Advice please - how to mount bike in back of a bakkie

brennans

Sjoe, some okes really love their mountain bikes...

But if you ask me, I'd advise finding a more private place than the back of a bakkie.

Park the wheel in the corner of the bin at the back, wheels straight and in line, back tire must touch the wheel arch or side of bin, so the bike will be diagonally positioned. Tie down from a hook near the front on the left, around seat post( use a sock or cloth to avoid damage) and then back to the hook in front on the right. Lock fork and tighten. Make sure the bike is pulled into the corner of the bin.

If that makes any sense whatsoever! Good luck

Single cab I just use tiedowns like you would on a motorbike. For my double cab I made a rack that holds the bike

get a piece of sponge or a very thick blanket to cover your tail gate.  Throw your front wheel over the tail gate and turn it 90 degrees.  The down tube wedges the wheel against the tail gate and makes it stand up straight.  no bungee cords, no scratches, no rattling, no taking off saddles, no turning bars, no downsides...

i got myself a sponge cut for like R80 and covered it with an old blanket.  Works a charm, if you ride very far or on shyte roads you can consider strapping it down so that the bike(s) don't bounce.  You can easily take 4 bikes next to each other, with 5 you need to check to make sure that the pedals are offset

Not sure what bakkie you have but with my small pick up I lay a towel over the back and put the front wheel and fork over it. Then all I do is tie the bike down using the lugs or hooks on the bak.

I use an alli bar with holdfast QR bolted onto it. Remove wheel, back your bike in and clamp. No need to tie down the rear wheel. Simple, sturdy and quick. This works for a canopy if it is high enough. Will send pics if required. Does not work with my road bike - saddle too high for the canopy.

get a piece of sponge or a very thick blanket to cover your tail gate. Throw your front wheel over the tail gate and turn it 90 degrees. The down tube wedges the wheel against the tail gate and makes it stand up straight. no bungee cords, no scratches, no rattling, no taking off saddles, no turning bars, no downsides...

i got myself a sponge cut for like R80 and covered it with an old blanket. Works a charm, if you ride very far or on shyte roads you can consider strapping it down so that the bike(s) don't bounce. You can easily take 4 bikes next to each other, with 5 you need to check to make sure that the pedals are offset

Waaaaay better explanation of what I was trying to say!

get a piece of sponge or a very thick blanket to cover your tail gate. Throw your front wheel over the tail gate and turn it 90 degrees. The down tube wedges the wheel against the tail gate and makes it stand up straight. no bungee cords, no scratches, no rattling, no taking off saddles, no turning bars, no downsides...

i got myself a sponge cut for like R80 and covered it with an old blanket. Works a charm, if you ride very far or on shyte roads you can consider strapping it down so that the bike(s) don't bounce. You can easily take 4 bikes next to each other, with 5 you need to check to make sure that the pedals are offset

This. Easiest way to stow a bike on a bakkie. No expensive racks, dodgy fasteners or anything... if you are going to leave it there just use a threaded steel cable or big chain and a closed shackle lock.

This. Easiest way to stow a bike on a bakkie. No expensive racks, dodgy fasteners or anything... if you are going to leave it there just use a threaded steel cable or big chain and a closed shackle lock.

Plus it looks effing awesome....

I use an alli bar with holdfast QR bolted onto it. Remove wheel, back your bike in and clamp. No need to tie down the rear wheel. Simple, sturdy and quick. This works for a canopy if it is high enough. Will send pics if required. Does not work with my road bike - saddle too high for the canopy.

This. You get adapters for TA's too. You also bolt the holdfast unit straight onto the tailgate.

I use the top one but installed at the back. Much easier to load.

My cross bar lies on the floor of the bakkie and is easily removable. No bolts, just lift it 0ut.

I guess it depends on what bakkie you have.I have a KingCab and I just push my bike in with the rear wheel first and lie it down flat.If my wifes bike has to go in aswell,I let it lie on top of mine with some old couch cushens between them.Just close the canopy and youre fairly safe aswell(in my neck of the woods).

Archived