ScottCM

My first comrades and if I had to describe it in one word it would be..... BRUTAL.

Got thrown a curve ball the Saturday night when I realised I bought the wrong charger with and couldn't charge my Garmin which was completely flat. Ended up using a chuck norris GPS(analogue watch) just so I could know what time of day it was and make it before 17h30.

Started off hoping for a sub 11 but when a sub 11h30 bus came steaming past me early on I was doubting it. Heard a lot of people saying it was going way to fast and it was more like sub 11 so still had some hope then, but as the day went on I realised it wasn't going to happen and settled for a finish. Came in with a 11h39.

I knew it was going to be tough but don't think I realised just how tough it really was. It was a real eye opener and a humbling experience. Those last 25km I just had to grit my teeth and run(and a lot of walking) through the pain.

It being my first I can't compare the finish venues but I enjoyed running through the tunnel into the stadium and bright lights with quite a big crowd in the stands. Even managed to get on tv crossing the finish line. They could have made it easier to get to our allocated seats in the stands instead of making us walk another few km's (that's what it felt like).

Overall I enjoyed the whole experience, the crowd support was unbelievable and definitely helped.

Im not a comrades novice anymore!

4a9541ef5388a162faacb74f646c36d5.jpg

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Well done Jose, good to catch you briefly at the expo  :thumbup:

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There was, something like 200 + runners from Benoni Northerns

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Yip, it's a pretty big club!

11:11 at the end of the day, 3 minutes quicker than my up from last year, cup of soups never tasted so good - also still in disbelief I've actually made it through this crazy week.

What a day out, my battles beforehand almost made the day seem a little easier, things ended as well I could possibly of dreamed, my wife completing a 'perfect day' waltzing in around 11:45... that smile with her back to back is priceless.

Somehow I'm already thinking about next year... lots of lessons learnt this year to take forward

Well done! And I bet you will probably look back at this one with a lot of fondness. Thanks for the awesome write up. 

So Andrew, next year you only planning on doing 300km of training and smashing a BR?

Hahaha... funny guy. It unfortunately doesn't work like that. I would not have finished the up run in my current condition...

BR one day hopefully, but need to get a whole heap more serious about my running first. What the real runners on here do is no joke, have huge respect for them.

I am completely in shock that Ann won. She was definitely the dark horse. What a wonderful surprise. The focus was so much on Camille, Gerda and Charne. I am happy for Gerda, she worked so hard.

I have so much respect for these top runners. Ann's avg was 4:06min/km... (and she was running negative splits) My mind just cannot comprehend this pace for that route.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I am completely in shock that Ann won. She was definitely the dark horse. What a wonderful surprise. The focus was so much on Camille, Gerda and Charne. I am happy for Gerda, she worked so hard.

I have so much respect for these top runners. Ann's avg was 4:06min/km... (and she was running negative splits) My mind just cannot comprehend this pace for that route.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Excatley the amount focus to overcome the pain after Fields and then to up the pace for the final stretch when you have almost nothing left in the tank. The burn must be something else

While the Comrades hype is still in the air... Which option are you leaning towards at the moment:

1. I am never ever putting myself thru that pain again

2. I am going to train very hard for next year it is going to be so much easier, even if it is an up run.

Excatley the amount focus to overcome the pain after Fields and then to up the pace for the final stretch when you have almost nothing left in the tank. The burn must be something else

Still, this guy gets the award for the strongest kick at the end of an ultra. 3rd fastest and 19th fastest person through Mayville and the finish. Hmmm…

post-63043-0-22740900-1528884518.png