ScottCM

I need some advice from those who have recovered from an injury and started running afterwards again:

I had an arthroscopy, some kneecap work done and some work to a strange ligament which apparently few people have (it was just cut through). Now this plagued me for almost 6 months before going for the op, so I haven't been running at all during this time. Before that I was doing 60 - 70km a week, so I'm not a complete novice. This is however my first ever big comeback from an injury like this, so my question is when I get the go ahead from the Doc, how should I best approach this? Start walking for a while, then run/walk for a while, etc?

Coming back from injury I have always dropped my km’s way down and started off with a run walk philosphy. As others have said no running through pain and once your form starts suffering also stop running. Also don’t expect your first few runs to be pain free.

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I spend 10 min/day doing strength exercises. All I do is single leg bridges for the hips/glutes and hamstrings, and some 1 min plank sets. Most of my injuries and niggles disappeared since doing this.

I also finish my runs with some walking lunges. Its great for stretching out the legs, with the strength benefit as well.

Thanks for the reply, some sound advice there.  Do you bother with core strength at all?

Thanks for the reply, some sound advice there. Do you bother with core strength at all?

I try to, but not enough.

When I started running again after my stress fracture my bio told me not to complicate things. Just start very slowly with a run walk combination and increase pace and distance as you feel comfortable. But never run trough pain.

How long did you take off for your stress fracture?

How long did you take off for your stress fracture?

It was a tibial sf, my gp told me horror stories and advised me to never run again. Fortunately my physio was less conservative. Whenever I feel hotspots on my shins I still freak out.

Edited by Mudsimus

Is there any specific brand/type of pepper spray you carry when running? Its already pitch dark when I run in the mornings,and I run alone. Im more weary of dogs than anything else, but rather safe than sorry.

Is there any specific brand/type of pepper spray you carry when running? Its already pitch dark when I run in the mornings,and I run alone. Im more weary of dogs than anything else, but rather safe than sorry.

I bought my girlfriend one which sprays in a concentrated stream rather than a mist. Better to aim at an attacker and means you don't get caught in the mist too.

Will check the exact brand and model this evening.

I bought my girlfriend one which sprays in a concentrated stream rather than a mist. Better to aim at an attacker and means you don't get caught in the mist too.

Will check the exact brand and model this evening.

I saw a pepper gel this morning. It literally sticks to your skin. I would actually feel bad using something like that. Especially on an animal.

I saw a pepper gel this morning. It literally sticks to your skin. I would actually feel bad using something like that. Especially on an animal.

Ya I wouldnt use pepper spray on a dog.

On the extremely rare occasion where a dog has chased me (on the bike generally) I find that often stopping and confronting it and then walking away slowly is fine.

There was one time cycling up hekpoort where two bull terriers started chasing me....thanks to the guys in the bakkie (whoever you are/were) who saw it and put their car inbetween me and the dogs so that I could get away, but I digress...

Thanks for the reply, some sound advice there. Do you bother with core strength at all?

From me, the training program I'm following includes core and resistance training as well. I'd say my core is pretty strong, from a 9 month fitness challenge I did, and from core workouts at gym (when I had a gym contract), but I don't like to skip core training.

RAM... And buy from somewhere that has new stock. Those canisters loose pressure over time.