Motorcycles + Two-strokes + IOMTT talk

nathrix

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I read in one of my "classic motorcycles mechanics" magazines regarding a Yamaha TZR250 3XV race restore Project:

"As the powervalve shaft turns it raises the guilotine powervalve which controls the main exhaustport and it also turns two cylindrical powervalves which open the boost ports. All the powervalves operate progressively. The design is very good with no real worries of powervalve failure as on the more well-known and well documented dismally designed Aprilia RS250/RGV powervalves."

Here's a nice illistration from youtube how two-stroke engines work:

Oh those ports are all wrong. Bring me a rotary file and some sandpaper :-)

I had a Suzuki RG500 in 1985/6. Being a massive Barry Sheene fan in the late seventies I just had to have one when they came out.

3000 - 6000RPM some power then at 6500 all of the power! After 8500 nothing.

Four expansion chambers, two exiting through the tailpiece. Alloy frame, square four with twin cranks and disc valves. Cassette gearbox.

Three minute warm up: start:- one cylinder, second cylinder, third and fourth come alive then click into first and carefully ride away. Give it about ten minutes normal riding then the looney power becomes addictive.

A definite license remover.

I'll dig out a photo.

This thread has made me want a two-stroke again. I'm not sure if that's good or bad...

If any of you smart IT guys know how to reduce the size of a .mpg video, I have a lovely vid of my 350YPVS warming up with a set of unbaffled Microns......

And we'd all be standing next to Elvis, Santa and the Tooth Fairy....

Don't be like that, if we can't dream it aint worth living

If you look on You Tube there is a vid of Kork Ballington, now in Aus, with his WC winning bike, starting it and riding it in his street. Music...

If you look on You Tube there is a vid of Kork Ballington, now in Aus, with his WC winning bike, starting it and riding it in his street. Music...

Krazy Korkie

That man is a legend!!

Post da link

Who else were at the Bikes1000 in July ? May sound odd , but I am lusting after that White custom Yamaha 350? ? Magic frame/suspension , expansion boxes , Brembos , cute bake fluid reservoir ,........and don't forget the Kurk Proppies on the exhausts. For me it was the Best on Show this year as well as last year .The Yellow one next to it was certainly not shabby.

Edited by Tromp