RIP cradle MTB route

Furbz

Well not only the elvation / technical aspects, but having done a good few mtb events in the broader Cradle area over the years, this trail hardly 'show cases' the  area and what is has to offer off road cyclists be they citizens, vistors, tourists whatever.In fact i think it shows a total lack of imagination and creativity in route planning and creation, especially given all the public money that was used, the amount was quite large if I remember correctly. What alternatives were considered?

I feel a PIA application coming on....

Its a bit jammy that whole cradle cycling thing, some time ago there was a race and cycle festival that passed through the area as well as Magalies (which forms part of the COH). Unfortunately they only mentioned a few accommodation venues near the caves etc nothing in Magalies (even though we have loads of options here from hotels to self catering), when I emailed to get some clarity I received this from the marketing company:

Your point is well made and we do appreciate the fact that some of the

> trail does indeed run through your area. For this particular project

> Gauteng Tourism have asked us specifically to give a primary push to

> the Cradle as a Premier Cycling destination. In any follow up releases

> we will ensure to include Magaliesburg.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Absurd debate this - the whole idea of MTB is to ride the road less travelled and discover "new" trails. If the Cradle or any of the other established routes now bores you or has become too easy for your awesomeness then move on - plenty of options around the area and if you are serious about "proper" technical challenges then you will know where to find them.

Personally I think that it's great to have an "easy" MTB route that is also easily accessible such as Cradle as it serves a particular purpose and allows a wide variety and LARGE group of people to experience, enjoy - and yes - improve their skills. Just see how many people are out on the weekend.

Let go of your preciousness - it can only be a good thing the more people we get on bicycles, regardless of what type and where they ride. What's that about horses for courses - maybe it should be courses for horses?

Just smile and wave :whistling:

Nicely said

Ultimately its another option for us to ride on so its all good. More trail equals happier Eldron.

Some trails are lekker cos they challenge you and get the juices flowing - others are cool because you can take a chilled ride with your mates without having to think at all. Its all a winner.

Exactly, it's another option and hats off for the hard work that goes into giving us this trail.

Great for people trying to get into the sport too....

Remember, this was brought up when Hero took over Kings Kloof, reports that many of the routes were being graded out. 

With respect to Hero, they have some great venues and routes but the level trail building and signage especially are not that great. Imho. 

The first skill to learn regarding mtb, is to ride mtb, and forsake road-riding... :whistling:

As for technical sections, nothing quite beats learning technical skills but simply riding technical bits....I started on the trails of Meerendal, rode them a couple times before progressing to more technical trails like Contermans. 2 years later and I am a speed freak on anything resembling technical single track. The evidence of this is the new full-sus I am about to buy, as well as the 3 rear hubs and two spokes I have destroyed in the last 6 months, mainly due to my inability to take anything remotely resembling a chicken run.

Somehow I am forever grateful I live in Cape Town, with all our ridiculously fantastic variety of trails etc we have here. Learning skills come with the terrain, literally.

You sound amazing... Stay gnaRRRly bro...!

Everyone on this thread that's not on flat pedals, 780mm bars and 30mm stems must just STFU!

Monday morning lols, but mine is 740mm bars with 60mm stem and clipless pedals and it's a twenny naainer  -  Sue The Funny Uncle/User. :w00t:

Sadly rode the cradle route this AM.

i've always loved that route.

the faster you go the more technical it becomes! 

Hey Furbz there are some far better options around there .Its a fast long line but hardly worth crying about .The entry of roadies into MTB  has to happen . Its a natural progression of outdoor,nature loving people who have started out on the road .technical skills take time ,blood and bruises to acquire.Having a soft landing lessens the school fees.Give em a chance-its a great trail and adding it to other trails in the area gives you plentch distaance-but go easy on the roadies they are getting it slowly . 

Having never ridden a road bike ....I digress.

Love all the super skilled super heroes on here... you guys are awesome - keep believing!

My money is they widened the trail to allow overtaking, because these self same super heroes bitched about getting stuck behind noobs on the single-track (and yet couldn't with all their awesomeness overtake off the track). I've seen it plenty!  :eek:

Complaining about the free trail (finally something useful with our tax money!) when there are half a dozen Mtb parks (with very fair pricing) all within farting distance of there...

