Bike repair qoute

GemmerKat

Hi Guys

Just a general question regarding the repairs and the services.

Took my bike in for a repair although I believe it will only requiring some adjustments. I am still a noob to mtb.

One of my cyclist collegeaus was actually shocked about the quoted price.

Regards

Dropped the bike off today.

It is a silverback sola 4. The price quoted was +- 380 to check the issue with the gear selector and to replace the sealant in the tire if necessary. If there is something broken the costs can add up. 

Dropped the bike off today.

It is a silverback sola 4. The price quoted was +- 380 to check the issue with the gear selector and to replace the sealant in the tire if necessary. If there is something broken the costs can add up.

And if the sealant is fine the price can go down

minor service is around R450 labour.
Sealant can be R65 per wheel up to R120. This is for additional labor and sealant.
Adjusting gears; labour on its own can be R150. If the shifter is acting up, genral case is to replace. Shifters come in pairs. Only SRAM 10/ 11 speed AND Shimano 11 speed come in single units.
If they fiddle with the shifter and get it working cable and housing should definitely be replaced. R50.

So the R380 sounds good to me for possible lever repair, cable, housing and sealant.

minor service is around R450 labour.

Sealant can be R65 per wheel up to R120. This is for additional labor and sealant.

Adjusting gears; labour on its own can be R150. If the shifter is acting up, genral case is to replace. Shifters come in pairs. Only SRAM 10/ 11 speed AND Shimano 11 speed come in single units.

If they fiddle with the shifter and get it working cable and housing should definitely be replaced. R50.

So the R380 sounds good to me for possible lever repair, cable, housing and sealant.

Yep - I agree with those figures.  Of course they vary from shop to shop - but a good ballpark.

That's why you need to learn to do it yourself - that's half the fun :-)

If it is just some minor adjustments I cannot see it costing more than R100... If they only adjust your derailleurs and it costs that much I would find a new LBS :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

We charge R180 for a Quick Check service which includes a proper wash, gear setting and lube. Sealant top up extra R50. Probably what should be charged for in this case.

Any non cyclist would be shocked. Just don't tell him what tubeless tyres cost. It's the price of the beautiful game...

Does a minor service cost R460 nowadays? Wow, didn't realise that.

The R230 I spent on going on a "bike mechanic" course seems like a bargain now. Only take my bike in for brake bleeding (and if something like a hub breaks).

Hi guys. 

So I paid R365 for everything. Seems the front derailleur was bent.

Got that fixed as well as tyre sealant for the one tyre.

Also got a service and again it was a very pleasant experience at the shop.

I will most certainly go to the same place for any repairs or services.

Archived