ScottCM

really?

my 320 last longer than that. Mate ran with his 620 this year - I think 9;50ish and still had 30% battery left the next day

Yes, 10 hours on DC Rainmaker's review as well. 

• Replies 17.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is on my bucket list to do 70.3 in 2018... So my question is which watches should I look at and compare? ( I am a Garmin fan)

Fenix 3 or 735XT.  

Yes, 10 hours on DC Rainmaker's review as well. 

Not even Garmin SA can help me with this. 

The claimed hours on a watch, is that the time with HRM enabled?   Meaning, will you get more than the claimed hours if you do not use the HRM, or is that the max hours you will get out of it with HRM and everthing else disabled that can be disabled.    My bet is the latter...

Not even Garmin SA can help me with this. 

The claimed hours on a watch, is that the time with HRM enabled?   Meaning, will you get more than the claimed hours if you do not use the HRM, or is that the max hours you will get out of it with HRM and everthing else disabled that can be disabled.    My bet is the latter...

10 hours are max hours with HRM, Bbluetooth and WIFI disabled. 

Never mind the first two tables, they ran out of water at 30km. Temperatures neared 35-40deg and they had no water for the last 25% of the race. They're full of shite, the vibe is incredible, that's why I'm so keen to do even the 21km.

I sincerely hope OM have got their **** together an this is not repeated. As a slow lumbering runner I need water and/or coke all the time. If they run out I will be in serious trouble.

First standalone marathon for me. Nervous as hell

I sincerely hope OM have got their **** together an this is not repeated. As a slow lumbering runner I need water and/or coke all the time. If they run out I will be in serious trouble.

Soweto was my first marathon, it's a great race, but very tough. I was given some advice leading up to the race that was invaluable.

Save yourself for the second half, there are a lot of tough uphills at the end and the first half is easier, making it easy to keep your pace high only to have little left in the tank (especially from around 30km onwards). It frustrated me on my first and I didn't heed the advice. It ended up biting me in the @ss in the end.

As for the liquids etc., take R200 or so with you. You'll run past a lot of little shops etc. where if need be, you can buy cokes etc. It'll also help when hitting the end, parking is quite a way from the start(although the start is in a different place this year), but you'll wanna buy beer and food once done and you won't wanna go back to the car to fetch cash.

Have fun, the people on this run are great.

Don't worry about it.. a marathon is tough I'm not gonna sugarcoat it....... But..It's all worth it when your cross the finish line... There is something special about that first marathon that your only get to experience once Edited by Stretch

Good luck IceCreamMan, in 2014 my plan was to train for OMTOM only, but I ended up doing Comrades 6 weeks later. It is my favorite race, beautiful and the support is amazing. 

Try and take an extra sachet or two at the water point before Chapman's Peak. There is usually no water at the Chappies water point, and that is when you need it most. I remember giving one of my extra (very warm) sachets to an elderly man as he was seriously struggling up Chapman's Peak. After Chapman's Peak there are lots of support and I think they increase the number of water tables.  

Another tip: leave EARLY for the start, this year the traffic was absolute chaos. We just made it in time for the start.

Edited by Hacc

Perhaps one needs less than you think, be careful for over hydration esp if you are on the road for a long time.  See e.g.

http://www.health24.com/Fitness/Sport/Running/Too-much-water-could-be-dangerous-20120721

http://www.health24.com/Diet-and-nutrition/Beverages/Tim-Noakes-on-overhydration-in-athletes-20120721

(This is not medical advice.  Please get proper information from a suitably qualified person)

For me personally, I have done many half mar without taking ANY water or Coke, even in the summer heat of Pta / Jhb, with a carefully managed approached after that for longer distances.   I also found out that (for me personally again) - the sugar in Coke contributed to my exhaustion on Ultra's.  (A pathologist comp run some tests on this two years ago at the Loskop 50km where they would test runners at the end of the run - it was very insightful and showed that I was not only tired because of the run, but also because of the SUGAR.)

All the best!

Edited by Pieter-za

Perhaps one needs less than you think, be careful for over hydration esp if you are on the road for a long time.  See e.g.

http://www.health24.com/Fitness/Sport/Running/Too-much-water-could-be-dangerous-20120721

http://www.health24.com/Diet-and-nutrition/Beverages/Tim-Noakes-on-overhydration-in-athletes-20120721

(This is not medical advice.  Please get proper information from a suitably qualified person)

For me personally, I have done many half mar without taking ANY water or Coke, even in the summer heat of Pta / Jhb, with a carefully managed approached after that for longer distances.   I also found out that (for me personally again) - the sugar in Coke contributed to my exhaustion on Ultra's.  (A pathologist comp run some tests on this two years ago at the Loskop 50km where they would test runners at the end of the run - it was very insightful and showed that I was not only tired because of the run, but also because of the SUGAR.)

All the best!

Thanks to all for the advice. Yip, over hydration is also a problem but I am a sweaty bugger let me give you an example.

this past Saturdya I went for a 4 hour cycle, diligently weighed myself (100.6 kg) before starting. Took on liquids as and when I needed to. When I got home I weighted myself again..99.3kg's. Not only had I drank when needed but stopped to buy a water as well and still lost 1.3 kilos.

I anticipate the marathon is going to take me 5 hours, I am slow lumbering runner. first half I want to do around 2:15 then jump onto the 5 hour bus as it catches me somewhere around the 25km mark. then slog to the end. I will need liquids as the heat in jhb as been harsh the last couple of days.

Edited by IceCreamMan

All the best!

I don't drink Coke/Energade/Powerade when I train or during the day. I also don't like drinking it on a race as I am sure my body is not used to it. I only drink coke (and then I dilute it with water) the last 10km of a race when I need some energy.