Ladies–only mountain bike stage race launches in South Africa

News bot

Please point out the patronising bits of the article. I'm really struggling to see the offending words

Maybe it's just my chauvinism coming through but I can't see anything offensive

1. No girl wants to get her hand dirty (assumes that all women are not tech savvy or clean savvy with bikes, the word girls .... only the female variety under 14 should be categorized as "girls"

2. Not just heaps of carbs (assumes all women are on diet)

3. OK, the wine is awesome, although this also assumes that all ladies drink wine, whereas would rather I fear not beer.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wasn't wayne potgieter trying to put something like this on in gauteng?

I'm all for anything that grows the sport. Go for it! If you have a problem with it, don't support it - or start your own one.

I did a ski season in a resort that hosted the brotherhood ski week. it had a casual nickname that can't be repeated here, but was the only time you really saw anything but rich white people on the slopes.  - http://www.nbs.org/

1. No girl wants to get her hand dirty (assumes that all women are not tech savvy or clean savvy with bikes, the word girls .... only the female variety under 14 should be categorized as "girls"

2. Not just heaps of carbs (assumes all women are on diet)

3. OK, the wine is awesome, although this also assumes that all ladies drink wine, whereas would rather I fear not beer.

???

Ok..

maybe a bit of overreaction there since I don't know anyone who lieks to get their hands ful of oil

Generally women tend to be more nutrition conscious. that doesn't suggest that they're fat and in need of a diet

Are you suggesting I am fat?!  :eek:  :devil:

You did ask where the patronizing was in the text. :thumbup:

I like working on my bike and my hands are likely to get full of oil as a consequence, ergo I like getting my hands dirty. 

Generally ALL cyclists tend to be nutrition conscious, not just the ladies.  

Like I said, the proof will be in the pudding.  I don't begrudge anyone their success. 

It's not for me, a man, to be offended on behalf of women in cases like this.  I can however objectively look at something and say "Hmmm, is what they are implying really true or getting the message across as intended?"

I don't get offended when someone does the stereotypical "boertjie can't speak english" voice on ads.  It is insulting though and leads me to think "ok, you made my decision not to support you that much easier, PS, you should fire your marketing team".

People should differentiate between being offended and being insulted.

I don't get offended when someone does the stereotypical "boertjie can't speak english" voice on ads.  It is insulting though and leads me to think "ok, you made my decision not to support you that much easier, PS, you should fire your marketing team".

People should differentiate between being offended and being insulted.

Call me daft but no, I don't get it - is there really a difference when the end result (you boycotting them and demanding the marketing team to be fired) is exactly the same?

Call me daft but no, I don't get it - is there really a difference when the end result (you boycotting them and demanding the marketing team to be fired) is exactly the same?

Except, getting offended on behalf of someone else is just plain stupid, whereas if I were a woman I may very well have felt insulted at the insinuation that I'm a precious little petal that requires special treatment lest I go and hurt myself in a man's race.

Or if I am Afrikaans, as I am, I get to be insulted when someone insinuates that I am a stupid afrikaner who can't string a few english words together without sounding like I have a mouth full of biltong (yes, I know what I did there).

Again, I just questioned the wisdom of the pitch, not the idea itself. All the power to the organisers. 

Yes, perhaps it's mere semantics.  I am trying to distinguish between reacting on behalf of others when you have absolutely no skin in the game and cases where you are directly insulted.

But just be careful.  I said specifically that's what goes on in my head when I hear an insulting ad.  I make an individual choice as consumer.  I don't go running to social media screaming like my hair is on fire calling for people to lose their jobs or others to join me in my personal crusade.

Each person can decide for themself.  And I don't see much wrong with that.

Edited by NicoBoshoff

"Tour de Femme" sounds like a vaginal cream.

All jokes aside, the wording does enforce a very cliched and stereotypical perception of women and female cyclists.

No mention is made of the type of riding to be expected, technicality and distance, and other details pertaining to the race. It seems like the off-the-bike experience is the focus of the organisers. 

My wife and I like riding together and there are plenty of shorter "stage" races eg the 2 day Houwhoek and McGregor events and the 3 day W2W , GR 200 etc we could do together if we wanted to/had the time. So not really needed from that point of view IMO

But, hey there's a market, so why not.

Three months after buying my first bike I did something similar.  At that stage of my skills and confidence development it was exactly what I needed and I think it is a great that something similar is being planned.  

Now I am no longer a part of this event's target market.  But I am not offended by the wording at all, I just did not see myself as someone it was aimed at.  

What does frustrate me is the lack of information on the website.  The website should have been live by the time of the press release.

Personally, I am not sure that I would enjoy the company of a bunch of girls for 3 days.  I like having guys around (and they provide eye candy)... Then also some of these ladies are tough ladies.  Not sure if it is aimed at the novice rider best you mind your cycling manners around some of these girls.

:ph34r:

I also wonder what would have happened if a male hubber posted something like this?

The "Races" are getting too "easy" for me?

Are you standing on the podium after these "easy" races?