ScottCM

Dude... I started running august last year....i was running about 25 ks per week this time last year... Ran my first ever 21 in November... And I managed that sub 9. Most definitely time.

I am currently running only once a week due to injury... So going to be slowly building up to 70 a week by the end of the year... Get fit this year and then hit 200 to 300 km weeks in the new year and you will do it if you can manage a 3:30 to 3:40 marathon

Thanks man, that's encouraging. 300km weeks though ????

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks man, that's encouraging. 300km weeks though

I'm sure that is a typo. Even guys training for a silver will only put in between 120km and 150km per week.

I did a 8:49 this year and my biggest week was probably 130km and that was tough. March and April need to be big months.

I reckon Stretch is spot on if you're able to run a 3:30 marathon you'll have a sub-9 in the bag.

If I decide to do it again (I achieved my goal of a sub-9 and don't think I'm good enough to go sub 7:30) I'd do the following differently:

1. Continue cycling. I let my cycling slip as I didn't have the time to fit in the extra training. I should have actually run a little less and used the time to go riding. I find riding helps to ease the tightness in the legs that running creates.

2. Less junk miles. I found myself (mainly because of the all the training programs and other runners) always chasing mileage. This sometimes led to getting out on the road and just running for the sake of racking up another 10-15kms. I honestly feel these runs were not that beneficial. I'd would follow a much more structured plan, with more speed work, hill training, intervals, etc. Quality rather quantity.

3. Better stretching regime. I suck at stretching and am usually too bombed out after a marathon / ultra to actually want to stretch. I bought a foam roller which definitely helps (and hurts). I've been told physios really help but that isn't my thing.

4. Not get sick!

My last piece of advice, make sure to eat enough and NOT drink too much. It is a long day and you don't want to miss your time by 10 minutes because you bonked from not eating.

Hopefully something useful to someone. And good luck!

I'm sure that is a typo. Even guys training for a silver will only put in between 120km and 150km per week.

I did a 8:49 this year and my biggest week was probably 130km and that was tough. March and April need to be big months.

I reckon Stretch is spot on if you're able to run a 3:30 marathon you'll have a sub-9 in the bag.

If I decide to do it again (I achieved my goal of a sub-9 and don't think I'm good enough to go sub 7:30) I'd do the following differently:

1. Continue cycling. I let my cycling slip as I didn't have the time to fit in the extra training. I should have actually run a little less and used the time to go riding. I find riding helps to ease the tightness in the legs that running creates.

2. Less junk miles. I found myself (mainly because of the all the training programs and other runners) always chasing mileage. This sometimes led to getting out on the road and just running for the sake of racking up another 10-15kms. I honestly feel these runs were not that beneficial. I'd would follow a much more structured plan, with more speed work, hill training, intervals, etc. Quality rather quantity.

3. Better stretching regime. I suck at stretching and am usually too bombed out after a marathon / ultra to actually want to stretch. I bought a foam roller which definitely helps (and hurts). I've been told physios really help but that isn't my thing.

4. Not get sick!

My last piece of advice, make sure to eat enough and NOT drink too much. It is a long day and you don't want to miss your time by 10 minutes because you bonked from not eating.

Hopefully something useful to someone. And good luck!

Fair point, perhaps Stretch meant 300km-400km months. Nice points about the cycling, I'm hoping to do a few duathlons later in the year anyway so there's incentive for me to stick at it. Number 3 is where I may fall short, never been too good at stretching after a run.

Thanks man, that's encouraging. 300km weeks though

300km months...sorry....but..someone told me...the more miles you put in...the easier the day....I'll pass on that piece of advice

Edited by Stretch

yes it is a typo...300km months..from jan to May my biggest month was 307 - my smallest 250...someone told me....work on 80km a week..but it really depends on how fast you run those..i generally run as hard and as fast as I can all the time

Fair point, perhaps Stretch meant 300km-400km months. Nice points about the cycling, I'm hoping to do a few duathlons later in the year anyway so there's incentive for me to stick at it. Number 3 is where I may fall short, never been too good at stretching after a run.

clyde made some very good points. just focus on doing some squats once a week and even 2 minutes of pre and post stretch makes a huge difference. Also, work on your glutes and quads and get them stretched and strong..plenty of exercises on youtube to do once a week

This year one of my days in the week will be track intervals because it helps with speed and being on grass helps with the knees and feet.

I have also started going to yoga once a week to strengthen my core and generally stretch

I'd like to do Comrades 2016 but not sure I have the miles under my belt. I've always said that if I do it I'd like to go for a Bill Rowan (so kudos to you sub-niners!). If I'm doing 40km a week now, can I build up in time for 2016 to manage a steady sub-nine?

Go to the Ask Coach Parry podcast and listen to the advice he has there.

http://talkfeed.co.za/askcoachparry/

Also on the comrades website he has made training programes designed for the various medals.

http://www.comrades.com/marathoncentre/training

After listening to him you will realise he often suggest people start off with the finishers medal for the year to build up fitness injury free and then lets them switch over to a bronze or bill Rowan program from Jan to get the "TIME" not km's in their legs.

clyde made some very good points. just focus on doing some squats once a week and even 2 minutes of pre and post stretch makes a huge difference. Also, work on your glutes and quads and get them stretched and strong..plenty of exercises on youtube to do once a week

This year one of my days in the week will be track intervals because it helps with speed and being on grass helps with the knees and feet.

I have also started going to yoga once a week to strengthen my core and generally stretch

I'm not big on weight exercises (or body weight exercises other than press ups), I'm just really lazy about it. Are hill repeats and high intensity interval days an adequate replacement?

I'm not big on weight exercises (or body weight exercises other than press ups), I'm just really lazy about it. Are hill repeats and high intensity interval days an adequate replacement?

Im not really clued up...but hill repeats are good as they engage the glutes - if you dont like doing squats then side lying clams are also good

http://images.meredith.com/lhj/images/2012/06/ss_101913067.jpg

I'm in... will be my second. Want to run around 10:30 hours. Just started running again after 6 months off, taking it very slow, running with the wife which is nice and chilled - actually perfect for building things back up.

Want to do a marathon, maybe even set my qualifying time, by the end of the year, so I can just focus on training next year. 

I'm in... will be my second. Want to run around 10:30 hours. Just started running again after 6 months off, taking it very slow, running with the wife which is nice and chilled - actually perfect for building things back up.

Want to do a marathon, maybe even set my qualifying time, by the end of the year, so I can just focus on training next year.

Andy I also want to start running. Its pay day. Gonna buy some new takkies at Jet this afternoon and start.

Argus is much harder and I did it easy so Comrades will be a breeze

Andy I also want to start running. Its pay day. Gonna buy some new takkies at Jet this afternoon and start.

Argus is much harder and I did it easy so Comrades will be a breeze

Jet is really the best place to buy your shoes... I've heard their Home Brand is actually just re-branded Asics, but obviously at a tenth of the price! Can't go wrong  :whistling:

Jet is really the best place to buy your shoes... I've heard their Home Brand is actually just re-branded Asics, but obviously at a tenth of the price! Can't go wrong  :whistling:

pep stores bru

And if you struggle with ITB, this stretch I have found works incredibly well - been a game changer for me  :thumbup:

most important thing abut that stretch is your body must be square on (No hip rotation)..and your stretching leg must be at 90 degress and your non stretching foot straight out in front and your stretching foot also at 90 degrees. Its actually called a 90 90 stretch - i.e. everything must be perpendicular. I do it on a normal desk so that involves stretching the leg down too..my right leg can lie flat on the desk no problem...my left one is tighter than a ducks backside and really battles