I'm not sure how I am going to sleep tonight

Morning okes , received a couple of calls re this thread and asked to please comment , so guess I’m either a sucker for punishment or hopefully able to give some insight as to what is happening with the Cradle Trail .

1st off since we started with Hero Adventure we knew we would never be able to please EVERYONE , no matter how hard we try( and we are trying our butts off) and the constant changes we make , we always get a bunch of positive , constructive  and then some negative comments . Hopefully ,somehow we try and find some kind of middle ground

We are always available for feedback, advice and constructive criticism and I trust this shows.

Re Cradle Trail :

This is a project owned and run by Government. Hero Adventure have been contracted very recently to take over the maintenance on the trails . We are VERY STRICTLY guided by a book of specifications from the client as to what we must do and how the trail must be managed and maintained. We are constantly working with the relevant people to discuss changes but at this point we are still in the very beginning of the project.

At this point we are in the middle of phase 1 which is a “clean up phase” in our specification the 1st 5 odd kms are designed for families and newbies . The trail width needs to be 1-1,2m wide with a further 0.5 low cut vegetation on either side. This section of the trail needs to be easy and doable for everyone. From there it will narrow to about 0.6 m and so on. We are currently ensuring these specifications are implemented through the entire 18km and should be done in the next few weeks. Together with this we will be spraying and doing a few other things to ensure the growth and potential dangerous obstacles on this trail are managed. it must be noted that the rains have not yet hit us and there will be a natural narrowing of the trail and this will then ensure that all sharp dangerous rocks and so on have been removed once this happens .

Once this phase is done we will then move on to remoulding some of the sections of the trail and making some changes that include flow sections, Berms, camber changes and so on .

Trust the above now gives everyone a better idea on the process we are working on , again we have specifications we have to adhere to and I think it is also only fare to give us a chance before forming an opinion on the end result when we are only a few weeks into a 12 month project .

You also need to understand that the Cradle Trail is developed to cater for newbies and social Mountain Bikers. it will never be a trail for the cyclists who are looking for seriously technical riding and a above average skill . it is a trail that everyone should be able to ride and a sort of introduction to mountain biking that will give people the confidence to then go and cycle more adventurous  trails . Having said that the section from Lion and Rhino will be need a little more skill and the harder you ride the more difficult it will be .

Then lastly on Hero and our trail building capabilities or as some might put it “lack there of “ . Guys again everyone has a different opinion and we listen and value all advice. We do not and have never professed to be the best trail builders out there . We learn new things everyday. What I can say with certainty is we work our asses off out of love and passion for the sport. I am probably going to be nailed for this comment but I wish that sometimes guys would just take a step back and come and spend some time with us to see the amount of work and effort that goes into designing, developing and maintaining all of this stuff. It is dog work and long hours in the hot sun, rain and even dark but we do it because we love it. I don’t believe there is such a thing as a perfect trail. Everyone has different skill levels and things they like or don’t. Hopefully somewhere during their ride they get to experience a section or 2 that meets that need and they can go away with some sense of enjoyment.

We have said it a hundred times and I say it again. We are constantly learning and welcome comments and advice. We also welcome anyone who has a gap to come and spend some time with us and show us tricks or lessons they have that can improve the products we deliver. You are our clients and we value your support. Ultimately it is you who keep us going and if there are things you can assist with to help us to improve we welcome it.

Thanks once again to all those who support what we are doing and those who help in so many ways along the way. Our doors are always open hopefully in a few months there will be allot more positive feedback on the Cradle Trail. 

My garden is actually pretty small, but we can set up an an IDT on the lawn and not shave our legs if you want ;)

I think I'll pass. Going nowhere on a bike however fast has never appealed to me. But thanks for the invite.

I think I'll pass. Going nowhere on a bike however fast has never appealed to me. But thanks for the invite.

The offer stands, I can even get the missus to randomly throw mud at us to add authenticity.

Question for Dflip:

If the 1 st 5km is for newbies, how are they going to get back to the start ?

Archived