To go 1 x10 or not to go 1 x 10

Maximis

Praxis. It's designed as an 11-40, so the shifting and intervals are better than an aftermarket converter.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Praxis. It's designed as an 11-40, so the shifting and intervals are better than an aftermarket converter.

this...went this route after doing a bit of reading

Easy to setup, doesnt compromise shifting in bigger cogs and still gives good range.

Looking for some advice:

What do you think is the better option:

1 - Rapide cog extender on a xt cassette (with a 16t as well) - 11-40/42

2 - Praxis 11-40 wide range cassette.

I've got a standard 11-36 xt cassette (still in the box), so trying to decide which option to go for...

Praxis. 

Ja what's the price on this in SA?

Praxis? Not much change from R 2k. But enough to buy yourself a beer to soften the blow a bit.

Ouch ... I guess for now I'll just have to htfu on my 1 x 10 11-36

Got a XT cassette still in packaging that needs to go on soon ... I did 5000km on my original SLX 11-36, time for replacement as shifting is a bit crappy in a couple of the cogs the last while.

Nice and tidy 1 x 11 XTR

Very nice..I've got the same setup...except opted for the SRAM carbon crank (much lighter)...but have kept the XTR RD, Shifter, cassette, chain etc as the Shimano shifting is smoother than SRAM.

Best of both worlds.

In Gauteng: go 32 up front & 11/36 on the back.

In KZN: go 30 up front & 11/36 on the back.

In WC: go 30 up front & 11/36 on the back. If that's too tough on the legs, take a break, re-assess; & trap daai fiets!

I would go 1x10 on a second bike, and leave the 2x10 for stage races, where the race profiles always have some kickers....

Can you guys give a hint.  When do I know to replace my NW chainring?  When it starts dropping chains or are there other symptoms (chainsuck etc?)

I see Rapide have a very reasonably priced NW offering, so I want to pull the trigger if I need to but I reckon my CSixx is still ok for a while.  It's done about 6000km on it.

Looking for some advice:

What do you think is the better option:

1 - Rapide cog extender on a xt cassette (with a 16t as well) - 11-40/42

2 - Praxis 11-40 wide range cassette.

I've got a standard 11-36 xt cassette (still in the box), so trying to decide which option to go for...

Praxis!

I took the leap the other day, went 34T oval chainring up front with a Praxis 11-40 Wide range at the back. Haven't looked back! Legs are still adjusting to the oval but the shifting on the cassette is great. I saw someone mentioned R2k, I picked mine up brand new from Summit Bikes for R1650. The guy (Donovan) delivered it to me in Stellenbosch.

Can you guys give a hint.  When do I know to replace my NW chainring?  When it starts dropping chains or are there other symptoms (chainsuck etc?)

I see Rapide have a very reasonably priced NW offering, so I want to pull the trigger if I need to but I reckon my CSixx is still ok for a while.  It's done about 6000km on it.

They stop holding the chain as well when they're reaching the end of their life. By the time you get to chainsuck territory your chain and cassette will be finished as well...

They stop holding the chain as well when they're reaching the end of their life. By the time you get to chainsuck territory your chain and cassette will be finished as well...

Meaning actual chain drop? I'm also not sure on mine, and whether I need to replace it together with chain and cassette, which i'm doing soon?

i just went 1 x 9, 11 - 32 and 36 up front.  fine for everything around centurion, going to k@k a little at Breedts Hakahana and Van Galens.  But if these single speed okes can ride there with 32/17, then a 36/32 has to be doable!

gonna leave it like that for a while, (but have ordered 34, 32 and 30 chainrings from aliexpress @ R300 each).   will also add a 11 - 34 cassette. 

true poor man's setup :-)

i just went 1 x 9, 11 - 32 and 36 up front.  fine for everything around centurion, going to k@k a little at Breedts Hakahana and Van Galens.  But if these single speed okes can ride there with 32/17, then a 36/32 has to be doable!

gonna leave it like that for a while, (but have ordered 34, 32 and 30 chainrings from aliexpress @ R300 each).   will also add a 11 - 34 cassette. 

true poor man's setup :-)

wow man, strong like an ox ...

Archived