ScottCM

Already entered, except for the Adrienne Hersch as will be at worlds :)

Lekker man... that's the right one to skip as well, hard route that!

• Replies 17.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a heads up that the Vitality Run Series entries are now open... these all sold out way in advance last year, so get in early if you're planning on running. I really enjoyed them last year - apart from working at our Old Eds one, I should be in for most of them.

https://www.discovery.co.za/vitality/runseries

It pains me to think about races right now.

Why would you do this? What do you prove to others and to yourself? Look here is my medal, but I had to cheat to get it. 

He is so pathetic. 

I hope they investigate this and take his medal away. They can give it to Xolani who deserves it.

I hope this is not the same runner I saw while marshalling at Irene Ultra. 

A runner blatantly got out a car at about 35km (a mere 100m from where I was marshalling) and joined the run. I think he ran part of the run, got in a car and then got dropped off later. Did not get his number so cannot tell who he was but at the time I was shocked to see something like that happen.

Nope, this guy has flown all the way in from India to cheat himself a medal, now more meaningless and hollow than a Jacob Zuma budget speech.

I hope this is not the same runner I saw while marshalling at Irene Ultra. 

A runner blatantly got out a car at about 35km (a mere 100m from where I was marshalling) and joined the run. I think he ran part of the run, got in a car and then got dropped off later. Did not get his number so cannot tell who he was but at the time I was shocked to see something like that happen.

So I have a friend or two that have posted a few things about the rubbish left after comrades and how bad it actually is. It is disgusting actually.

What are your thoughts on the #Icarrymyown campaign, basically have tanks with taps at water stations and you carry a cup or bottle to refill along the way, not litter, no plastic waste.

Carry a cup like this:

https://www.salomon.com/int/product/soft-cup-speed-150ml-5oz.html?article=393899

I know KZN Trail running is moving to no plastic cups and no bags of water how long till the big races follow?

Sorry for the hijack, but Stretch, you ever seriously considered TRi's?

Isn't this one in your valley?

Maybe something for next year....... :whistling:

attachicon.gifCork.jpg

Did see this advertised...I battle to swim at the best of times... And to swim in this frigid water doesn't appeal to me in the slightest!.... That said..I might consider a half Ironman at some point in my life

So I have a friend or two that have posted a few things about the rubbish left after comrades and how bad it actually is. It is disgusting actually.

What are your thoughts on the #Icarrymyown campaign, basically have tanks with taps at water stations and you carry a cup or bottle to refill along the way, not litter, no plastic waste.

Carry a cup like this:

https://www.salomon.com/int/product/soft-cup-speed-150ml-5oz.html?article=393899

I know KZN Trail running is moving to no plastic cups and no bags of water how long till the big races follow?

I know comrades is quite particular about tables cleaning up and there are fines in place. So perhaps he noticed before the clean up operation had happened.

If personally very my empty sachet with me till the next table.. And educate people if I see them throwing them away between tables.

As for carry your own.... Nope..I would never manage that in a comrades. Every table I take 3 or 4 sachets...2 get poured over me and one gets drunk. That would mean I would need to full an energade bottle every second table. This would equate to at least 15 minutes over the course of the run.

Carry a cup like this:

One problem I often see at races is the bins being placed within 100m of the water table. Nobody finishes their sachet within that space of time. Having a few more bins 500m and 1km after a water table would be a big help. I have my license sewn to make a pocket on the front of my shirt, which makes it easy to stash empty sachets there until the next water point. Although I occasionally forget to empty it until its so fill I look pregnant.

I also wanted to post regarding this again this morning.   It is shocking how everybody just throws their plastic sachets around!

I know comrades is quite particular about tables cleaning up and there are fines in place. So perhaps he noticed before the clean up operation had happened.

If personally very my empty sachet with me till the next table.. And educate people if I see them throwing them away between tables.

As for carry your own.... Nope..I would never manage that in a comrades. Every table I take 3 or 4 sachets...2 get poured over me and one gets drunk. That would mean I would need to full an energade bottle every second table. This would equate to at least 15 minutes over the course of the run.

Do you not think head under a tap and fill 1 cup would be as quick? or a happy medium?

One problem I often see at races is the bins being placed within 100m of the water table. Nobody finishes their sachet within that space of time. Having a few more bins 500m and 1km after a water table would be a big help. I have my license sewn to make a pocket on the front of my shirt, which makes it easy to stash empty sachets there until the next water point. Although I occasionally forget to empty it until its so fill I look pregnant.

Ya bins work when people use them, but inevitably even if you had a bin every 5 meters someone would miss.

One of the posts showed bales or waste at a landfill and multiple skips of rubbish waiting to be collected, it is just such a waste for nothing. It could be an epic sales pitch comrades raises money and has a 10000l jojo tank every few kms at water points and after the event the tanks go to schools or hospitals. Far better thn skips full of empty bags and cardboard boxes post race.

Cycle races we are happy to refill bottles what is different with a run?

Same goes for rugby matches, plastic cups when you could take your own 500ml tankard and get refills rather. Maybe I am being an optimist, then again I buy milk from a place where you take your own Bottle and it costs a lot less...

Do you not think head under a tap and fill 1 cup would be as quick? or a happy medium?

Ya bins work when people use them, but inevitably even if you had a bin every 5 meters someone would miss.

One of the posts showed bales or waste at a landfill and multiple skips of rubbish waiting to be collected, it is just such a waste for nothing. It could be an epic sales pitch comrades raises money and has a 10000l jojo tank every few kms at water points and after the event the tanks go to schools or hospitals. Far better thn skips full of empty bags and cardboard boxes post race.

Cycle races we are happy to refill bottles what is different with a run?

Same goes for rugby matches, plastic cups when you could take your own 500ml tankard and get refills rather. Maybe I am being an optimist, then again I buy milk from a place where you take your own Bottle and it costs a lot less...

Its not only about colling the head..you also need to cool the core - that is where those sachets work as you can spray them directly into your groin area as well - but yes - I do get what you are saying - theew needs to be some better mechanism than those water sachets

I see Reegan made the news, oeps....   Surely something explainable?

? Reegan?

Reegan Alward.

She is on the hub strava group. I ran with her for a while on Sunday.

What a nice girl. She has given her side of the story on Facebook.

I had almost the exact same thing happen to me. I gave away my wally Hayward marathon entry for free to someone that I have never met before in my life.

He didnt complete the subtition process as I was getting race results and notifications from Jetline action photos.

He almost ran a better seeding time than I had in which case I would have informed the comrades association.

Luckily I'm just a nobody unlike Reegan who is hard to miss

? Reegan?