ScottCM

I've had to pull the plug on my Comrades run this year... got sick on Sat at my 5yr olds birthday so missed my planned 32km on Sunday - another setback I just couldn't afford. Bummed, but also feel in a way, a little relieved. The stress of prepping has just been building and I was struggling to get in anything near decent mileage. I've done it on 500km's training before, but this was going to be way less... a wing and prayer pretty much. 

Gonna keep going with the training though, just without the distraction of the long runs - will be nice to just enjoy 21's and work on ironing out all my issues in prepping for next year - this year just wasn't mean to be. I've got an entry as well as very nice accom for two 20minutes from the start - will offer them to my running club guys first, but if they are all sorted will put it on here.

Good luck with the journey ahead guys, will be following with interest

Not looking forward to that cockerels crow on 29 June on my couch, but learnt some harsh lessons this year and I will be way more on top of things for next year!

Its probably a blessing in disguise. 

Its going to give you a chance to heal up without the pressure of needing to train.

You mentioned in previous posts having some pains when you ran if Im not mistaken?

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys anyone do racing this weekend?

I did Birchwood HM. The fact that the start and finish is at the Hotel made for the best race day toilets I have ever used. :blush:

The route was a 2 lapper with the 2nd lap having an additional block thrown in to get the correct distance and it was flat with a total of 99m of climbing. At the start I told my friend he must run his own race and not wait for me as i start of a lot slower than him. I went out very controlled and did the 1st lap of 10km in 55:38 which was bang on the money as i was aiming for a 55min lap. I then checked stock and slightly lifted me pace till the 15km mark. I then lifted it some more and once I got to the 18km mark I went pretty much flat out and caught and passed my friend in the last 2.5km's. My closing km's were my fastest of the race with a Gradient Adjusted Pace of 4:50 for km 18, 4:49  For km 19, 4:41 for km 20 and 4:31  For km 21 and closing my race off with a time of 1:52:40 officially. Making it a nice PB and my first ever sub 2.

As mentioned previously my sister was aiming for a podium and ended up won the woman's open category by more than 6 and a half min, but missing out on her PB. Guess she can't have it all, lol.

The rest of the family (9members) all did the fun run and it was the 1st time for my two boys who wore their medals the whole day with such pride it was amazing.

Had a good run this weekend at Loskop with it being my first official Ultra.

Started out very conservatively and ran with a friend up until 27km  where she was taking strain. I ran on comfortably and saw with 10 to go that a sub 04:30 was on the cards - opened it up a little an caught the sub 04:30 inside the finish shoot.

Very happy with a  04:28 on the day - a good confidence builder.

Doing the Magnolia club run next weekend as a social km builder and then its time to wind up the mind.

How did everyone else go?

Edited by Vinnydabutcher

Started out very conservatively and ran with a friend up until 27km  where she was taking strain. I ran on comfortably and saw with 10 to go that a sub 04:30 was on the cards - opened it up a little an caught the sub 04:30 inside the finish shoot.

Doing the Magnolia club run next weekend as a social km builder and then its time to wind up the mind.

loskop is 50 correct?

you got a BR at the back of your mind vinny?

I ran the Jonkers Mountain Challenge (trail run) - ended up being my first DNF as a runner. Simply not recovered enough after being in hospital with a tummy bug last week after FireRun, having started that bugger without realising I was ill. 

Next for me actually a road run - Safari Half in 2 weeks. But first, some rest - I think the body is just starting to complain too much. Time to listen...

Very Nice, that's a Great run at Loskop, BR definitely on the Cards

I did the RouteTester Sunday from PMB - Hillcrest, as I said last week it could go one of 2 ways... Either scare me to Death or give me some proper Confidence.

Well, It did BOTH

The first 60kms of that "Down" Route are no joke.

921m Elevation and only 860m of Descent meaning Point to Point its actually climbing to 60kms in Hillcrest before the proper descents start..

The named hills are tough,the un-named climbs come often and are just as Long and tough. The first 25kms are up most of the way and need to be given respect.

Was an eye opener running it without the early crowds and the first hour darkness.

We ran in the A bunch (billed as the 5min per km/silver hopefuls) and we (me and 2 Jhb mates) joined a group of 6 Durban Old Boys with a Wealth of Comrades experience and knowledge (about 30 silvers between them, all with Sub7 bests). Was Great to pick their brains all day on pacing and which sections to hold back and which ones to make some minutes..

Ended up running the 60kms @ 4.52 per km average in 4h52. Went through Drummond in 3h36 which is apparently the magic number for either a hang on silver or on a good Day closer to 7.15

Last Marathon Sunday at Slowmag, 2 x 32s next week and then the taper can start...

So far so good, lets just keep the injuries at bay and stay healthy

Edited by Ferret69

jealous Ferret

little bit worried this year as last year I did 2 marathons and 1 ultra. This year I have just done 1 marathon...but a bit more mileage. Still going for the 8:30ish mark but this calf strain has been hanging around for 2 weeks already. looks like I am not going to get an ultra in....all depends on how the week goes. Managed to get in 75 last week, but it was an annoying 75. rested today and plan to put in 50 till friday and then decide if I want to do a 30 or 40 on the weekend..all depends..holding thumbs

loskop is 50 correct?

you got a BR at the back of your mind vinny?

Hey Stretch - not at the back - very much at the front.

I was really happy about my 42km split at Loskop - 03:47 and this included a rum/walk strategy + 2 x `Taking the bears to the super bowl` stops. My qualifier at Johnsons was only 03:44. Coming through 27km i decided to run steady and managed a negative split - 02:20 over the first 25 and 02:08 over the last. So my startegy of 05:40/km with a 90 sec walk every 10km seems well within reach.

Just 10 more days of big miles ( in human terms) 95km + per week and then we start hearing the voices.

Its on now Chaps!

Hey Stretch - not at the back - very much at the front.

I was really happy about my 42km split at Loskop - 03:47 and this included a rum/walk strategy + 2 x `Taking the bears to the super bowl` stops. My qualifier at Johnsons was only 03:44. Coming through 27km i decided to run steady and managed a negative split - 02:20 over the first 25 and 02:08 over the last. So my startegy of 05:40/km with a 90 sec walk every 10km seems well within reach.

Just 10 more days of big miles ( in human terms) 95km + per week and then we start hearing the voices.

Its on now Chaps!

The captain always helps..

jealous Ferret

little bit worried this year as last year I did 2 marathons and 1 ultra. This year I have just done 1 marathon...but a bit more mileage. Still going for the 8:30ish mark but this calf strain has been hanging around for 2 weeks already. looks like I am not going to get an ultra in....all depends on how the week goes. Managed to get in 75 last week, but it was an annoying 75. rested today and plan to put in 50 till friday and then decide if I want to do a 30 or 40 on the weekend..all depends..holding thumbs

Don't think you should just rest it completely Stretch? Even if just 4/5 days.

You don't want this dragging on in to May  :blush:

Don't think you should just rest it completely Stretch? Even if just 4/5 days.

You don't want this dragging on in to May  :blush:

I already rested it 6 days.. :whistling:

Its definitely getting better..but yes..using this week as a solid test..if its still around then yes..gonna rest it properly