ScottCM

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 decent ultras in kzn are the bergville 52 and the one around wagendrift dam.... Although that's a bit close to the big c

I also heard that one should fit in an Ultra too as a training run though to prepare the body?

which Ultras would you guys suggest?

Yes and no.. All doing an ultra does is help prepare yourself mentally not physically...40 50 60km... It doesn't matter.. Its all the same.... Having the mental strength to hang in for those last 30km is what it is all about.. And you can easily prepare your head without needing to do an ultra.......... Says the novice with 1 comrades to his name.. Lol

Yes and no.. All doing an ultra does is help prepare yourself mentally not physically...40 50 60km... It doesn't matter.. Its all the same.... Having the mental strength to hang in for those last 30km is what it is all about.. And you can easily prepare your head without needing to do an ultra.......... Says the novice with 1 comrades to his name.. Lol

I am also by no means an expert, but was also told you can only train and physically prepare for about 50-60km, the rest is all in your head.

I have done quite a few ultra's so I will give a few tips (more for the beginner).

Go slow! If you think you are going too fast you are going WAY too fast. If you think you are going too slow you are probably still going too fast.

Start training early. The kinds of adaptations you body needs to make take a long time.

Train consistently. Listen to your body of course but try not to miss sessions. 

Long training runs should (IMO) be significantly longer than 2 hrs. After 2 hrs your body will start encountering the kind of stresses you will feel during the race.

Don't give up when you feel it's impossible to go on. Recognise that it's actually possible to feel better as long as you keep a easy pace.

Walk often and early, especially if your goal is just to finish

You need to eat otherwise your race is over. You won't feel like eating but it should feel like you are eating almost constantly.

I would want to be doing 80-120km weeks and aim for at least 1 or 2 50-60km long runs. These long runs should be done at least 3 weeks (and maybe 4 weeks is better) before the race.

Enjoy - the ultra bug bit me super hard (though I mostly did off road ultras), it might bite you too!

...and I thought I was taking a "big step" when I entered for my first marathon yesterday! Good luck guys... will be following your progress here. :thumbup:

Enjoy - the ultra bug bit me super hard (though I mostly did off road ultras), it might bite you too!

I see you in oz - my mate does that blue gum park trail run  (or whatever its called) near Sydney every year...some mean ascent...one point it looks like you run straight up a waterfall it so steep!

I like the "Alan Effect". I go as hard as I can for as long as I can and then I just hold on. I try and cover a much distance as I can on fresh legs and then I just mentally hang in there.

After say 5hrs everyone suffers. The difference is that I will be further up the road with less distance to complete.

P.s. Don't ever listen to me cause I'm also still running with the same minimalist running shoes I bought in 2012.

P.s. Don't ever listen to me cause I'm also still running with the same minimalist running shoes I bought in 2012.

Minimalist shoes dont need to be replaced as often as padded ones because you essentially just want them to stop the soles of your feet from being in direct contact with the road!

Minimalist shoes dont need to be replaced as often as padded ones because you essentially just want them to stop the soles of your feet from being in direct contact with the road!

Jip its just the uppers that is looking a bit worse for wear :-)

I see you in oz - my mate does that blue gum park trail run  (or whatever its called) near Sydney every year...some mean ascent...one point it looks like you run straight up a waterfall it so steep!

I think that's probably the Hounslow Classic, goes through the Blue Gum Forest in the Blue Mtns west of Sydney.

I've been out of the running world for a few years, personally I wouldn't be able to train for 2 sports (and I've now found cycling)!

After listening to Coach Parry's podcast about training for 12weeks at 75% of MAX HR I am trying to follow this. However I keep getting conflicting information. Some say MAX HR is 207-0.7(Age) other say its 220 - Age, other say its the max you can put out which in my case is 193bpm, others say its the max you can sustain for 15sec in which case mine is 188bpm.

Garmin Connect says my %HRR (Hear Rate Reserve) for 75% is 152BPM, however on looking at my runs it shows that my 75% of MAX HR is 141BPM.

Which is best to train to, % MHR or % HRR?

Thanks

Edit: Googled definition of HRR.

Edited by ScottC-M

Which is best to train to, % MHR or % HRR?

I just run......if I am feeling pap..its a bit slower....if I am feeling good its a bit faster....but on average a 5 min per k long run is about 150-155 so thats about 80 -85% of MHR. at 5:15 per k it knocks right back to avg of 140 odd

I just run......if I am feeling pap..its a bit slower....if I am feeling good its a bit faster....but on average a 5 min per k long run is about 150-155 so thats about 80 -85% of MHR. at 5:15 per k it knocks right back to avg of 140 odd

"Dr Phil Maffetone, who wrote a book called The Big Book of Endurance Training and Racing, says: 180 beats per minute minus age, unless you are a very young person (between 15 and 19) that is going to ensure that you are going to training well into your aerobic zone.

He takes it one step further: any illness or I you haven’t trained for a long period of time or if you’ve had an injury, for each one of those cases you take off five. So if you are a 30 year old male and you haven’t exercised before plus you’ve recently been ill, or you’ve tried to start exercising but you fall ill then you would be 180 -30 is 150 beats per minute minus five because you haven't exercised regularly in the past minus five because you’ve been ill.

So your maximum running heart rate that you’re allowed to go to is 140 beats per minute. That means if you get to 140 and you’re on a hill then you walk. But you keep your heart rate under 140."

According to Coach Parry, if you stick to this you will eventually be able to run at 4m per km provide you have the physiology and genetics obviously.

So my thinking is along the lines of trying to combine both , My MHR of 75% is 141BPM according to Garmin and the Dr's formula leaves me with a Max of 148BPM so I am trying to train between those two till December.

EDIT: At the moment for me to come close to 5:15 p min over 5km my HR is north of 170BPM. If i do a gentle run round 150-155 my pace is 6:00 - 6:30 m p/km

Edited by ScottC-M

I'm not a running expert, but I use the max I've obtained as my HR Max. (Excluding obvious spikes due to some sort of interference!) I don't know what the HR Reserve definition is you've got, but Jeroen told me that the definition of HR Reserve is HR Max - HR Resting. And from there use Karvonen for zones.