RIP cradle MTB route

Furbz

Sadly rode the cradle route this AM.

i've always loved that route.

the faster you go the more technical it becomes! 

unfortunately someone has decided to destroy the awesome tight single track and turn it into a meter wide sand pit. SUCH A FAIL.

trails are becoming so dumbed down now days that they actually suck the fun out of the sport.

for reference, and to be fair. 

its not the entire track. just the section near the Rhino & Lion park.

i rescind all of the above if the trail is actually in the process of being made more awesome and i have just caught it on a bad day.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Probably the same nanny's that caused the Cradle tar roads to have those flapping (sic) emergency lane markers.  

trails are becoming so dumbed down now days that they actually suck the fun out of the sport.

Very true!

Roadies must stay on the road, if they want to get dirty they can roll around in some sand like their maltese poodles after they've bathed them.

Not specifically speaking of the cradle but all proper MTB trails.

Very true!

Roadies must stay on the road, if they want to get dirty they can roll around in some sand like their maltese poodles after they've bathed them.

Not specifically speaking of the cradle but all proper MTB trails.

Some of us roadies don't have the skilllzzz to ride real trails...we need all the help we can get

Some of us roadies don't have the skilllzzz to ride real trails...we need all the help we can get

Then please feel free to stay ON the road and not OFF it! :whistling:

If you're going to mountain bike at least get the basic skills under your belt. It'll make it more fun to ride.

Sadly rode the cradle route this AM.i've always loved that route.the faster you go the more technical it becomes!  unfortunately someone has decided to destroy the awesome tight single track and turn it into a meter wide sand pit. SUCH A FAIL.trails are becoming so dumbed down now days that they actually suck the fun out of the sport. for reference, and to be fair. its not the entire track. just the section near the Rhino & Lion park. i rescind all of the above if the trail is actually in the process of being made more awesome and i have just caught it on a bad day.

Are you talking about the section from Kloofzicht down to the turning circle?

If you're going to mountain bike at least get the basic skills under your belt. It'll make it more fun to ride.

what must I learn as basic skilllzzz ?

I'm sure it's all part of the trail maintenance and progress, as per the thread Fat Boab quoted, Hero Adventure is in charge of the Cradle Loop now and I can't see them making anything that's crappy to ride a permanent feature. 

For basic skills would include being able to go over any green rated obstacles as per IMBA (see attached diagram/picture), ride your way through and over rock gardens/root traps and railing berms. It's also nice to be able to handle drop off's but I wouldn't say it's overly essential if you're only going to do casual mountain bike rides. Also check out GMBN's YouTube channel. They have a lot of useful videos with incredible tips to help you skill up if you really want to.

post-51480-1445081453,9012.jpeg

You must learn to bunny hop. And ramp over a plywood board on two bricks and get like three feet of air.

Be nice to others, always greet, and never be out on the trails without a smile. :w00t:

So how do you propose the roadies learn the skills required to ride off road if they are not welcome off road? Must I practice in my garden so that I don't annoy you?

Not everybody is born with natural Greg talents and the skills need to be learnt and practiced....

The Cradle MTB trail is not a technical trail and is the perfect place for a roadie to start making the transition to dirt. If it's technical routes you want and dirty roadies you loathe, maybe go ride Red/Black routes, you won't find roadies there.

The Cradle MTB trail is not a technical trail and is the perfect place for a roadie to start making the transition to dirt. If it's technical routes you want and dirty roadies you loathe, maybe go ride Red/Black routes, you won't find roadies there.

Agree with you 100%

its not a technical trail! 

so why did they feel the need to dumb it down further.

its now a meter wide, flat, mostly straight section. might as well be tar!

Archived