Bicycle Insurance - Help

Jackson123

It's a listed requirement in the agreement.

12mm chain.

SABS approved lock.

Just a question.  So my bike has to be locked inside a already locked garage?

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a heads-up to all the guys that race in the Vets categories or elite but is not part of a professional team.

Except if you are with a Cycle specific insurer/ underwriter like Cycle sure, there is a clause in your policy wording that excludes the bicycle for professional use.

If you compete in a race for price money- even though you are not a professional- this is professional use. Just confirm this in writing with your insurer/ broker. Rather be safe than sorry.

I had a poor experience with Cyclesure after a bike was stolen from my garage.

After days of back and forth questioning:

Was it chained - Yes.

Was it the prescribed 12mm chain - Yes (and by the way, try finding 12mm chain in the first place).

Was the chain locked - Yes.

Was it the prescribed SABS lock - Yes.

Did a detective come to visit - Yes, here's his report. (which showed the footprints going up the wall where the thief gained access, and the footprints outside the garage side door)

Was the side door damaged - No.

Ah ha! No sign of forced entry, not paying out...

That final decision was taken by the underwriters (Hollard), but Cyclesure certainly didn't fight my cause.

That sucks...  Unfortunately the policy conditions on the Cyclesure policy require theft from your home to be subject to forcible/violent entry.  It is out of sync with most other insurers, so as a broker, I highlight it to my clients at quoting and inception stages. 

But it's so easy to fall foul of that requirement.  I know I leave the back door of my garage open all the time when I'm home...  Or all it takes is someone gets a duplicate door key from somewhere and then you're screwed...

But bottom line... read your documents and make sure you know the conditions of the policy.

That sucks...  Unfortunately the policy conditions on the Cyclesure policy require theft from your home to be subject to forcible/violent entry.  It is out of sync with most other insurers, so as a broker, I highlight it to my clients at quoting and inception stages. 

But it's so easy to fall foul of that requirement.  I know I leave the back door of my garage open all the time when I'm home...  Or all it takes is someone gets a duplicate door key from somewhere and then you're screwed...

But bottom line... read your documents and make sure you know the conditions of the policy.

what if the bike was removed forcefully ? Broken lock or chain? although the door was left open?

Quite right

My undoing (not for the first time) was my honesty, I was well aware of the conditions of my policy. What happened was:

I'd just finished an MTB ride, arrived home, it was around 14:00, unloaded the bike, hung it up on its hooks and snapped the chain lock shut.

My wife had been waiting for me to come home, she was taking my daughter shopping and my baby boy was fast asleep.

She left, I went to give my son a cuddle in his room. I heard the garage side door open, and I thought my wife had popped back to fetch something she'd forgotten, then I heard it close. OK, she's got whatever it was and is on her way.

I had a road ride planned the next morning.

Went down to the garage, and instead of a road bike and an mtb, there is just a road bike...

I went for my ride in a bleak state of mind.

Prophetically enough my riding partner, when I told him, said to me "You should go home and bash the door in, just to make sure you get paid out"

That's just not in me, I kept to the truth in my Police Statement and in all my correspondence with Cyclesure.

I had a poor experience with Cyclesure after a bike was stolen from my garage.

After days of back and forth questioning:

Was it chained - Yes.

Was it the prescribed 12mm chain - Yes (and by the way, try finding 12mm chain in the first place).

Was the chain locked - Yes.

Was it the prescribed SABS lock - Yes.

Did a detective come to visit - Yes, here's his report. (which showed the footprints going up the wall where the thief gained access, and the footprints outside the garage side door)

Was the side door damaged - No.

Ah ha! No sign of forced entry, not paying out...

That final decision was taken by the underwriters (Hollard), but Cyclesure certainly didn't fight my cause.

There must have been signs the chain/lock were forced off, was the bike chained to something, what did they say about that?

They are convinced they can rebend AL like this without heat treatment etc etc.

Apparently Ian from Procycles took it to his friend at SAA and his friend said "easy, we do it all the time"  :eek:

...and we all know how well SAA is doing right now...I will try avoid our national carrier in future ;)

what if the bike was removed forcefully ? Broken lock or chain? although the door was left open?

