50 km/hr with lots of wet exposed roots.....the medical conditions as a results of being a fat couch potato can also exceed R300 000...a little broken bone repair...R20 000.

Now just to figue out a way to support the shoulder...i read a figue of a 1000 ops...for one doc...we could safely say its a common problem.

.............Now just to figue out a way to support the shoulder...i read a figue of a 1000 ops...for one doc...we could safely say its a common problem.

There is absolutely no device at the moment and I think it is unlikely one will be invented that will be functional, safe as well as wearable on a bike. Some of the neck braces are even reported to make it more likely to break the collarbone in a crash. None of the current upper body armour can protect the collarbone. Even if it could, it would be so rigid, hot and heavy that it would only be practical for downhill, certainly not for most mtb and road riding. 

how can you prevent this happening...chest/shoulder guard?

A lifetime spent on a tumbling mat - several hours a week and added to that a 6 week course at 1 Bn in Bloem...

And a level of common sense...

Another question.

So while the plate is a good idea to speed up and ensure the healing process is 100%.

What are the risk involved if I had to crash again on the same side? This is after the bone has fully repaired itself...?

Does the bone become weaker and will the plate/screws cause the bone to break in more places?

Another question.

So while the plate is a good idea to speed up and ensure the healing process is 100%.

What are the risk involved if I had to crash again on the same side? This is after the bone has fully repaired itself...?

Does the bone become weaker and will the plate/screws cause the bone to break in more places?

A buddy fell on his plate and the bone broke at the end of the plate.

So they took the old plate out, and a put a new shiny one in. He didnt really like the exrtra grossness so once healed he took the second plate out. But then the bone broke "all by itself" a few weeks later, and he had to have it put back again.

I have heard of the plate puncturing through the skin in bad cases.

Another question.

If you fall hard enough you break anything. Even a healthy, normal clavicle. Do you get a "better than before warranty" with anything in life?

Another question.

Bones grows where there is stress in the structure. Under the plate the stress in the bone is reduced (carried by the plate) so the bone does not grow that strong. If the plate is removed the bone must gain strength again which may take as long as the initial recovery period...

A buddy fell on his plate and the bone broke at the end of the plate.

So they took the old plate out, and a put a new shiny one in. He didnt really like the exrtra grossness so once healed he took the second plate out. But then the bone broke "all by itself" a few weeks later, and he had to have it put back again.

I have heard of the plate puncturing through the skin in bad cases.

Clavicle breaking next to the plate during a fall with the plate in is what my surgeon warned me against.

Also, taking the plate (and six screws in my case) will obviously require the arm to go back into the sling as the bone is not as strong as when it could heal without a plate.

I was told I can have the plate removed after 12 months. So in the mean time it is risky stuff to ride, but that is how it is.

• 1 month later...

So how long does it take for the weird feeling and discomfort to go away?

7 weeks in and I did my first outdoor ride today, just an hour and it all felt good but just a weird feeling afterwards. No pain at all though.

No 'weird' feelings from mine, however mine was pinned. I also started working with the physio at two weeks after the op, and at six weeks post-op when the physio told me I can do start with rehab I already had full mobility, except for moving my elbow horizontally across the medial line (across the body) - apparently the plate will hinder the latter part of that movement.

Shoulder is still a bit week, and get tired on long ride (3+ hours), but otherwise nothing weird, or any discomfort.

So how long does it take for the weird feeling and discomfort to go away?

7 weeks in and I did my first outdoor ride today, just an hour and it all felt good but just a weird feeling afterwards. No pain at all though.

Still have a weird feeling 8 mts later. sometimes stronger than others.

I have broken three other bones before and the body eventually gets used to it.

Archived