ScottCM

To lazy to go search :devil: , on which channel and what time will it be broadcast?

EDIT: Did go search, can't find it

Lekker SABC 2.... from 6:30 or live streaming on www.sanlamcapetownmarathon.com

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All is good until Botha's where the continual (quad) hammering of the downhill sections really start , especially Botha's -> Pinetown.  It will make you pray for an uphill until you do get to the little buggers after Pinetown.  After PT even the little uphills, which normally would have been a non-event, feel really really tough, especially those encountered going into (larger) Durban area.

(For me) the race only really started after ~53km.  

Mine usually starts after the Botha's Hill downhill where you turn left at the robot into Pinetown. I think you still have 21km to go... You are buggered after the downhill and then 45th Cutting is still waiting for you...

I never breath so hard as in those first 10km. That sentinel road that zig zagged up to the Escarpment felt like an eternity. I still can't believe no one has ever fallen down that mountain in the race. I mean, your tired and your concentration isn't as sharp as it was in the beginning.

It was brutal, but the last 10kms broke me. My feet were destroyed. almost did the first half quicker than the second half

What is this taper thing you mention?  Just survived needles and jagged fingers. Tell that lady to taper! Back for more on Friday.  :ph34r:

The words there's a couple of nightmares going on in this calf - well actually both, but especially this one... does not make me imagine that Sunday will be a walk in the park. But we'll wing it! 

I remember a few years ago listening to one of coach Parry's podcasts, in which he mentioned doing gym work for the down run.

This got me thinking, to the experienced runners on here, what pearls of wisdom do you have that you are willing to share with the novices for Comrades as well as those tackling their first down run?

It hurts! Scratch that...it REALLY hurts!

Gym work for your quads definitely helps

All is good until Botha's where the continual (quad) hammering of the downhill sections really start , especially Botha's -> Pinetown. It will make you pray for an uphill until you do get to the little buggers after Pinetown. After PT even the little uphills, which normally would have been a non-event, feel really really tough, especially those encountered going into (larger) Durban area.

(For me) the race only really started after ~53km.

I literally could not even run the flat section through town!

It hurts! Scratch that...it REALLY hurts!

Gym work for your quads definitely helps

Forgot to mention that for some reason.... My first comrades was a down run. I literally couldn't walk the next day. My ex-husband had to carry me down stairs, and help me in and out of the car... it REALLY hurts. 

Forgot to mention that for some reason.... My first comrades was a down run. I literally couldn't walk the next day. My ex-husband had to carry me down stairs, and help me in and out of the car... it REALLY hurts. 

Down run bragging rights last longer as you're limping for a whole week and not just 2/3 days  :blush:

Hey guys. Any tips on making the treadmill more interesting? I have to to all my runs on it. The short or just over 10k ones are alright but the 30k lsd runs are a nightmare. It is mindnumbingly boring! Supose it is a good mental workout. But anyone got a tip or idea to beat the boredom?

Hi Pieter i use zwift for running makes it a bit beter. You will need a footpot 

Hi Pieter i use zwift for running makes it a bit beter. You will need a footpot

Cool man. I have a garmin watch, should I get a Garmin foot pod or is it a zwift thing?

Cool man. I have a garmin watch, should I get a Garmin foot pod or is it a zwift thing?

I use my old garmin footpot. you pair it with zwift and calibrate iton zwift . works nice and display your heart rate and speed.

post-12583-0-57474400-1505305323_thumb.jpg

Edited by berry

Also entered this week. Will be my first one. I don't think I totally realise what I have let my self into but are up for this challenge.

Is there any suggestion for a proper training program ?

I see there is one on the comrades site for beginners.

The goal is only to finish and since I last ran 3 months ago I will require something for a beginner to build a base.

We using the Coach Parry Bronze medal programme off the Comrades website. We have been trying to run 45-50km's per week (3x10km during the week and 21km on weekend). Definitely can feel that the fitness is increasing. From what I can see is that you must have a good base to work off for next year when the km's per week ramp up. The Discovery Vitality races have been good for hill training (especially the last one in Randburg!). Just goal now is to train smart without getting injured before the first qualifier marathon in November (Kaapse Hoop). GOOD LUCK

Edited by Gringo111

How was everyones Adrienne Hersch this weekend?

Got quite steamy early on, and those hills just crushed my spirit with ease.

Still managed a sub 2 which I was very happy with but yoh I had to work for it.

Was a toughy, especially the first half - battled to get into a rhythm. The second half was a lot more enjoyable. Finished around 1H54mins. Good hill training.

It was nice of him to still care..... :ph34r:

Johnsons Crane or Vaal marathon if you're here in Gauteng...

I beg to differ on the Vaal Marathon. Its a flat route BUT you have to work the entire way. Johnson Crane is easy and from what I heard, Kaapse Hoop is a good fast qualifier for Comrades...