ScottCM

• Replies 17.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

age old question most likely....BUT

How long do you keep you guys keep your shoes? My Brooks Revenna is now 1200km. The sole wear pattern is EXCELLENT and only minor scuffs on the upper, no collpsed support at all. Just doesn't feel right to replace yet. Not having show related niggles either.

Is 1200km to much?

Yeah, what Hacc said. Even within models it varies. I've had some Adidas Bostons last me up to 1000km before I felt a few knee niggles (the shoe was in deceptively good condition but the foam must have been going in the outsole) and a recent pair that I retired at just 700km as I could feel the knees again.

Some manufacturers, like Adidas, use exceptionally hard-wearing rubber so the tread isn't always a good indicator. By contrast, my Saucony Ride 10's signalled they were up for replacement when I noticed the forefoot tread had worn right down to the outsole after just 650km. Still, they've been great so I happily replaced them with another pair but have adjusted my expectations for their longevity.

age old question most likely....BUT

How long do you keep you guys keep your shoes? My Brooks Revenna is now 1200km. The sole wear pattern is EXCELLENT and only minor scuffs on the upper, no collpsed support at all. Just doesn't feel right to replace yet. Not having show related niggles either.

Is 1200km to much?

I’m running in Revenna’s

Really like them but doubt I will get 1200 KM

Already the forefoot on mine is wearing out.

I never get close to a 1000KM no matter which shoes I wear.

My husband retires his GT2000 at 2000km.

Haha, I remember my dad's old pair of Asics during his Comrades days in the late 90s. They must have done a few thousand as well. He would rebuild the tread with thick gum glue every few months. I gave him my semi-retired pair of Nimbus 19s when I last saw him (because I felt them to be too clunky and unresponsive) and his eyes nearly popped out of his sockets when he took them for a run. He couldn't believe how 'light and bouncy' these new shoes were.

I’m running in Revenna’s

Really like them but doubt I will get 1200 KM

Already the forefoot on mine is wearing out.

I never get close to a 1000KM no matter which shoes I wear.

Tx everyone

Mmm, me thinks me and the Mrs need to go and pay Riaan a visit then for a new pair of Revennas each. Best shoe we have ever had, except for the hole on top of the front toe...

Jou beurt is jou beurt.

Haha, I remember my dad's old pair of Asics during his Comrades days in the late 90s. They must have done a few thousand as well. He would rebuild the tread with thick gum glue every few months. I gave him my semi-retired pair of Nimbus 19s when I last saw him (because I felt them to be too clunky and unresponsive) and his eyes nearly popped out of his sockets when he took them for a run. He couldn't believe how 'light and bouncy' these new shoes were.

Yeah...Haydn does the same and it freaks me out...something called sole ???. 

Stetchy, think it might have been hahaha.

Tx everyone

Mmm, me thinks me and the Mrs need to go and pay Riaan a visit then for a new pair of Revennas each. Best shoe we have ever had, except for the hole on top of the front toe...

Jou beurt is jou beurt.

How do the Ravennas compare to the Ghost??  Have you ever tried the Ghost?  Im caught trying to decide...dont think I want another pair of Nimbus.

How do the Ravennas compare to the Ghost??  Have you ever tried the Ghost?  Im caught trying to decide...dont think I want another pair of Nimbus.

Wifey had bad luck with 2 pairs of Nimbus (blisters etc). Since she started with the Revennas she hasn't had a problem. 

I have never had an issue with shoes though, if it is a size 13 it will work :thumbup:  As long as it is Neutral and not stabilising. I don't know anything about the Ghost, so will ask Riaan when I see him at Randburg Runner.

I trust in Riaan's advice, we are both the same size and we have suffered together on a few laps at IMSA.

You can still buy shoe-goo at sportsman's warehouse, for about R100.  I follow Norries williamson's advice to put a thin layer on the outsole areas that wear fast (Forefoot).  This firstly prevents these areas from wearing out (allowing for the midsole to determine shoe life span, and not outsole) and secondly prevents wear from changing the gait of the shoe as the shoe gets older.

However, you still need to occasionally check the shoe for stiffness, flex and bounce as the midsole will get progressively more compressed after 600km.

I also find trail running shoes have a shorter lifespan (as their midsoles are softer) and they have more cushioning. 

It definitely depends on running style, I weigh next to nothing, but I will never get a 1000km out of a pair. I trash the toes of my soles in no time. A pair of NB980 lasted me 200km. I have a few Nikes in rotation at the moment, they will definitely last longer, but I doubt if any of them will see 600/700km.

Wifey had bad luck with 2 pairs of Nimbus (blisters etc). Since she started with the Revennas she hasn't had a problem. 

I have never had an issue with shoes though, if it is a size 13 it will work :thumbup:  As long as it is Neutral and not stabilising. I don't know anything about the Ghost, so will ask Riaan when I see him at Randburg Runner.

I trust in Riaan's advice, we are both the same size and we have suffered together on a few laps at IMSA.

Would appreciate the feedback, thank you. :thumbup:

It definitely depends on running style, I weigh next to nothing, but I will never get a 1000km out of a pair. I trash the toes of my soles in no time. A pair of NB980 lasted me 200km. I have a few Nikes in rotation at the moment, they will definitely last longer, but I doubt if any of them will see 600/700km.

Running is an expensive sport for you then....

Stick duct tape induce the shoe where your toe wears through it. The duct tape normally lasts about ten runs. Bit of a schlep.. But it extends the life significantly. My toes also wear through and this has made a huge difference