ScottCM

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

**** just got real!!!

entered!

Same, Never run further than 10km in my life and now i have entered this.

Good luck to all with the training and may it be a relatively injury free season ahead till after the comrades.

In unrelated news - I did the Sizwe Motlana 21km on Sun - it started at 12:00 - hot as ballz - something you fellas will have to get use to!!!!!

Entered and I'm going for silver.

This will be my 2nd comrades. Did my 1st in 2013 and ran a 08H20. I don't think I did more than 50km running per week. Most of my training was for MTBiking.

What killed me was the downhill running. I walked the downhills.

My focus will be downhill training.

This will be my 2nd comrades. Did my 1st in 2013 and ran a 08H20. I don't think I did more than 50km running per week. Most of my training was for MTBiking.

SHOWOFF

Just kidding, that's an extremely impressive time. You are a naturally gifted runner. Good luck with the training.

SHOWOFF

Just kidding, that's an extremely impressive time. You are a naturally gifted runner. Good luck with the training.

:-D I love cycling but the sad thing is that I think I might actually be a better runner

mate of mine in cape town did a 8:20 odd in 2014 and managed a 7:24 odd this year..so its definitely doable. He did a lot of hill work...and his strava profile is already making me nervous. I used to think a silver was an unachievable goal...but..in reality with a lot of hard work it is definitely achievable

I take my hat off to anyone doing Comrades. I always watch from the road, thinking to myself, "crazy people", but not realizing what training goes in for doing a Comrades.

TRIGGER PULLED - will be my first one..

Will use my 10km work commute for most of my week training, that way it doesn't interfere with the family life.. weekends will be easy to find longer hours to fit the long runs in..

Less cycling and more running, at least the bike maintenance will be less.. ;-)

TRIGGER PULLED - will be my first one..

Will use my 10km work commute for most of my week training, that way it doesn't interfere with the family life.. weekends will be easy to find longer hours to fit the long runs in..

Less cycling and more running, at least the bike maintenance will be less.. ;-)

bike maintenance decreases...body maintenance increases...

Quite a few novices like me, i dig it!!

Maybe all the experienced runner can give us  some advice here. What races would you guys recommend to do as our qualifier?

In Gauteng i know of the Half Marathon on the 29th November in Alberton and the Johnson Crane Full Marathon at the end of January.

I also heard that one should fit in an Ultra too as a training run though to prepare the body?

which Ultras would you guys suggest?

I won’t say I am an experienced runner, but happy to share my races I usually do. I probably do more races that are required and will actually be doing less races and more long, slow runs on my own.

• Akasia Marathon (42km) – The day before Johnson Crane. Prefer this race as it has more shade from trees as it gets hot late January. Another plus is that it is not as crowded as Johnson Crane.
  • Deloitte Marathon (42km) – This is a great training race, double lapper with nice hard long climb up to Klopperkop. Would highly suggest it to a first timer. You will not be doing a PB on this race.
  • Two Oceans Ultra (56km) – A nice long ultra. Beautiful, well organised and supported. A must do. Added bonus is the extra 6km, which means you only need to 30 (odd) km’s and you are finished with Comrades. Mentally it helps. All other ultra’s are 50km only.
  • Loskop Ultra (50km) – Long easy drag for 21km, then long downhill, till you reach last 5km, which is hard climb to almost the end.

I sometimes do the Om-die-Dam Ultra (50km) and Sunrise Monster (32km – name says it all). It all depends on calendar. Two Oceans is always on Easter Weekend, so the race could be too close to Om-die-Dam or Loskop.

Don’t over train in January/February. The hard months are March/April. Listen to your body and rest when needed. Good rule of thumb is 850 – 1000km of training for Comrades from 1 January, but I know people who have done it on 600km! This is probably not advised.

Most important, enjoy the race, the training and comradeship of fellow runners. Don’t let the race or training get to your head. You will have set backs, but they make you stronger.

Good luck and see all at the start.