The LBS Said so....

Cois

Lets take a piss at the LBS...

Went to a cycle shop looking for brake disk cleaner.  Found non and the sales person asked a workshop guy what I can use....

The reply.... DIESEL or paraffin...

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

petrol works, not sure about the diesel though. If you have contaminated brake pads, soak them in petrol for 24hrs, leave in sun to dry for 24hrs and bobs your uncle.

LBS that got the squeak out of my back brake, said not to use anything but brake disk cleaner. Also they cleaned my brake disks and decontaminated the pad for free and on the spot. 

Dankie Andre

CWC

I was told that putting a 50mm stem on my bike was a completely stupid idea and that only DH bikes use 50mm stems. This wasn't that long ago. I'm now using a 40mm stem and its great.

I was told that putting a 50mm stem on my bike was a completely stupid idea and that only DH bikes use 50mm stems. This wasn't that long ago. I'm now using a 40mm stem and its great.

Huh....is that what your LBS said

Carb cleaner will likely work I prefer using Disk brake cleaner ( you can buy in auto stores as well). I have used rubbing alcohol doesn't work as good as the spray. Either way try staying away from stuff with additives since your trying to remove everything that can contaminate. 

the diesel and parifien can be used to clean your chain and sprokets, not the pads...

on the brake pads, spary with carb cleaner, you could also "bake"them in the oven on 180 for about 20min, did this in the past and it worked, sort of...

ended up just buying new pads

Bwhahaha,

i had a LBS tell me that he wouldnt sell me a 203mm rotor because he was not a motorcycle store.

clean rotors with meths

if your pads have ordinary oil on you can try burn them clean with meths and a match (be careful of your eyebrows and shirt sleeves) sometimes its works

if the pads are contaminated with mineral oil from a brake bleed ... :eek: ......

Why didn't you take them out first because you now can just chuck them away and get new ones :whistling:

Archived