Sinus and Hay-fever

Soon to be moving back to Mpumalanga, there's one thing of the Lowveld I didn't miss, sinus and hay-fever. 

Rode Mankele this weekend and as always suffered severely from sinus and hay-fever the whole weekend - sneezing and sniffing the whole time.

Has anyone found long term medication that does not affect your health or might have side effects in the long term?

It's so bad that I'm still sneezing now as I'm sitting behind my desk back in Polokwane...

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The one I have found that works very well for me is Sinumax Allergy. No side effects or drowsiness. The active ingredient is pseudoephedrine which affects different people in different ways.

I use Flomist, you can get it from Clicks pharmacy without a script. My sinusitis is bad, in 2013 I took antibiotics about 9 times because of sinusitis. I had an operation many years ago, it doesn't make much difference. The Flomist is a cortisone based spray you use once a day. Very low doses. It is also quite cheap.

Rinsing every morning every evening with Saline and mild warm water (Buy it at Clicks) + religiously take a Texa tablet every night before I go to bed, and its well under control, no side effects, drowsiness etc,...if I leave it for a day or two for what ever reason, Im stuffed  :wacko:

This is a very interesting thread. Nice. I suffer from hay fever and severe sinusitis as well as asthma. But have been told my many a doc that they are all related. My asthma is pretty much under control except from cold morning over exertion but more so when I do a late afternoon ride. Hard or not.

Have tried flomist and it didn't work for me,all so tried the self drowning method with saline its ok for a few hours then it's back again.

Suffer from headaches far to often and lack of or no smell at all. Am definitely gonna try texa and follow this thread with interest .

The one I have found that works very well for me is Sinumax Allergy. No side effects or drowsiness. The active ingredient is pseudoephedrine which affects different people in different ways.

Long time chronic sinus sufferer due to various allergies. Pseudoephedrine makes me anxious and prone to rage. I avoid it all costs. Each to their own.

To OP - have you identified the actual allergens that cause your hayfever and then explored the possibility of evading them or undergoing de-sensitisation treatments for these? Better than pills every day if you can avoid or sidestep the problem.

I discovered I was allergic to my dogs among other things. Removed all carpets, new sheets and pillows every year etc. Dogs banished from most parts of the house etc. It was only when the dogs got old and passed on that I was suddenly sinus free for 1st time in years. So as much as I loved my Border Collies I decided not to have pets any more and much healthier for it even though I miss all the fun they brought to my life [emoji15].

Flomist and nasal irrigation.

re nasal irrigation there are a couple of different techniques, and done responsibly i am surprised how well it works. 

I take one tab texa in the morning and rinelon nasal spray only in the morning, and mine is under control . My hay fever is next level, it will take me down for 2 days!

Depending what I have in the house but either Flomist or Avamys in the morning and then a homemade saline and Bicarbonate soda rinse in the evening.

For those using Cortisone and Pseudoepedrine based products, who are entering races, make sure of the rules regarding the product's use "IN and OUT of COMPETITION". Or you may be 'doping' without being aware of it...

Nasacor spray...I have two friends who both suffered severely from hayfever and sinus problems until they started using this. They used Florist, Texa, Allergex but nothing worked.

Unfortunately you'll have to get a perscription from your doctor and it takes about 10 days to really get going but thereafter no more tablets or other sprays. The spray contains triamcinolone acetonide.

Hope this helps someone.

Celestone Soluspan injection every 2-3 months. Salt water washout on a daily basis helps as mentioned.

Over the years i tried everything under the sun. Recently "Allerway 5" has helped tremendously with keeping allergies at bay which included post nasal drip and sinusitis in recent years when compared to hectic bouts of hayfever as a youngster. Ever since i increased my water intake to at least 2 cups at night and a 750ml bottle in the mornings, a cup of coffee at breakfast and a drink with my lunch and supper and a cup of tea at night time, my total liquid intake in a day is at least 2l per day. I personally think that this increase in liquids per day has helped more than anything else ever before. In the past i would get sick at least thrice during winter and this year (touch wood), not once! At the onset of what seemingly could turn out to be a cold or flu, i would also take a "Solal natural antibiotic/antiviral" capsule which helped tremendously as well. Give this a try guys. Good luck!

Archived