Motorcycles + Two-strokes + IOMTT talk

nathrix

Might be his confidence but he reckoned he was beating Cal when their paths split..........

Yeah look, beating Cal isn't what I would call the SuperStar yard stick ????

I think you could compare Guy to a brilliant ER Surgeon, and somebody like Rossi/Lorenzo to the brilliant Cardiologist..... well according to my wife's shows at least ;)

Edited by Patchelicious

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sidecar action at IOMTT, scary at another level

Edited by nathrix ® ©™

I know zip about the IOM TT apart from seeing a bit of the footage, and watching Guy Martin TV show Speed.

I am seriously surprised that this event can exist in this day and age. 3 fatalities so far and 32 in the last 10 years. Seems crazy. 

I know zip about the IOM TT apart from seeing a bit of the footage, and watching Guy Martin TV show Speed.

I am seriously surprised that this event can exist in this day and age. 3 fatalities so far and 32 in the last 10 years. Seems crazy.

I think this years high count is due to lack of track time and track condition.

Read an interview with Hutchy where he has said that the grip is just not there and he has been taking it easy actually. Less experienced guys might not be doing that or might see the top guys slower than usual and think its a chance for a good result.

As for fatalities, MotoGP hasnt had a good last 5 years either, its racing. Nobody is forcing them to race so I say, let them race.

Don't get me wrong - I think people should be allowed to takes risks. but wow seems like a pretty big one to me. 

As I said I know nothing. Do they allow 'amateurs' in the IOM TT or are they all fully professional? Some of the riders looked bit older than I would have imagined.

Don't get me wrong - I think people should be allowed to takes risks. but wow seems like a pretty big one to me.

As I said I know nothing. Do they allow 'amateurs' in the IOM TT or are they all fully professional? Some of the riders looked bit older than I would have imagined.

If you qualify you can go. They then have separate categories, gold, silver, bronze depending on your times. Well that was the case when I was interested at least.

Plus the IOM TT is a different type of racing to closed circuit racing. Due to the limited space your position on the bike is different. You will notice that no one leans off the bike as that can take up an extra metre and a half of road space requirement with sweeping through a section that has both a left and right in it. Riders stay over the bike more to allow the bike the straightest path through the sections. It's accepted that it takes at least 3 years of participation at the IOM TT to properly memorize the circuit and pick your braking spots and ideal speed through the various sections, with an incremental increase in pace working up to your limit. The older guys will have the experience to stick to this plan way better than the younger hotheads, which is why you will see them up front over time!

With over 200 corners and so many ways and lines of taking each of those corners, there are so many different circumstances to take account of and some of it dynamic changes e.g. the slope, bumps, wet hidden patches under the trees, leaves, dust, cross winds, road furniture (walls, edges, fencing, stones), the odd rabbit/bird/cat, etc. you need to be a bit of genius in a unique kind of way.

Some of these pics defy understanding!

attachicon.gif7564824826_5c1c535523_b.jpg

attachicon.gifhqdefault.jpg

attachicon.gifimages02.jpg

attachicon.gif12383-art.jpg

attachicon.gifimagesTEFEP4NL.jpg

attachicon.gifjohn-mcguinness-race-2.jpg

Clearly this chap hasn't done his 3 years of training yet....

attachicon.gifIMG_6381.jpg

A lot of those make the rider look a lot closer to the walls than he actually is, I mean really; in some of the photographs the rider's at least 6mm away from the rock hard, dry stone, abrasive, uneven, career ending, life-threatening wall...

A lot of the guys doing the road/TT circuits race the Macau GP too, that is a sunning track too.

There are a few road races that's awesome to watch:

MACAU GP

ULSTER GP

NORTH WEST 200

SOUTHERN 100