From the wording under the heading 'What is not covered' it says (amongst others):

Theft

- theft of bicycles or any parts, unless they are:

- locked away in a building; or

- security locked to an immovable object, vehicle or trailer by an approved lock and cable, or chain; or

- locked inside a vehicle or trailer, and there are clear signs of forced entry

- theft from any building where you are residing, unless there are clear signs of forced entry

So, as I read it, if you are anywhere other than where you are residing, locking it up is fine, but when at home it is subject to forced entry. 

Quite right

My undoing (not for the first time) was my honesty, I was well aware of the conditions of my policy. What happened was:

I'd just finished an MTB ride, arrived home, it was around 14:00, unloaded the bike, hung it up on its hooks and snapped the chain lock shut.

My wife had been waiting for me to come home, she was taking my daughter shopping and my baby boy was fast asleep.

She left, I went to give my son a cuddle in his room. I heard the garage side door open, and I thought my wife had popped back to fetch something she'd forgotten, then I heard it close. OK, she's got whatever it was and is on her way.

I had a road ride planned the next morning.

Went down to the garage, and instead of a road bike and an mtb, there is just a road bike...

I went for my ride in a bleak state of mind.

Prophetically enough my riding partner, when I told him, said to me "You should go home and bash the door in, just to make sure you get paid out"

That's just not in me, I kept to the truth in my Police Statement and in all my correspondence with Cyclesure.

:thumbup: Good on you...

Sorry it was a seriously k@k outcome though.  It's a set of circumstances that could happen to anyone one of us...

Too bad your wife wasn't the one who left the garage door unlocked... that way she wouldn't have been able to give you 'that' look when you arrived home with your replacement mtb!   :whistling:  :P

There is NO way I can accept that. Clearly they understand nothing about engineering. It is not as if I use this bike for rides to the shops on Sundays only.

Do anyone actually know anything about Procycles?

(wait let me go start a thread)

Seems someone at procycles and miway is good friends, my mavic cosmic carbone back wheel is damaged, I got quotes for a replacement from cwc and another shop on miway request. then yesterday got a call to say procycles gave them a lower quote to fix my wheel without even seeing it. both other shops said the I need a new wheel

Just a heads-up to all the guys that race in the Vets categories or elite but is not part of a professional team.

Except if you are with a Cycle specific insurer/ underwriter like Cycle sure, there is a clause in your policy wording that excludes the bicycle for professional use.

If you compete in a race for price money- even though you are not a professional- this is professional use. Just confirm this in writing with your insurer/ broker. Rather be safe than sorry.

Or the accident happens on your warm up on the way there or on the warm down after. Like all those pesky car accidents those Porche's have pulling out of Killarney and get hit by what looks like an armco. :P 

Seems someone at procycles and miway is good friends, my mavic cosmic carbone back wheel is damaged, I got quotes for a replacement from cwc and another shop on miway request. then yesterday got a call to say procycles gave them a lower quote to fix my wheel without even seeing it. both other shops said the I need a new wheel

I think it is a case of Procycles going "we will save you guys (miway) money if you use us and we will get the job done doesnt matter the outcome"

I asked miway to get a second opinion - they ignored me point blank - the lady was actually starting to get rude over the phone.

Had a chat with miway procycles gave them a quote now to send my wheel to velosport in Paarl for repair, doesn't make sense at all

:thumbup: Good on you...

Sorry it was a seriously k@k outcome though.  It's a set of circumstances that could happen to anyone one of us...

Too bad your wife wasn't the one who left the garage door unlocked... that way she wouldn't have been able to give you 'that' look when you arrived home with your replacement mtb!   :whistling:  :P

Shhh. I convinced her that she had left it unlocked...

How K@k an outcome?

It was an 8 month old Flash 1 29er.

I had to sell my road bike, a Colnago CLX 1 with Sram red and Fulcrum Racing 1's, to replace the MTB.

Had a chat with miway procycles gave them a quote now to send my wheel to velosport in Paarl for repair, doesn't make sense at all

Send it using the post office, by the time it arrives it will beyond repair.

Archived