ScottCM

Hey guys, how's the training going? Hopefully all are still injury free. Lets shares upcoming races etc that we are doing as a means to the ultimate end, COMRADES 2016!!

So who did what races recently and how did it go?

Likewise who is planning on a race soon?

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Training going well-ish.

I'm back up to 8-10km runs with a pace of 6min/km.

Not to fast but I'm trying to get the body used to doing to distance before I focus on the pace. As a novice, I never know if that's the right way to do it, but I'm nervous to "haul ass" when I've been forced to take time off due to injury caused by pushing too hard.

General fitness is not too bad and I've entered Soweto Marathon for November, it'll be my second so I know a little of what to expect, and am nervous.

Any tips from the vets would be devoured and digested so don't be shy...

I see there is quite a few Half marathons this time of the year. Germiston last week, Irene this wkn, Rainbow (Kempton Park)on the 4th, Sportsman's Warehouse 25th October (East Gate) etc etc. Anyone doing any of these?

Edited by ScottC-M

My training is going ok. I met a running group this morning and we did a brink 7.5km run. The pace was good at 5:30m p/km and after every few km's they would walk for 100m so that the various paces could all regather before setting off.

I must say i really enjoyed running with them, Hope training is going well for all of you.

Edited by ScottC-M

• 1 month later...

Seems like there is no `one size fits all` when it comes to training principals.

I'm a big Fan of `have a purpose for every session`.

Decide before hand what you want from your specific session - ie, speed, distance, recovery, time?

Your history counts big amounts and this where I feel most programs mis the point a bit. They start from ground zero most of the time for non-runners but dont adapt for cyclist/Swimmers ect.

Those guys already has a base to work from - but the conditioning needs to be done - especially for Ultra runners.

I also find most programs fall into the `miles for the sake of miles` mentality which I don't agree with.

Do you need miles? - absolutely YES

Could you do better prep than just empty miles? - absolutely YES

Which brings me back to - know what you want from your specific session continue building. Know when you want to be at your best - peak - and dont chase race times in the early part of the year.

Easy up in your easy week so that you can go hard in your next block - dont go into power work with heavy legs - its only deconstructive.

Training going well-ish.

I'm back up to 8-10km runs with a pace of 6min/km.

Not to fast but I'm trying to get the body used to doing to distance before I focus on the pace. As a novice, I never know if that's the right way to do it, but I'm nervous to "haul ass" when I've been forced to take time off due to injury caused by pushing too hard.

General fitness is not too bad and I've entered Soweto Marathon for November, it'll be my second so I know a little of what to expect, and am nervous.

Any tips from the vets would be devoured and digested so don't be shy...

So you ready for your marathon?

Have you started tapering yet?

What's your objective for the race?

So you ready for your marathon?

Have you started tapering yet?

What's your objective for the race?

my though on tapering for marathons in lue of preparation for comrades is......easy slow thursday run and rest on Friday and saturday

How's everyones training going - I am definitely in a better position that I was this time last year....gonna keep it steady with about 40 -50 km per week till the end of the year and then start ramping it up from january

Got a half coming up on 8th Nov with a goal to do my qualie in Feb next year