The LBS Said so....

Cois

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Went to a very well known Bike shop in Greenside, asked about 26inch tubeless tyres. Was shown Schwable somethin-or-others, was quoted R750 a tyre (3 years ago, for 26inch tyres)

I then declined those tyres at those prices, asked about something less expensive...was told, "we only cater for the more serious riders"

Have not spent a cent of my not-so-serious money at that shop since, they are by far the most convenient shop for me, but at this stage I have been getting great service from my LBS which is about 20km away from said shop in Greenside. I can even arrange after hours collection/delivery of goods...

Hahaha....I would have slapped the guy :ph34r:

My LBS told me they don't need a torque wrench and that they can "feel" 6NM and 10Nm, dragged my bike and dropped jaw out and found a new LBS.

You'll be surprised how accurate experienced guys can be. My experience might be out of context but a diesel mechanic proved it to me. He works on trucks so obviously a much larger scale but would assemble according to feel only to 'check' a few bolts with a torque wrench after. He was pretty accurate.

It boils down to the right tools for the job. With a small allen key you probably couldn't tighten bolts in your brake rotor much pass the 6nm mark using only your hand. If you use a bigger tool with more leverage than you require then possibly over tightening it becomes an issue. 

A while ago I had a post asking for advice, in short I wanted to know if a taprred steerer fork will fit onto a straight steerer headtube.

Advice was given and I need to source a part.

Went to the following bike shops to find out about the part, basically I tried to source the part from a shop who might have stock.

West Rand Cycles...knew about the part but did not have stock.

Cajees - Horison...Never know that the part exist but will find out and let me know...3 weeks still no phone call.

Cajees - Retail Crossing...knew about the part but did not have stock.

Westdene Cycles...Facial expression of the guy told me that he really did not know what I'm looking for...reply "We had stock but it is sold out do not know when we will get stock again"

Cycle Lab...Spoke to the person booking the bikes for services etc. did not know...went to ask a mech... "Reply there is no such part or conversion"... I confronted the guy about what he just said with a reply that it can be done with the part....Reply "the mech has been working on bikes for the past 10 years and he said it can not be done, but I'm welcome to chat to him"....Just said it is fine and left.

Eagle Canyon Cycles...Did not know about the part.

Solomons Woodmead...Basically a small detour home...knew about the part but did not have stock.

Would be an interesting exercise to have asked more bikeshops the same question to test the level of "REAL" knowledge about bikes....

It comes down to the lower headset assembly. Someone experienced needs to look at the frame itself and establish if a new conversion headset with the external bearing can work for the frame in question. Once thats done its pretty much just getting the right headset.

In my experience when approaching bike shops with scenarios they are not accustomed to. Many shy away from the challenge. Either dismissing something they're never heard of as impossible or brushing your problem off with the old 'no stock' routine. If a bike shop really wanted to help. They could just order the part for you. If they really knew what they were doing. They would know exactly which part to order too.

Anyways a friend of mine recently simply swopped a tapered steerer for a straight one with the help of his engineering buddies. He said it was a cheaper and easier option for him. I'm sure I have pics of the process somewhere. If I find it, I'll post it. He's been riding that bike and fork like that now for a couple months. No issues

"Someone from the UCI rode your bike around the block and they agree there is nothing wrong with it"

I took the bike to another LBS they figured out and replaced the bent derailleur causing the shifting problem.

Went to a very well known Bike shop in Greenside, asked about 26inch tubeless tyres. Was shown Schwable somethin-or-others, was quoted R750 a tyre (3 years ago, for 26inch tyres)

I then declined those tyres at those prices, asked about something less expensive...was told, "we only cater for the more serious riders"

Have not spent a cent of my not-so-serious money at that shop since, they are by far the most convenient shop for me, but at this stage I have been getting great service from my LBS which is about 20km away from said shop in Greenside. I can even arrange after hours collection/delivery of goods...

You went  about it all wrong.

You should have submitted a Tax Invoice for R10,000 with VAT ie kakie number for the 10min of stand up comedy you delivered

@popcorn_skollie, only the bike shops who knew told me that they need to measure the inner diameter of the headtube to verify if it can be done. To make a long story short only the shops who knew it could be done asked the right question.

@popcorn_skollie, only the bike shops who knew told me that they need to measure the inner diameter of the headtube to verify if it can be done. To make a long story short only the shops who knew it could be done asked the right question.

I also ran around asking this at various shops down here. Only one,  Droo told me it was possible and even said what sizing I needed

Took my bike into an LBS for a new BB - On the invoice they charged me for R300 labour and a bike clean...

They must have cleaned the bike before installing the BB, as the bike was way filthier when I picked it up than when I dropped it off - greasy mechanic's paw prints all over the show....

Proven wrong, just need the right tools/ adaptor.

Having said that it is my understanding it will not work in just any old straight steerer frame! Must have a specific type/size bottom bearing cup ....

My not-so-local bike shop told me this is how my cable is supposed to look. This was after the first ride on a brand new bike. When I said that it is definitely not meant to look like that they insisted that I was wrong....No sure if it is because I am a lady that they thought they could convince me it was meant to look like this or if they just really don't know how to cut and cap a cable...the rest of the service I got from them was not very good either.... 

post-51640-0-26457300-1442844579_thumb.jpg

Archived